Sign in to follow this  
JOhnKE39530d

F10 to G30 - 530d M Sport

I changed my F10 530d MSport to G30 last week and thought I'd share initial impressions after a week of ownership in case anyone is contemplating a similar move. I drove all the G30s on track at a BMW launch event and came away thinking it wasn't that much more than an F10 but my views have changed. I'm sure my impressions will change with more time but initially

- step up in refinement, quality, tech everything - Feels better , more in every way, feels more like a 7. I remember thinking the F10 was all you'd ever want in a car but this raises the bar.

-Its bigger. feels much bigger although the dimensions are only a few inches here and there. My wife feels its huge compared to the F10 , especially inside. 

- Faster. Its noticeably quicker than the F10. Torque  has increased from 560 NM to 610NM and that coupled with being lighter is enough to notice . Only had it in sport mode a once or twice  and its quick !

-  The tech is fantastic. Mine has MSPORT Plus pack, Visibility pack and comfort pack. Folding rear seat and sunroof.  Still fine tuning it all but love the electronic display, sunroof, adaptive lights.

- Economy seems the same or marginally better - 580 miles on a tank, about 38 mpg on mostly short runs, and easy driving. Thar car has only done 9000 miles though so I'd expect that to improve with more miles.

- the 20" wheels look great as do the calipers. Braking  is fine, havn't really tested it under pressure.  Mine has PZeros -  anyone have the Goodyears and any thoughts ? What tyre pressures are you running with the 20s?

- seems to handle a bit better, less roll through the corners, but its only done 9000 miles so nice and fresh and tight anyway

- the only thing that doesn't seems to work properly is the Foot under the rear bumper opening thing. Works intermittently. Not sure where the sensors are - anyone figured out the secret technique on this ?

- Bought from BlueBell BMW in Crewe - great to deal with, miles better than Sytner ( High Wycome) who were terrible .

Overall, Love it and expect when the weather improves and I can properly see it, drive it, open the sunroof etc it will only get better.

When I bought mine the salesman waggled his foot around until the boot opened saying something like "I'm not quite sure where the sensor is".

Well, it doesn't have a dedicated sensor AFAIK but just uses the parking sensors. So all you need do is stand about an arm's length from the boot and left your foot up under the bumper and back. No hurry, no waggling, just a straight up and under and back. Works every time for me (G31 but no doubt it's the same). Virtually the only way I ever open it and handy when you're carrying stuff.

Edited by Boba

^^^ I had trouble with this on my Tiguan. After visiting the forums, it appears that you have to use a sharp kick motion rather than waggling your foot around. Worked every time for me since.  Not saying it's the same with BMW, but worth a try. 

8 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

^^^ I had trouble with this on my Tiguan. After visiting the forums, it appears that you have to use a sharp kick motion rather than waggling your foot around. Worked every time for me since.  Not saying it's the same with BMW, but worth a try. 

Don’t make the mistake I did, I told my mum to kick under the car to open the boot and she kicked the bloody rear bumper 

I believe there is a sensor under the boot on the right hand side that looks like half a melon. If you move your foot in this area side to side it should open the boot. Not had any issues with this feature. If in doubt, have a look under the car and you’ll easily see it.

On 09/12/2018 at 12:50, Boba said:

When I bought mine the salesman waggled his foot around until the boot opened saying something like "I'm not quite sure where the sensor is".

Well, it doesn't have a dedicated sensor AFAIK but just uses the parking sensors. So all you need do is stand about an arm's length from the boot and left your foot up under the bumper and back. No hurry, no waggling, just a straight up and under and back. Works every time for me (G31 but no doubt it's the same). Virtually the only way I ever open it and handy when you're carrying stuff.

Tried it, works everytime Thanks 

Edited by The Livster
Mistake

40 minutes ago, The Livster said:

Tried it, works everytime Thanks 

its easier when you are carrying a heavy shopping bag in each hand. So you have to do a one legged courtesy plus kick.

Its harder to do when your hands are free 

18 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

its easier when you are carrying a heavy shopping bag in each hand. So you have to do a one legged courtesy plus kick.

So the car knows you are being lazy if you have a hand or hands free then :twisted:

1 hour ago, Carrera77 said:

I'm not into shopping bags but it's handy when you've a heavy golf bag in one hand and a caddy car in the other.

I don't have any difficulty when my hands are free though, maybe some of Mr. Miyagi's balancing exercises would help ^_^ ?

15 minutes ago, Boba said:

I'm not into shopping bags but it's handy when you've a heavy golf bag in one hand and a caddy car in the other.

I don't have any difficulty when my hands are free though, maybe some of Mr. Miyagi's balancing exercises would help ^_^ ?

I find carrying a 12 pack in each bag lowers my centre of gravity nicely, and adds to the balancing act

16 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

I find carrying a 12 pack in each bag lowers my centre of gravity nicely, and adds to the balancing act

Ah right! Perhaps it's the fairly substantial padding around my belly and bum that keeps me stable without external aids.

On 10/12/2018 at 19:52, Andrew530dmsport said:

I believe there is a sensor under the boot on the right hand side that looks like half a melon. If you move your foot in this area side to side it should open the boot. Not had any issues with this feature. If in doubt, have a look under the car and you’ll easily see it.

Thanks for this and @Paddy O'Furniture and @Boba - the movement is indeed foot towards drivers side, in up and straight back ( quickly). works perfectly with this movement. Cheers !