DennisCooper

Innovadrive NXG-39 / OEM look Double DIN Fascia

Hi, I'm interested in getting one for my beloved 2002 E39 M5 :)

2 questions:

Does it fit a Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX?

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVIC-W8400NEX#specs

And how do I purchase one?

Thanks!

-Erik

Hi Erik,

Thank you for the interest and questions!

The Pioneer head unit you reference has a disk mechanism, so looking at the Pioneer website & the 'whats in the box video'  it's a traditional depth unit. This means that in order for you to fit it so that it's sits flush in the NXG-39 & dash area like in the pictures, you'd need to have your cabin airbox modified to create the space it'd need. Contact Pioneer USA to ask them the dimensions of the screen's bezel. If the sizing is within 172 x 96mm then it will fit.

I've dropped a message over to you with contact details. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

3 hours ago, franco90 said:

@@Dennis Cooper 

can you make this for the E38 please 

Hi Franco,

I'm almost sure its 'the' Franco from BF?!

I have the initial stages of the E46 version in development currently and then it's the turn of the E38 one..

Drop me a PM sometime soon :)

Cheers, Dennis!

16 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Franco,

I'm almost sure its 'the' Franco from BF?!

I have the initial stages of the E46 version in development currently and then it's the turn of the E38 one..

Drop me a PM sometime soon :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Done Sir 

On 17/12/2019 at 20:46, Piper said:

Hi Dennis, 

Could you please provide links to the best units that work best with the fascia.

Hi, 

I'll list model numbers here for the ones I know fit directly & others where slight/minimal modification is required , one unit for instance is 1mm too 'tall' 

Direct Fitment head units;

Parrot Asteroid Smart (Discontinued. New old stock is still available from retailers from £375 and used units from around £175)

Alpine iLX-700 (Discontinued. New old stock is still available from retailers from £310 and used units from around £200)

Alpine iLX-W650 (Current model. USA model & needs to be imported in if outside the USA and costs around £310 inclusive of all taxes/VAT/Shipping) (**updated pricing is around the £360 level nowadays - stock availability, Covid19/lockdown/transport & shipping costs have caused a hike as of April 2020)

Kenwood DMX7018DABS (Current Model. Typical discount retailer pricing is around £350+)

Kenwood eXcelon DMX706s (Current model. USA model & needs to be imported if outside the USA and costs around £330 inclusive of all taxes/VAT/Shipping) 

The above head units are all Shallow depth physically meaning no requirement to cut/modify the cabin Airbox and also have been fitted by owners using the NXG-39. 

Head units that require minimal modification of the NXG-39

Kenwood DMX125DAB - This unit is 1mm too tall to fit into the NXG-39's aperture for the 'nose' of the head unit to fit through. Filing/cutting down by 1mm will allow the unit to fit. Current model and typical UK Retail pricing is around £180. ( I have one of these I'm just about to fit into an NXG-39 by filing down by 1mm for test fitting & pictures) 

Pioneer DMH-4660NEX - This unit is 1mm too tall to fit into the NXG-39's aperture like the Kenwood above! The quick resolution is mentioned above. Pricing is $600 USD so a landed in the UK price inclusive of all taxes/duty/shipping and clearance fees I'd estimate would be around the £680-700 level (July 20)

Other shallow depth, fully features Double DIN head units

Sony XAV-AX3005DB - This unit has an 'L' shaped, single DIN full depth rear chassis but crucially, the chassis body sits above where the E39 cabin airbox is. Typical UK discounted retail price is around £300+

JVC KW-M745DBT - Shallow Depth double DIN. Typical UK discounted retail price is around £340+

JVC KW-M741BT - Shallow Depth double DIN. Typical UK discounted retail price is around £299+ 

Pioneer SPH-EVO62DAB-UNI - A new style of unit with a screen section mounted to a single DIN full depth chassis or, seems it's can be connected via a lead to have the chassis mounted elsewhere. I've not had a chance to get this unit physically in my hands to test as yet and currently seems to be the only unit from Pioneer UK that could work. Their other potential head units aren't shallow enough for clearing the E39 cabin air box. 

I'm in regular contact with the above brands UK product management teams at their respective UK HQ's and feed back to them about making full feature and shallow enough depth head units for the 1995/6 to 2005/6 era BMW's from the 3,5,7 series and X5. The CES 2020 show is a couple weeks away now so keeping an eye if any new models are announced for release next year. 

I'll create a separate thread with pictures of the units fitted with the NXG-39 in customers cars. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

On 23/07/2019 at 14:38, DennisCooper said:

Hi Erik,

Thank you for the interest and questions!

The Pioneer head unit you reference has a disk mechanism, so looking at the Pioneer website & the 'whats in the box video'  it's a traditional depth unit. This means that in order for you to fit it so that it's sits flush in the NXG-39 & dash area like in the pictures, you'd need to have your cabin airbox modified to create the space it'd need. Contact Pioneer USA to ask them the dimensions of the screen's bezel. If the sizing is within 172 x 96mm then it will fit.

I've dropped a message over to you with contact details. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Sir posted on Bimmerforums

3 minutes ago, zukgod1 said:

DennisCooper. is the one franco90 posted the same as the E39? 

