Jump to content
Rob S

LKM questions-The truth is out there....

Recommended Posts

I've just ordered some capacitors and I'm going to try this first when they arrive:

 

https://forum.e34.de/thread.php?threadid=107819

 

Fortunately, I speak German and the cost of 10 capacitors is only £2 (only actually need 4 so 80p really). I looked on realoem and the motors are listed at over $100 each and from reading around I don't think the problem is the whole motor per se but rather the signal they send to the LKM.

I'll feedback the results once the capacitors are in.

 

Many thanks again!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iirc I also found unplugging the cd changer gave lots of random obc warnings. I must admit on my ix I just unplugged the adjusters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But wouldn't suit your attention to detail - for the ix i had it was a cheap fix, if it was a keeper or something more special i'd be trying to fix it like you! Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derin, as I read the circuit diagram on that link, you are putting a capacitor in on each of the two feeds, presumably outside the motor casing somewhere?  Correct?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Dongiov, that's the way I read it too.

 

The capacitors just arrived this morning. Not being any kind of electrical expert myself, what's the best way to connect them to the wires do you think? Cut a little of the insulation on the wires away and then solder the ends of the capacitor wires to wires of the motor feed wires?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you use self amalgamating tape first from at least an inch either side and then cover the tape and about a cm either side with cloth tape (such as tessa) then that should seal it from dirt and moisture whilst standing the test of time. It's easy to apply and easily available.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm experiencing symptoms, which would indicate a CCM failure, rather than a LKM, but correct me, if I'm wrong?

 

If a bulb is genuinely out, then I will get a warning message upon turning the key to "ON" position (without starting the car) and after replacing the said bulb, the warning will go away. Also if all the bulbs are ok, no warnings appear upon starting starting the car or during daytime driving.

 

However, as soon as I put the lights on, then I start getting random warning messages about my brake lights being out, side lights, number plate lights, the whole lot - while of course everything works perfectly fine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Blackman said:

I'm experiencing symptoms, which would indicate a CCM failure, rather than a LKM, but correct me, if I'm wrong?

 

If a bulb is genuinely out, then I will get a warning message upon turning the key to "ON" position (without starting the car) and after replacing the said bulb, the warning will go away. Also if all the bulbs are ok, no warnings appear upon starting starting the car or during daytime driving.

 

However, as soon as I put the lights on, then I start getting random warning messages about my brake lights being out, side lights, number plate lights, the whole lot - while of course everything works perfectly fine.

 

 

 

Are you sure its got nothing to do with headlight adjusters? Seems to be quite a common problem...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/10/2019 at 16:11, boiliebasher said:

 

Are you sure its got nothing to do with headlight adjusters? Seems to be quite a common problem...

 

I've read somewhere that if you disconnect them, then the problem goes away, but surely that's not "the right way" of doing things? Or is there any other option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blackman said:

 

I've read somewhere that if you disconnect them, then the problem goes away, but surely that's not "the right way" of doing things? Or is there any other option?

 

I would remove the adjusters wiring plug from the lamps if the adjusters are faulty ... as base models had no adjusters anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×