BigMo

Folding mirror owners

Bought a set of folding mirrors a while back but only had them painted last week so installed them and I’m not sure if one is faulty. 

The driver side doesnt seem to fold in as much as the passenger side. I’ve been told by someone this is normal but would appreciate advice from owners before I try to disassemble the mirror and more than likely mess it up. 

44 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Bought a set of folding mirrors a while back but only had them painted last week so installed them and I’m not sure if one is faulty. 

The driver side doesnt seem to fold in as much as the passenger side. I’ve been told by someone this is normal but would appreciate advice from owners before I try to disassemble the mirror and more than likely mess it up. 

I do have folding mirrors i will check 4 u.

Just had a look and yes the passenger side seem to fold more that the driver side...

Edited by amazighman

1 hour ago, amazighman said:

I do have folding mirrors i will check 4 u.

Just had a look and yes the passenger side seem to fold more that the driver side...

I’m pushing my luck but any chance of a photo of both sides? 

My 750il does the same, I always thought it strange that one folded more, but am content they both work so best left alone! 

I guess it must be normal but odd as every other car I have had with folding mirrors has never had this issue. Appreciate the replies guys. 

hello guys im interested in a pair of power folding mirrors! if anyone can point in the right direction ! thanks

I know I'm late to this party, but count me as another confirmation that they are meant to do that i.e. passenger side all the way in, drivers side sticks out a little. Never figured out why and initially thought there was something wrong with it, but yup, that's just what they do.

2 hours ago, rad22 said:

hello guys im interested in a pair of power folding mirrors! if anyone can point in the right direction ! thanks

Rad, Keep an eye on the parts and breakers section, I've scored a few bits I've wanted from there, including covers for my mirrors bought from user M535-MAN. Seeing as he had several covers available, he may have some mirror units as well? Otherwise ebay is going to be a likely bet. 

This may or may not help though - in my recent quest to replace the covers for mine, I discovered that the covers for the E38 7 series mirrors are the same part number and hence same fit as those for the E39 (confirmed as I bought a pair). From that, it's a fair bet that the E38 power mirrors themselves would also fit the E39, but not having had one in my hand I couldn't confirm that 100% Might be worth looking into, as a quick ebay search brings back quite a few more E38 mirrors than E39 ones. 

Edited by Pzero

Hi,

Only a theory, but I think one mirror folds more than the other in order to provide just that little bit more clearance when folded from passing cars. Reason I think this is that the AC Schnitzer mirrors I had on my car one was ever so slightly smaller than the other. They're off the car now & in storage so I can't take a picture right now!

I may be completely wrong though !

Cheers, Dennis!

The left mirror doesn’t fold more than the right - they both move the same distance.
The mirrors are actually mounted at different angles to account for the driver’s seating position.
It’s why RHD & LHD mirrors are different- the angles are opposite.
E39 electric fold in mirrors are the same as E38’s - Obviously BMW didn’t want to invest in developing E39 foldie’s.
So any E38 mirror cap will fit an E39 foldie.

They don't fold automatically as standard, you can buy modules that you wire in to fold them automatically.

I know the modlight unit can do that as well as a lot of other things. 

Edited by Qasim

Yes, you need the driver's side switch pack with the folding button near the mirror adjustment. And you also need the passenger door module for folding mirrors, I believe you can use one from an E38 also.

You'll need to replace the control module for them in the driver's door. That's the button pack with controls for all four windows and the mirror adjustment. Correct unit has an additional small Square button next to the L/R selector for mirror adjustment. Without that module, you won't be able to hold them by any means as far as I know, as that module controls the folding whether it by the button or coding to whatever trigger.

Don't have the part number to hand, but search for folding mirror threads on here, it's been given in several previous threads.

Edit - forgot to mention that you will also need to replace the passenger side module too.

Edited by Pzero

11 hours ago, Scott Selby said:

Is the loom in place, so it would be a matter of plug and play? I guess they automatically fold when the ignition is turned off/on?

The Intravee lets you do this,

or my the remote. Multiple options available.

Edited by MParallel