Saftlad

530D - Buyers Regret

Let me start by saying, the 530D is a great car.  Super comfortable, with loads of power.  But has anyone bought a 530D and then thought maybe a 520D would have been almost good enough that the extra economy would have offset the performance gains?

I've come from a F11 520D where I would regularly get 53-55mpg on the commute to work, driving at sensible (ish) speeds and the occasional blast on an empty motorway.  In the G31 530D, I'm getting 40-42mpg driving at an indicated 70mph (which GPS suggests is actually 65/66mph), which drops to 36-38mpg if I push it up to 80mph.  This is at a steady speed, not accelerate/brake/accelerate/brake.  It's almost as if I'm afraid to use the performance that I've paid so much for.

So, has anyone else bought a 530 then reverted to a 520?

10 minutes ago, Saftlad said:

Let me start by saying, the 530D is a great car.  Super comfortable, with loads of power.  But has anyone bought a 530D and then thought maybe a 520D would have been almost good enough that the extra economy would have offset the performance gains?

I've come from a F11 520D where I would regularly get 53-55mpg on the commute to work, driving at sensible (ish) speeds and the occasional blast on an empty motorway.  In the G31 530D, I'm getting 40-42mpg driving at an indicated 70mph (which GPS suggests is actually 65/66mph), which drops to 36-38mpg if I push it up to 80mph.  This is at a steady speed, not accelerate/brake/accelerate/brake.  It's almost as if I'm afraid to use the performance that I've paid so much for.

So, has anyone else bought a 530 then reverted to a 520?

Interesting viewpoint. I've suffered buyers regret previously but in the other direction; once had a 320d and then realised I should have got a 330d.

I guess if economy is a priority over power, then I can see how you end up feeling how you do.

The problem is, as economy increases, power has to decrease (all other things about the car being equal). You have to choose where you want to be on the spectrum and then realise that everything is a compromise in some way.

How many miles do you annually? Have you worked out how much extra the fuel bill will be over a year in your current car? For me (8k per year) the calculations always end up being not as bad as I thought.

To be honest, it’s a very sensible view point. 

As I 520d driver, I think that you would seriously feel the power drop. For me, everyday use, the 520d is enough, but for someone like you, to have a blend of good economy and not suffer such a performance loss, the 525d is the best middle ground in my opinion.

Yeah I have a 520d and all I can say is that it’s ok (performance wise I mean).

Another thing to consider is just how smooth and quiet the 530d is - it’s a cracking blend of performance, economy and smoothness. Whilst the 520d hides its noise very very well in the G30, it’s still nowhere near as smooth as the 3.0 lump. 

I think I’ve got a different experience, I’ve previously owned the 520d Touring but went for the G31 530d RWD because for me it’s the perfect setup, with extra power. Owning both I’m not seeing much difference in regards to mpg.  Maybe 2-3mpg across the different driving conditions.  Without the longer motorway trips I average around 40mpg, and on the longer motorway/A roads, if I drive like miss daisy can easily achieve 50+mpg in the 530d.  I genuinely average around 42-45mpg each refill, not much different than the 520d but much better driving experience in he 530d all round.

I’m amazed to read you only receive 40-42mpg driving at 70mph.  In these conditions, the best I’ve ever seen, with eco mode is 56mpg.

Like someone said I've had the opposite. I had a F10530d , great car but felt I should have got the 535d and had a F15X5 20d SDrive ( great car also) but felt the 6cylinder was better.

Just sold the F10 530d and bought a lovely G30 530d. Delighted with the decision.  

I came from an F10 520d to a G31 530d Xdrive (via an F31 335d Xdrive).
I do a mix of journeys including longer trips most weeks.
The F10 would return about 45mpg across the board.  I could get over 50mpg without issue on a longer trip.
The G31 returns 40mpg across the board.  I get over 45mpg without issue on a longer trip.
As a trailer tow'r and someone who prefers a little extra performance I am more than happy.  There is an extra cost, but it (fortunately) doesn't worry me.  
Converserly, I'm sure a G31 520d would have been a fantastic car for me. But I would likely have felt a little regret at times. But very few times.
MPG is an interesting thing.  My dad will travel at 65mph on a 120 mile journey to improve mpg.  I just want to shoot him if I travel with him.  I often deal with it by driving myself....

One question perhaps is current mileage. I was disappointed with my mpg, and particularly compared to other who drive cars of similar ages. However, once I hit 11k-12k miles, there was a noticeable uptick in mpg. 8 months ago I was getting 42-44 on my Nottingham run - now I can nudge 56-58. Warmer weather helps of course but it's not just that.

So looking at when you joined, it'd be interesting to see if you see an improvement in the next say 6 months ...?

Test drive both them back to back - just couldn't get on witht the 4pot noise and power delivery. Economy not such a concern as im not a high mileage driver, so I would have had buyers regret if i plumped for the 520d.

