Sign in to follow this  
trenchy24

Should i buy a an E34? Whats it worth?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 520i Manual Touring but having only owned an E39 i dont know much about the 34. I was hoping for a bit more knowledge.

I haven't had the chance to have a look underneath it but my mate says its very clean. It cant be worse than my current E39. It is still on the original Style 5's.

I did take it out for a quick blast the other night and it drives lovely with no obvious knocks or bangs.

Plus Points:

Manual

Leather interior, which is in pretty good nick considering the age of it.

Touring

Double Sunroof??

Bad Points:

The instrument cluster hasn't worked properly since 2008. This is the last time a mileage was recorded on the MOT. Is this a major turnoff for pretty much everyone??

Bottom corners of doors are crusty.

M50B20 (possibly single Vanos?)

Should i offer him something for it? or walk away?

895053747_WhatsAppImage2018-11-21at14_51_45.thumb.jpeg.3b4c46111959470a290829fd509f691b.jpeg

If it's not rusty then it's worth a punt I'd say. Mechanics are pretty robust and straight forward. 520i is no fire brand but a 525 swap isn't to tricky. 

If its clean and tidy then definitely  worthy of consideration. 

The only rust i've seen are the door bottoms. The arches appear to be fine, probably oweing to the fact the car isnt covered in plastic that hides everything... like my E39. There is a 520 manual cluster on ebay for £100 at the moment which would hopefully solve that issue.

the little 2.0 was quicker than i expected to be honest. But like you say there are options for improving the performance.

I just dont know what to offer him. He got it as payment for a days work, so it doesnt owe him a great deal.

Depends what he does but £500 would seem a good days work and a cheap e34. 

Even at a grand if solid and usable its it's worth a shout if you have the inclination I'd think. 

Give me a buzz and I will talk you through it

Most has been said but have a good poke around for rust. Sills, battery floor under rear seat, bottom of front wings and rear sill where sunroof drains exit. Big plus' are the Manual Box and the fact it's a Touring. Tourings are mega practical, look great and very thin on the ground now.

Even if it needs a little welding and tidying, for less than a grand it looks promising.

Nearly forgot, check the sunroof works properly as they can be a pain to fix and are often sealed up when not working.

C.

As above ....

If you can check under the carpet by slipping you're hand between the carpet and inner sill in the front footwell If the foam backing is wet.

That could be the drains in the bulkhead leaking into the cabin ( rotten behind the little plastic trim that fits to the bulkhead. 

It looks worth a punt and £500 for any e34 Touring these days is good ... If solid.   

I wolud agree with the previous comments. Definitely worth a punt. Is it an se with (working) aircon then whats not to like. Not as fast or indeed as frugal as the 525 but a manual is a bonus as nothing to go wrong in the transmission dept. A leather interior is very nice but the headlining will sag at some stage. The black roof bars will look awful but from the pic it seems to have the cross pieces. Nice and desireable.

Red does tend to suffer more with lacquer peel/fade  than other colours. The pundits say the e34 is the last BM built before the penny pinchers took over.

Go on you know it makes sense!

they're a tougher better built and more simple car to the E39.  520i wagon good long term - no SLS suspension on the back.  M50 vanos engines are mega tough 

520i might feel a bit sluggish, plus red in colour and a Touring? I would pass and look out for a better combo, i.e. at least a 525i, ideally a manual, but nowadays you have to buy these based on body condition, rather than spec...