Loadmaster

Remote Central Locking Intermittent / Failed

The remote central locking using the key fob has recently been a bit iffy and on the weekend it completely stopped working. So, new CR2016 batteries purchased but still no joy. Then transposed the batteries into the spare key fob, but still nothing.

So, because it's highly unlikely that both fobs have failed, what could the problem possibly be? It's obviously in the car somewhere, wherever the signal is received.

Cheers....

Edited by Loadmaster

19 minutes ago, timbolina said:

Jap spec e39's use infra red transmitters as against European ultrasonic unit s, try pointing the key at different parts of the interior, including the interior mirror

Blimey, didn't know that.

Anyhow, I've tried all that in the past few days but with no success.

I just need to know where the instruction to open and close is received in the car.

back right pillar.  rear window.  however.  you may not have noticed but i have tried this in my keyfob.  it was the keyfob in my case.  this is my repair to my problem similar to yours.  PS.  The contacts are in fact graphite.  they wear over time.  after all its on pencil compound inside.  Please upload a pic of your unit before nay repairs....  should it need any like mine did.

repair.jpg

Edited by justinluck

On 10/12/2018 at 17:07, timbolina said:

Jap spec e39's use infra red transmitters as against European ultrasonic unit s, try pointing the key at different parts of the interior, including the interior mirror

Yeah; they do. Mine needs to be pointed at the rear view mirror area for it to work best. It'll work a little distance from the car, but nowhere near as far away as I could use my previous ultrasonic keys on previous E39s...

It can't be upgraded either I don't think :roll: 

FYI Keith; my keys are the black rubber ones and they use a C2032 battery

@justinluck @d_a_n1979 Thanks for reviving this thread, I really should have provided an update.

Justin - do you mean the C pillar (aft of the rear passenger door) on the car's offside? I will try that, but see my comments to Dan below.

Dan - in recent weeks the remote locking and unlocking has started working fairly well. This may be down to the fact that I'm not far away and making the point of pressing the buttons on the fob a little more firmly, plus giving it time to react. It seems to take 2 to 3 seconds to think about it, then lock/unlock. It definitely works better pointing directly at the windscreen, not more than 3 feet away.

As you've noted, the ultrasonic system seems to be a lot more tolerant of distance away from the car.     

if you are pressing down more fimly on the keyfob.  then your graphite contacts are bad.  Open it up and have a look.  nopthing to break unless you are very uncareful.   Yes the rear right hand pillazr is where mine is located.  Upper windscreen on the right hand side.  same side as the battery.

1 hour ago, justinluck said:

Since i did this to my key.  I can now lock unlock the car from inside the house.  Before I could be inside before it worked.  now in the house about 40 feet away.

I will take a look in both of my key fobs. What did you actually do to resolve the issue inside yours? Is your photo above before or after your fix? 

yes it was.  I tried gaphite directly from the pencil shaving.  it worked but their is a problem.  Once you start pressing this graphite.  It crushes to destruction.  repeated this x3 and every time it worked.  It would never repeat press afterwards.  So to make it permenant.  I asked my wife to fix it with Copper Leaf paper.  You can clearly see this in the photo. A very thin layer of glue.  NOT SUPERGLUE.  Regular paste type glue that took about 3 hours to dry.  Laid the leaf on the glue and gently pushed it out.  Let it bond.  put it togther again and started pressing and boy wonders will never cease,  wha do you know it works and been 2 months now and stil working.

as is mine.  however, did notice a wierd combo today on testing my GM3 units.  1 unit failed sync but the other 2 synced.  unless info but check on my other post, interior lights not working.  You can also suspect a failing GM3 unit refusing to sync keys.  should not even matter but for some reason on my e39.  this car is particular to the GM3.  i dont feel this is accurate but this is what happened to me.