DennisCooper

Innovadrive NXG-39 / OEM look Double DIN Fascia

Hi,

I've just had an update that a Pioneer head unit that is suitably short depth has been released by them, but seems its a USA model/release currently ;

Pioneer short body - https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/DMH-W4660NEX

Right up to date with features and specification with both wired and Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which I suspect more head units will go with over the next couple years. 

USA pricing is around $600, so anyone looking to import one in I'd estimate it'd cost around the £680/700 level landed with all taxes/duty/shipping and clearance fees paid. I've had a number of people asking if Pioneer have a suitably short depth head unit and they are the last brand to have short enough depth units for the E39 (and E46/E38/E53 etc). Lets hope Pioneer UK decide to release a UK version !

**This unit is 1mm too tall to fit into the NXG-39's aperture like the Kenwood DMX125DAB mentioned earlier in the thread.  The quick resolution is mentioned earlier, to file off 1mm of material of the NXG-39, about 10 minutes or so to do it! **

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

Hi Dennis,

I will definitely be interested once I’ve bought a 530i (going to view one this week) and have satisfied myself that no big mechanical bills might be on the horizon.

Do you know which of the no-mod head units have CarPlay? It’s a must for me coming from a Saab with a retrofitted SPH DA120. Would prefer wireless CarPlay if possible...

2 hours ago, Joey530i said:

I will definitely be interested once I’ve bought a 530i (going to view one this week) and have satisfied myself that no big mechanical bills might be on the horizon.

You're buying an expensive car built at best 17 years ago... there will be bills and they'll mostly be big :)

As for the other question, any double din mechless (no optical drive support) head unit should fit so look for those that support CarPlay. Most of the big names will Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, etc.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/category.asp?m=&c=2809&brandfilter=&features=94&pageItem=12&sort_by_popularity=DESC&v=

Hi, 

Adamhearn - Agreed! These cars are at an age now where some spend could be needed in order to keep them running very well ! Just done a stack of aspects to mine !

Joey530i - Hopefully you do find a well kept and great example soon, they are out there so it's a question of finding one !  If you look on page 2 of this thread, I've listed the shallow depth head units that are available and many have Apple CarPlay. You can check the various brands websites for more information and features lists for each. As for wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, there's not many on the market as yet, they're just beginning to become available and currently, they're USA specific models. The Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX for instance, so this would need to be imported if you want Wireless Apple CarPlay now. In forthcoming range updates by all the brands, I'm sure more models with wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay will become available. 

Just a few little bits of things need doing to my car and then I'll fit in the Alpine iLX-W650 I've just had delivered. Currently, I'm fine with a wired connection to the head unit. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Finally got this unit installed in my recently acquired 530i Touring...BMW count now up to 4 lol :ph34r:

20200821_183736.jpg20200821_183749.jpg20200821_205031.jpg

It's nice quality and looks like it belongs in the car so I am really happy.  Even I managed to install it so it must be simple :lol:

I do keep trying to adjust the volume with the fake "knob" though lol :huh:   Thankfully I have bought a kit that allows for the steering wheel volume up/down and track/station skip to work (and it worked first time amazingly)

Thanks to Dennis for the prompt service ;)

Hi Splondike,

There's more really nice, long since tucked away BMW's coming up onto the market nowadays! you might want to take the various car listing sites of your browser faves lists !

Glad you're happy with everything and thanks for the kind words !

I'm sure soon enough you'll get used to using the steering wheel buttons.. and easy quick swipes on the screen of the Kenwood too !

Will catch you up soon no doubt!

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi,

I've been in touch with my contacts at Pioneer and Alpine UK and the latest is;

Pioneer - There's no plans as yet for a UK release of a short body double DIN head unit like the DMH-4660NEX above which is a USA release. I've registered with them again that they're the last of the high quality, respected brands to offer a short enough depth unit for BMW owners of E39/E46/E38/E53 etc cars. Over time, I'm sure they will eventually release a unit for the UK market !

Alpine - Over a year since the  iLX-W650 was released in the USA, and no UK release, in the last few weeks Alpine UK have the iLX-W650BT. It's the UK version of course and I believe available now - https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/head-units/ilx-w650bt  recommended retail is £399 and I'd expect street level pricing to be a little less. 

Cheers, Dennis!