Biotoxic

ZF 6hp26 oil change

On 9/25/2019 at 11:02 AM, Haych said:

To go off on a slight tangent a bit, for those of you who have done this or who intend to, how did/will you get under the car with enough clearance to do the work and keep the car level to refill?

I raised the car and kept it level but couldn't raise it high enough (I think I managed eight inches) to adequately move around to do what was necessary.  I managed to drain the sump and refill but I had hoped to change the sump/filter mechatronics sleeve and all the mechatronics seals - I still have them all in my cupboard - but failed.

I was thinking of having another go, this time raising just the front of the car high as possible to to the work necessary and then levelling it up for the oil refill.  Does this sound like a feasible method?

Also, I had the crazy idea of removing the coils and plugs from the engine and cranking the starter for a few seconds after the gearbox oil had drained - I wondered if this might be a way to pump a bit more of the old gearbox oil out of the torque convertor.  I'm not suggesting it as a good idea, I'm kind of asking if a.) it would work, and b.) it wouldn't screw anything up?

Haych,

I have been procrastinating over this since I bought my car six week & 1500 miles ago,

After a chat with GoNz0 off here I have decided to bite the bullet & get it done.

I have purchased a complete genuine ZF service kit including the bridge seal & four sleeve seals

for £247.00 delivered & my local BMW indie is doing the work next Wednesday for £144.00 all in

for labour.

Not worth groveling round underneath it on my driveway on axle stands for that money.

+ they've done loads of these so know what there doing.

3 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Haych,

I have been procrastinating over this since I bought my car six week & 1500 miles ago,

After a chat with GoNz0 off here I have decided to bite the bullet & get it done.

I have purchased a complete genuine ZF service kit including the bridge seal & four sleeve seals

for £247.00 delivered & my local BMW indie is doing the work next Wednesday for £144.00 all in

for labour.

Not worth groveling round underneath it on my driveway on axle stands for that money.

+ they've done loads of these so know what there doing.

So around £400 all in sounds good to me, I was quoted around £700 by a South London BMW / Merc inde, out of interest where are you based?

East Midlands mate, 

The BMW indie is A46 BMW just outside of Melton Mowbray, 

The kit came from auto_trans_tech  off ebay for £246.96 posted

& it's all genuine ZF stuff,  the seller that Misterbish bought from would take over ten days to get to me.

Only £20 Something cheeper, but my indie could get me in next Wednesday so I needed it a.s.a.p

Bloody hell that is cheap to drop the mechatronics out as well m8, check he has a couple of litres spare oil as the kit usually isn't enough if you drop the mech unit down. Best not to get caught short!

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

Bloody hell that is cheap to drop the mechatronics out as well m8, check he has a couple of litres spare oil as the kit usually isn't enough if you drop the mech unit down. Best not to get caught short!

I know mate,

They keep the Lifeguard 6 on the shelf. 

Wow,

That is cheap 

That should be around my price if the mechanic has got the labour time right but I suspect not. 

They charge £60 per hour + vat,

He's quoted two hours labour but the general consensus is four. 

This would make my total bill £535 which is right about what everyone else has quoted within £35 each way. 

I'll let you all know after I pick it up. 

18 hours ago, iReaper1157 said:

I had my oil, pan and filter, mech sleeves, the tube things and the square seal done for £370 from CAL in Manchester. Watched him do the whole job and was all done with genuine parts and ZF oil. An indie wanted £600. 

Who is/are CAL out of interest?

7 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Wow,

That is cheap 

That should be around my price if the mechanic has got the labour time right but I suspect not. 

They charge £60 per hour + vat,

He's quoted two hours labour but the general consensus is four. 

This would make my total bill £535 which is right about what everyone else has quoted within £35 each way. 

I'll let you all know after I pick it up. 

It's because this place do them all the time and buy everything in bulk. Like the oil hes got is a ZF drum. For the price I got I was willing to do the change every year.

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anybody know of a tried and trusted place to get my Autobox serviced in Coventry?

Had it done the first time by Auto Transmissions in Preston which tied in nicely with going to Old Trafford for the match. Unfortunately going to Old Trafford is currently not an option due to work commitments so can't get up there too often if at all. Not sure if that's a bad thing at the moment :D