RichardP

E34 M5 Touring restoration

Scrapes in the paint, caused either during storage or transport of the exhaust sections.  They need touching up with some more high temperature paint.  It would be useful to know exactly what BMW use, the paint is the same as it is on the silencer of the M1 and there are one or two marks on that.  The colour is off black, sort of Anthracite, if you use black it stands out quite a bit.

Collected from Munich Legends a couple of weeks ago

48263483967_6a1dea968b_b.jpg

48263484192_300d1a77f5_b.jpg

As the car is now back home and I can now get to work on really cleaning it up.  I've had a bit of a go at the interior, still work in progress, I'll just leave these here for now.

48349018271_758c1ab744_b.jpg

48349155997_d8b4e426c9_b.jpg

48349155817_75f40c0dd1_b.jpg

I'll post some more pictures later.

Hi Richard,

wow%20just%20rocked%20it_zpsovwzatrm.gif

clap-3.gif

Makes me miss my E34 ! I'm sure once you've gone over it to the standard you want, it'll look even better !  Did the E34 M5 come with E36 M3 mirrors as factory fitment as I can't quite remember now!

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

Yes Dennis, option 784 'Aerodynamic Mirrors'.

The option was introduced for the 1993 model year, 9/92, the same time as the E36 M3 started production, although the mirrors look similar, they are not the same part number as the E36 version. 

Edited by RichardP

Glorious motorcar and, like your others, a credit to you.

I'm not sure the aero mirrors were ever standard on an M5; I believe (from what I've read) they were always a cost option? 

Do you have a buyers brochure to let you know what options there were on an M5 Touring at that time?

Not sure about the truck-like airbag steering wheel though...

2 hours ago, sharkfan said:

Glorious motorcar and, like your others, a credit to you.

I'm not sure the aero mirrors were ever standard on an M5; I believe (from what I've read) they were always a cost option? 

Do you have a buyers brochure to let you know what options there were on an M5 Touring at that time?

Not sure about the truck-like airbag steering wheel though...

I do have a Jan 1994 price list, but it's a UK version so the Touring is not listed.

For the saloon there is no mention of the aero mirrors, either as standard or optional equipment.

My car does have them specified on the build sheet though.

I'm not sure about the wheel, might start by getting it recovered and see what it's like, otherwise probably the three spoke non air bag wheel would be my choice and which was a no cost option from new. 

Hi Richard,

I can imagine that the actual M5 mirror's option would have been slightly different to the E36 M3 ones. I had a 3.8 Saloon M5 on my list of 4/5 cars I wanted in Summer 1999 and viewed a couple nice ones. I ended up with my sensible choice - a lovely cosmos black 95 525i Sport as a short few months later I purchased my initial property. Absolutely loved that car and kept it 5 years! I'd like to get another one again and theres' a few nice ones around my area I've spoken to the owners about !

The 'late' style steering wheel although not all that nice to look at given the expanse of airbag cover, I didn't mind at all in mine, it felt great to hold and use. Is there any later BMW model steering wheel's that could fit in place of it ? I had the non airbag 3 spoke 'earlier' steering wheel in a previous E30 and it is a nice wheel too. 

FB - My 525i came on the throwing stars and they along with the car were absolutely immaculate. I think the car did 80K miles of motorway miles over 4 years before I purchased it. I sold the wheels off quite quickly and (RichardP, look away now!) I bought a set of genuine AC Schnitzer 18" Type 3 monoblocks and partnered with some H&R springs - it was lovely to drive ! 

I need a house with a larger driveway & garaging now!

Cheers, Dennis!

The M Tech II wheel is the 'correct' alternative. 

image_1913_big.jpg

image_39804_big.jpg

It has no air bag so you'd have to connect a dummy plug.  Not sure how that would would work in my car as it has the passenger side air bag fitted.

Edited by RichardP

The Mregistry does mention another factory steering wheel option of a non-///M three spoke airbag wheel - you could get that one (whichever it is?) retrimmed and have ///M stitching added.

Loads of M5 owners have had the MTech II fitted with a passenger airbag so there should be no problem with a dummy plug.

A few improvements to the interior.

48688362982_6ed3c1ce5c_b.jpg

Replaced the rather nasty and 'bling' Sony radio with a BMW Professional RDS.  Of course the sound quality is relatively rubbish, but that's not the point of this car.

Wheel re-trimmed by Royal in the original embossed leather.

HVAC face plate replaced as it had been damaged somewhat internally in the past, probably when fitting the Sony radio.

Radio/HVAC frame replaced, again internally damaged.

Rev counter replaced, it was sticking very slightly between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm.  The replacements oil temperature gauge is marked in Fahrenheit, I preferred the original Centigrade version so I'll try and get it repaired. 

Numerous small screw covers and clips replaced.

I've also re-keyed the front passenger door lock as it was replaced due to damage and had a different key.

More significant interior work will be done in a couple of months.

Time, at last, for a little update.

Previous work concentrated on the chassis, suspension, running gear etc.  The bit that really let the car down was the interior.   The interior had been tidied up considerably, but there were some bits that required serious renovation.  In particular the drivers seat and the door cards needed attention.  

The drivers seat had been badly scratched, someone wearing a metal studded belt maybe?  This was before the tidying up

49449885501_6e190e21f8_b.jpg

It did look considerably better after re-dying, but the leather was quite hard and dried out.

The back seat was slightly scratched and had a small hole near the left side door.

49449407943_14cdaefbe2_b.jpg

Again, re-dying helped, but there was still a small hole in the leather.

