BettySwollocks

Too many thieves about !!

Hi all

Ive just took delivery of a BMW 5 2017 iperformance M Sport with keyless entry. I notice on our local Facebook page plenty of keyless cars are being thieved with the sods using a device to steal the key data. I do have a steering lock fitted and have even started to put my keys especially at night in a metal box lined with foil. However, today I want to my car with the key in the metal box and voila I could open the door !!!   so a waste of time that was.

Can anyone recommend something to store my key in whilst in the house. A mate of mine said he keeps his keys in the microwave !  another keeps his keys in the cooker oven. not sure how effective these are though ?

ive seen the wallets you can get at Halfords or on Amazon  but just wondered if there is a premium thing to do to protect the key ? 

also anyone know the range the key emits a signal to for a thief to get the data ? 

thanks Darren  

42 minutes ago, BettySwollocks said:

also anyone know the range the key emits a signal to for a thief to get the data

Ha ha! Sorry Betty, but posting the frequencies on here wouldn't be too popular I reckon! :lol:

Try one of these (basically a faraday keycase).  Its expensive (£26) but I've had mine for over  a year and there is no sign of wear on it. Quality durable  product. Once you pop the keys inside the case you cannot open the car , even with the key case next to the car

New version Radio (RFID/NFC) / Keyless Car Key Case Blocking Case Keyless Safe for Car Keys with the Keyless Go System to Protect Against Car Theft by Radio and Hacker Attacks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K9W84X8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hmm I've been playing about with this and it doesnt seem to work as well as it did

I think they all deteriorate after 6 months or so, dont know why . Possibly the case is unable to close tight

There was a post on I think a bimmer post thread recently that said BMW key fobs now disable comfort access if they haven't been moved for 5 minutes. can't find it for a minute but might be worth a seach

2 hours ago, Carrman2018 said:

How about putting it in the microwave?

Or alternatively wrapping it in tinfoil?

On Mercedes you can disable the Key by pushing the lock  button twice.

Double click usually throughout the motor industry disables the interior motion sensor (when leaving something that can move in the car) so alarm won’t trip all the time

8 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Double click usually throughout the motor industry disables the interior motion sensor (when leaving something that can move in the car) so alarm won’t trip all the time

Not on 2018 C350e.

22 minutes ago, Carrman2018 said:

Not on 2018 C350e.

Thats very strange and I’m not sure if it’s rather genious or stupid haha 

14 hours ago, Bryans69 said:

There was a post on I think a bimmer post thread recently that said BMW key fobs now disable comfort access if they haven't been moved for 5 minutes. can't find it for a minute but might be worth a seach

Comfort access has a very limited range . From my tests its quite close ;)

I dont see it as issue unless you get mugged but then then thats  different.

The problem seems to be the long range key fob signal. Why do does the key fob have to such a long range. Thats what allows the range relay devices to work so well   

Tin foil works perfectly, not great looking I admit, but it does the job. Just replace it when it tear or has a hole that can expose "leakage".

Correct on the above keys are now coming with motion sensors if no motion is found then the keys turns "off".

The way the boxes in essence work is grab the keys code, to device A and device passes it on to device B next to the car, car thinks the key is there but it is in face device B. 

If done "well" then the attack works in seconds and allows entry and starting of the vehicle.

Part of the issue with "banning" these tools is that some are modified from other "RF devices" (some videos online use digital set top boxes, routers and other devices) instead of tools made out for that purpose, now the limiting factor with these is obviously the range that they can use. Obviously there is some devices made from the ground up for legitimate purposes but they are not truly regulated in the sale of these items mostly from Eastern Europe.

Edilock, Lucky Locks and the tools and the other tools pushed are part of the problem, it is genuinely "scary" how quick and easy these tools make it (even if their makers on the "surface" have developed them for legitimate purposes they are falling into the wrong hands).

1 hour ago, Ninja59 said:

Tin foil works perfectly, not great looking I admit, but it does the job. Just replace it when it tear or has a hole that can expose "leakage".

I've read a few places that it doesn't work - though most say it does! I don't want a pouch or bag particularly, so have been debating how I make the little shelf where I keep my keys into a mini cage. Line it, then cover somehow so it looks nice (something along the lines of glue the tin foil to the wood, then line with white stickyback so looks like painted white).

But even then advice differs. Some say it has to be a complete box (ie it can't be open on one side) while others say just no line of "sight" between the key and the car (ie as long as the open end faces away from the car).

Head hurts.

Meantime, big news in local paper about a crime wave: a bike *might* have been stolen. Or possibly misplaced.

8 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

Comfort access has a very limited range . From my tests its quite close ;)

I dont see it as issue unless you get mugged but then then thats  different.

The problem seems to be the long range key fob signal. Why do does the key fob have to such a long range. Thats what allows the range relay devices to work so well   

Not in the case of my next door neighbour. Car was on the drive, key in the hall some way from the door, signal booster used. I personally know several people this has happened to, all with comfort access. That's the whole point of the booster

16 hours ago, G Whizz said:

Meantime, big news in local paper about a crime wave: a bike *might* have been stolen. Or possibly misplaced.

A couple of summers ago they deployed the police helicopter here to recover a stolen bike + person responsible. Amazing.:blink:

17 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

Correct on the above keys are now coming with motion sensors if no motion is found then the keys turns "off".

Seems bizarre that they didn't think of that in the first place simply as a battery saving mechanism. I have to admit I have a feature on my keys that sends the signal only on request, its an open button...

Hope the dealer can sort a solution that disables it for those concerned.

Edited by SuperDave

17 hours ago, G Whizz said:

But even then advice differs. Some say it has to be a complete box (ie it can't be open on one side) while others say just no line of "sight" between the key and the car (ie as long as the open end faces away from the car).

It has to be fully closed - RF signals do reflect ("bounce") off other surfaces ..............

19 hours ago, G Whizz said:

I've read a few places that it doesn't work - though most say it does! I don't want a pouch or bag particularly, so have been debating how I make the little shelf where I keep my keys into a mini cage. Line it, then cover somehow so it looks nice (something along the lines of glue the tin foil to the wood, then line with white stickyback so looks like painted white).

Head hurts.

Tried it with my 640 and I know not comfort access but it would not start for love nor money with it wrapped up properly.