d_a_n1979

E39 530i - 55k miles

Lovely motor - it's Titan Silver as Aspen was a darker pre-facelift colour.

Has rare folding rear seats too!!

He wants big money for it,i,m sure it was up as a classified ad for either 6 or 7 thousand about a month ago.

Pretty basic spec, with crap tyres too. Can soon be sorted, but overall in great nick

I reckon it’ll go for around £5k, IMO that’s a realistic price for it... Any higher they’re either desperate to buy it, or the sellers getting pals to bid on it for him

I think anyone that is paying those prices for basic spec e39,s must be an enthusiast,it,s a 17year old gas guzzler,with cheap tyres and it will need a service and preventative maintenance doing to it no matter what the ad says,

I can see the price premium on Alpinas and M5,s but the classifieds are littered with e39 520,s 525,s and 530,s that in my opinion are way over priced,

Don,t get me wrong,I love the e39 and would have another,still wish today i had my 530i Sport Tourer,but i also wish some of these bidders had been about when i was selling mine.

Crap/cheap tyres? Didn't realise that everyone was on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's doing 200 mph on the way to work here....Unless you drive it like you stole it, you will struggle to tell the difference between budgets and premiums in every day driving at legal limits.

The fact that it has 4 new tyres is surely a plus? Of course, one could argue that it's "cutting costs" and the owner is being cheap, but I think budget tyres are a very trivial thing to look at when assessing the condition of the car.  It's very common to see almost bold Pirellis or Continentals on expensive cars, so I wouldn't really count NEW budget tyres as a negative and would look at the rest of the car to get a better picture of the overall condition.

Saying that, I'm a bit sad myself and not a fan of silly modifications on this particular car, like a reversing camera, tinted windows, black M badge on the boot, carbon black wheel centre caps and the private plate...Very minor, I know, but it's not right.

No wonder it took me almost a year before I bought my current car...

Edited by Blackman

No, nothing to do with driving like a loony, they’re shitty tyres and I personally would want them off ASAP if I bought the car... 

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:47, d_a_n1979 said:

No, nothing to do with driving like a loony, they’re shitty tyres and I personally would want them off ASAP if I bought the car... 

Got to agree... They're nicknamed "ditch finders" for a reason. From my own experience, the difference in a spirited drive on crap rubber and quality rubber is the difference between fearing for my life and enjoyment. ;)

That said, factor in a new set of boots and offer accordingly as some owners haven't the faintest clue when buying such things!

C.

Years ago I was recommended a good value tyre place by a mate not preinternet but before we were all on line. 

I enquired about some michelin for my e28 and the response was why do you want to spend so much on an old car?

funnily enough they didn't get my business...

3 hours ago, 740mick said:

This car is on Autotrader now at £4750.

Worth it IMO. Shame it’s faitly basic...

Well known trader resellers would gave it up at £7k imo :roll: