Andrew530dmsport

Oil level above maximum warning

Not sure if this has been discussed already but got a message flash up last night on the iDrive screen saying oil level above maximum. Had the car serviced a few months back at the main stealers and no issue with the amount of oil put in the vehicle. Called dealer today and this is a problem they are now seeing a lot I’m told on G30 and G31 vehicles. Yet another software update required at the dealers. I suspect from what I was told this is an emerging issue with the 5 Series. To add insult to injury, on the same day the EGR valve on our 420d is playing up so both cars will be at the dealers! Just need the Range Rover to go tech and they can have all three ! 

Is it really a software update, or is that what they are telling you so you don't find out what's really happening?

I can't see how a software update would change the facts being provided i.e. the oil level was ok when it was done, but for some reason it has now increased.  Could it have picked up extra fluid from somewhere e.g. coolant?  If we had a regular dipstick, you'd be able to confirm the real level of the oil.  Sometimes simple is best.

All I can report is what the main dealer quoted which was this message is now appearing more often on these vehicles. I’m going to check the oil to see what condition it’s in as if there is coolant in it, it will show. I’m also going to look for this warning on other forums and report back. The only saving grace is that they didn’t want the car immediately which if they knew of contamination I’d have thought would be the case.

This from another forum. Doesn’t bode well.

Two days ago, I got an iDrive notification saying "Oil level above maximum". However, I didn't tip up oil or do anything to trigger it. BMW Assist ended up picking up the car as they didn't want me to drive around with it. 

I got my car back today. Dealer is saying it's a faulty reading from a sensor and they've cleared the fault by recoding the car. Apparently sensor itself is not faulty. Has anyone else got this fault? What caused it? 

Interestingly tow truck driver said, he's picked up quite a few BMWs with the same error in the last 6 months.

I imagine the software update is something about the dpf regeneration strategy, as that was the cause of all of these issues on the last few generations of diesel BMW

Make sure you insist on having the oil changed when the car goes in.

Edited by Johnyboy

1 hour ago, Andrew530dmsport said:

. Dealer is saying it's a faulty reading from a sensor and they've cleared the fault by recoding the car. Apparently sensor itself is not faulty. Has anyone else got this fault? What caused it? 

maybe the oil was sloshing around in the sump under hard cornering.

didn't somebody else have this problem here a couple of months ago??

Andrew530dmsport.. See here, I have had the same issue and many others too. I have been back and forward with the dealership many times with no real explanation to the root cause of the issue. 

Edited by Zaid

Had this issue over 6 months ago. Originally I just remessured and reset in idrive and seemed to work for a few days. Once warning came back I took it in. BMW said it needed a software update and was common problem. Once this was done not had warning again. I could not tell you exact issue that caused it. Just go back to dealer they will sort it. 

Edited by microcar

7 hours ago, Saftlad said:

If we had a regular dipstick, you'd be able to confirm the real level of the oil.  Sometimes simple is best.

My 2019 530d does have a regular dipstick. I imagine other 530ds have one too. Unlike the F10 3L diesel you have to unclip the plastic engine cover to get to this one but fundamentally it's in the same place. Back of the engine near the bulkhead on the right hand side if you are standing at the front of the car looking towards the rear. more reliable than the electronic version any day.