Work started in October, the brief being to replicate the original interior as far as possible. I collected the car today, here are the results :

49449965606_4580c8d6a4_b.jpg

49450196112_be96267dce_b.jpg

49449965746_db2bb34775_b.jpg

49449966256_97431d91a9_b.jpg

49449966036_e2cb0875dd_b.jpg

49450196617_621db89008_b.jpg

49450197112_34b4e63a18_b.jpg

49449487968_96e1c7f5ab_b.jpg

49449965981_c409023e8a_b.jpg

If you go back and look at the door card pictures, you might notice that the top piece is now also leather covered.  Going to the trouble of redoing everything, I thought I might as well go the whole hog and do the door card tops and dash at the same time.

49449488613_a83fe7d668_b.jpg

49449966311_2c1bcb1bda_b.jpg

49449487883_481803339a_b.jpg

49449965861_5f0f918d4d_b.jpg

As the car has the front passenger air bag, I had a leather embossing stamp made to replicate the logo on the cover.

49449488223_32f85225aa_b.jpg

There were also a few issues with the headlining, again it had been patched up but still was not perfect.  Having gone to the trouble of replacing the leather, I thought it would be rude not to upgrade the headlining to anthracite Alcantara.  I did this to my E39 M5 and it was one of the best changes I made to that car.

Before

49449885291_2f5815bebb_b.jpg

After (difficult to take pictures of as it's relatively featureless) 

49449488098_6c95bf258b_b.jpg

49450197067_7b0a1f42a2_b.jpg

49449647458_0c4f83c64e_b.jpg

49450126451_f3f299ce5f_b.jpg

The sun visors were the only part that was not covered, I need to do some lateral thinking to find a way to finish the Alcantara around the mirror openings.

It looks absolutely fantastic, can't be many around now let alone in that condition. I remember switching out the cream headliner and pillars in my old E46 for athracite, it really does make a huge difference.

6 hours ago, FLX said:

It looks absolutely fantastic, can't be many around now let alone in that condition. I remember switching out the cream headliner and pillars in my old E46 for athracite, it really does make a huge difference.

Being and M5 the headlining was already Anthracite, but cloth. However the different pieces had aged at different rates so the colour was not uniform. Thought I might as well take the opportunity to replace it with Alcantara.

A while since I updated this thread.

I found that the HVAC blower fan was working at full speed and at a very slow speed when set to just under max, otherwise nothing.  I know that this was not the motor, so thought it might either be the potentiometers on the control panel or the 'Sword' (more sophisticated fan controller than the 'hedgehogs' used in newer cars).

Thought I might as well check both.  Took the control panel out and that all looked good.  While I was there, found that the metal DIN cage was preventing the BMW Professional radio from mounting correctly.  The radio has two tabs that operate on a slightly angled screw which tightens directly to plastic frame.  So out came the metal cage that had been previously fitted with the nasty Sony head unit that was in the car when I bought it.  The radio now sits more firmly and slightly deeper into the dash than previously.

IMG_3704.thumb.jpg.319d8d89da25e78137ecd125670a80f3.jpg

That left the most likely culprit as the sword that was not working properly,  so I replaced it with a new one and will at some point attempt repair of the old one with newer, higher power, MOSFETS.   The fan is now working correctly with a full speed range.

As getting at the sword is a bit of a pain (remove trim over pedals on drivers side, unplug HVAC controller, remove glove box, remove trim to the side, remove footwell vent pipe, unplug other side of HVAC controller and remove, unplug and remove sword). While in there I did the microfilter too, just one extra cover to remove, and cleaned out various crap that had accumulated between it and the microfilter, quite possibly the cause of the sword failing due to lack of air flow and consequential over heating.

IMG_3725.thumb.jpg.172b8a5ae9f86f4210d81cc4ff09e9ee.jpg

and replaced the microfilter which had seen better days, new and old.

IMG_3729.thumb.jpg.fb7c2e548a205a9307b58630370fa838.jpg

The old one must have been fitted in the UK as it's the split version for RHD cars, necessary to get round the steering column.

Of course when removing the trim I noticed that several tabs were broken from previous removal attempts, it's 30 year old plastic after all, so fitted a new piece after transferring the self adhesive sound insulation from the old one as the new piece does not come with it.  

I also noticed that the surround to the glove box light switch in the trim above the glove box was broken, so replaced that too (again transferring the sound insulation).

Replaced the central rear bumper trim too as the tabs were worn and it would not hold fully into the bumper.  Did the drivers side rear rubbing strip at the same time as that was a little scuffed.

I don't like driving older cars without having a fire extinguisher in the car, so found an OEM mounting bracket, bought a new extinguisher and fitted it.  Very easy job with just 4 bolts that go into captive nuts.

Existing holes in the drivers seat:

IMG_3831.thumb.jpg.a400699a119054defc7dc483c4edb252.jpg

Mounting plate in place

IMG_3833.thumb.jpg.a814b29a84a0c14ce9d668abd5c4f7f2.jpg

Extinguisher fitted:

IMG_3834.thumb.jpg.cea582c6c7559f4b6136aab4b34ec58d.jpg

Used her for what she was built for the other day too, needed to have the wheels for the E26 tided up, not a full refurb, just the inside of the barrel and rear faces repainted.  Being Magnesium they are a little tricky to do, so sent them to a place I've used before in Hereford. I thought it best to collect them in person rather than risk a courier for their return (amazing that 'wheels' are specifically excluded from insurance in the small print for most couriers!).  So went on a 400 mile round trip to pick them up, then loaded the tyres in the back as well to take them to my local tyre fitters.

IMG_3777.thumb.jpg.36efa8664dc71d6e4648d46bc4356694.jpg

The eagle eyed may notice that the tyres are original tread pattern Pirelli P7 Cinturato N4. These were the original fitment on the E26 and Pirelli started making them again recently in sizes for the E26, several Porsches and the Lamborghini Countach, another OCD itch scratched!