If so, I may need a second one :)

YES it is but you need to modify it to fit the E38 , as you see it fits you need to modify the innovadrive nxg39 

let me know if you need assistance doing it on your E38

Hi,

Franco - Thank you very much for the order and pictures of the install in your E38 ! The 'official' NXG-38 is in design stages and it'll be great to get more of your feedback in due course, but it's great to see 'projects' like this where it can be 'made to work' where it wasn't quite designed to !  Once you get the trims all back in place can you get some more pictures to include more of the dash/interior please !? 

Zukgod1 - As per Franco, yes it is indeed the NXG-39 model and he's modified it in order to make it fit as you see there. We are in discussion to get more relevant information to help in the design of an 'NXG-38' which will happen in due course but as yet, I'm unsure of when. I am researching the market level interest etc. If you do want another NXG-39 in the meantime, I can get it out to you just as quickly as the first one arrived with you !

Cheers, Dennis!

Hey Dennis Cooper. I Am from the states and I came across the NGX-39. Is there a website I can buy this ? I went through the trouble of making a whole account just to try to communicate with you. Thank you. If you can please email me at Petersoto221@gmail.com or if you have an iPhone u can message me at petersoto221@icloud.com . Not sure how long it will take for u to get back to me. But if you can reach me there it’ll be much faster. Thanks not sure if I even get notifications on this post or how it works. 

8 hours ago, Petersoto221 said:

Hey Dennis Cooper. I Am from the states and I came across the NGX-39. Is there a website I can buy this ? I went through the trouble of making a whole account just to try to communicate with you. Thank you. If you can please email me at Petersoto221@gmail.com or if you have an iPhone u can message me at petersoto221@icloud.com . Not sure how long it will take for u to get back to me. But if you can reach me there it’ll be much faster. Thanks not sure if I even get notifications on this post or how it works. 

he will get to you buddy remember time difference 

Hi,

Peter - Thanks for the message! I've responded back to you via your email address provided - check you Junk/ Spam filter in case the message drops in there by mistake!

Franco - Thank you very much for these pictures! The E38's that don't have OEM navigation have the cover flap that matches the line of the trim and ones with Nav obviously don't, but the monitor itself then sits further forward by perhaps 1.5cm. The upper area is more curved in the E38 so this is where the NXG-39 differs from the shape needed to match better. That said, it still looks good in situ there! Can you also post these and any more updated pictures over on the BF.com thread as well please ?!

Cheers, Dennis!

7 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

Peter - Thanks for the message! I've responded back to you via your email address provided - check you Junk/ Spam filter in case the message drops in there by mistake!

Franco - Thank you very much for these pictures! The E38's that don't have OEM navigation have the cover flap that matches the line of the trim and ones with Nav obviously don't, but the monitor itself then sits further forward by perhaps 1.5cm. The upper area is more curved in the E38 so this is where the NXG-39 differs from the shape needed to match better. That said, it still looks good in situ there! Can you also post these and any more updated pictures over on the BF.com thread as well please ?!

Cheers, Dennis!

I am happy with my set up but I am number 1 with the E38 set up 

1 minute ago, franco90 said:

I'll absolutely keep you in the loop for the development of the NXG-38 version :)

Cheers, Dennis!

13 hours ago, franco90 said:

Looks dang good Franco. My E38 is patiently waiting for a better sound system.. The M5 is still not installed though I think I'm getting closer to having the time needed to complete. Supercharger first, priorities right? 

Hi,

A couple weeks ago I filed 1mm off the lower edge of the aperture to allow the 'nose' of the Kenwood DMX-125DAB to fit through. Took me 10 minutes or so to use the hand file and stop to check the fit every so often. 

IMG_20200330_160630_zpsegayvxyk.jpg

IMG_20200330_160738_zpsfzjwzl49.jpg

IMG_20200330_160752_zps1khp1s6g.jpg

Haven't had a chance to install into the car just yet, but will do soon. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Taken a while to get around to this, actually installed it last year.

Kenwood DMX7018DAB.

Note that the lower front inside of the opening for the headunit requires slight modification, as per Dennis' post above regarding a DMX125. Maybe all Kenwoods?

Shame about the silver surround of the screen, but that's Kenwoods fault! 

Infinitely better than the terrible plain blanking plate this car came with and other such surrounds that I've seen on others, good job D.

DSCN3768.thumb.JPG.631a6f4f94db913c022f1be272d1263f.JPG

DSCN3767.thumb.JPG.16eba60cc74ca4a949f85e320e62a7f8.JPG

DSCN3766.thumb.JPG.b11821b1e9af3c4bec8bd888d5e45615.JPG

Edited by Pzero

Hi Pzero,

Thanks for the update there !

There's been some other installs using the Kenwood DMX7018DAB but I've not heard them feed back they have had to file away 1mm or so. There's 'just' enough give on the top 'bar' of the NXG-39 that allows some flex so perhaps they've managed to squeeze the unit in. The DMX125DAB just wasn't having that and absolutely needs the 1mm of material removal.

Thanks for the kind words and glad you're happy with your install :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi again Dennis, just wanted to reach out again in the e38 development. Have you made any progress there?

If yes, I'm ready to buy. If not I suppose the e39 model will do even if I need to modify it a bit.

Email me?

Dan

Hi Dan,

I've not done any development on a E38 version, but that's not to say I won't be in the future. For now, my next focus will be an E46 3 Series version as there's significantly more demand there. I'll drop you a message as well.

Cheers, Dennis!