In terms of economy, I concur, that hitting 10k miles or so greatly improves it. 

I did around 16k miles a tear at the time of purchase so a 520d was very much justified. On my normal daily commute i averaged around 47/48 MPG towards the end. On a long run I will get over the 60mpg mark rather easily if doing between 70/75 MPH in eco pro (but not on cruise control) 

My daily commute now (having gone down to around 5k miles a year) could probably justify a petrol. I still get 39mpg however so thats still very good although my route tends t be empty in the morning with no traffic and (despite traffic) its very much down hill in the afternoon. I did manage to coast virtually 75% of my way home one night when I left work at 9PM!

I'm getting a 630d GT xdrive next weekend as a loaner from BMW to test and im curious what that will do on a long run and how much of a difference it will be compared to my 520d. Maybe will do a few comparison pulls and put up footage from the dash cam. 

First of what is your priority ? If it is just fuel economy then the 520d would be a perfect choice. The 530d is a great balance between power and enonomy and will deliver high 40 mpg which is brilliant for a 3 litre turbo. 

• I have only done 7k miles since last September and I could of gone for a 540i we are compromised by our situation. Ideally a m5 could be ideal now...if the wife will let me :D

over 26,000 miles and I average around 46mpg - 48mpg average, doing a mix fo commute and long trips it was 48 but it was reset about 5,000 miles ago and I have not done many long trips so average is 46.2 - but on a long trip it can do 60mpg easily and I get over 80- miles a tank 

BUT the engine is sweet, much better than my old 3 litre A6 and it does go when needed, I had a 520D on loan when miine was in garage for a couple of days and did almost 1000 miles to and from Aberdeen and it was ok .... but it wasn't my 530 

No regrets here moving from and F10 20D to a G31 30D.

My daily commute  is mostly back roads with about 6 miles of town driving. I needed the extra ooommmpphhh of the 30D to squirt past the many 'uncertain' drivers I have the joy to follow.

MPG. Well the 20D was running at 42 average and after 2500 miles on the 30D it is 38.

Happy days

Happy with my decision to move to a G30 530d from an F10 535d. More refined, better ride, up to 20% better on fuel and at legal speeds, thanks to lighter weight and similar torque, not that noticeable performance difference. Also better on fuel than the F10 520d I had before the 535d...

Edited by Johnny Grabble

Yep, have owned both. 

Would say there's a small difference in performance as standard, ride and noise is quite a lot better as stated and makes for a more relaxing drive.

I had the f10 remapped a year ago and it went from quick to very quick. Don't feel the need as much with the g31 although a slightly faster throttle response at takeoff to match the old 530d would be nice. Economy - maybe 1-2mpg better in the G but I'd happily swap that for the f10s xenons and parking sensors that were miles better! 

Having owned more 30d’s than I can remember, I’d say 30d, simply because it’s the best Diesel engine on the planet and the envy of all other manufacturers! The difference in  mpg is nothing and one could argue better in some circumstances, plus the 20d sounds painful to my ears under load when compared to the silky smooth growl of the 30d. 

16 hours ago, Babaikram said:

This over praising of 530d G30 sometimes drives me into overdrive. I would stop here 

Well it is true, the 530d is a superb car, but like I said above, a 520d will suffice for 99% of everyday situations and is fast enough and economical enough for the majority. In all fairness, is it worth another £8k on top of a 520d? Probably not.

I think a lot of BMW drivers still have a severe complex of "if it hasn't got a 6 cylinders its not a proper BMW" which i don't really agree with and I think this is the last generation of cars with common in line 6 engines. Then again, the majority of those people that have the audacity to take the "piss" of out your new 5 series drive a P Reg 323i and/or have small willy syndrome. 

Credit where credit is due, the 30d really is that good. The on paper stats when compared again the 20d don’t really show the real world truth to be fair, especially economy as you simply don’t have to drive the 30d hard at all, it does it so effortlessly, without any song and dance. Silky smooth straight 6, and sounds incredible when you give it full taps! IMHO worth every penny. Do you need any more performance than a 20d, probably not, but you could also counter that with a 1.8d would also probably work just as well. What makes the 30d the cream of the crop is down to its engineering and its ability to do all things exceedingly well, cruising, blasting from the lights, flat out continent crunching, it genuinely is one of the best power plants on the market in every aspect, and suits the G30 perfectly, just a pity they don’t have plans for a 540d or even a 550d! This is the engine  I fell in love with in my E46 330d manual, many years ago! And what has kept me keep coming back for more for so many years! Damn I loved that car! Orient blue metallic with light beige leather fully specd, rapid car even by today’s standard. I must admit to shedding a tear when I sold it and heard it purr down the road. Only saving grace was I dropped a 335d in its place not long after, but that’s another story.;-)