billythefish76

F10 Bumper Repair - Advice Needed

Evening all.  Earlier today somebody drove into the back of my 2014 carbon black 530d at a roundabout.  The damage isn't too bad but looks like it'll need a new bumper as paint had cracked and you can feel the ridge where the bumper was pushed in. 

My question is, any idea on how much this repair is likely to cost only I may ask the woman who went into me whether she'd prefer to pay cash rather than go through insurance?

Cheers

55 minutes ago, billythefish76 said:

Evening all.  Earlier today somebody drove into the back of my 2014 carbon black 530d at a roundabout.  The damage isn't too bad but looks like it'll need a new bumper as paint had cracked and you can feel the ridge where the bumper was pushed in. 

My question is, any idea on how much this repair is likely to cost only I may ask the woman who went into me whether she'd prefer to pay cash rather than go through insurance?

Cheers

Last time I enquired it was £350 +vat. You can repair cracked bumpers, should have seen my front bumper when a 2.5 tonne Cayenne rolled back into it :rolleyes:. The impact of my recent collision bent both exhaust hanger brackets and the hanger which resulted in thumping / knocking sound on uneven / rough road surface.  You need to get it on a ramp for further investigation.

I hope you are o.k.

Tell your insurance company, just in case. If there is structural damage the cost will go up.

You would want it inspected by a professional.

This was mine after a twat in a Pug wasn't paying attention.

Damage.jpg

New bumper, lower skirt, new internal plastic panels behind the bumper, parking sensors, new lower trim panel, new towbar in my case but you will have a metal bumper carrier which you want checked out for integrity. That is what your bumper may have creased over, you can see the horizontal crease in mine where the bumper deformed around my towbar.

But it sounds like you haven't had as much of a thump that mine had, I had front seat headrest restraints fire off and needed replacing too.

Edited by 535i Andrew
sodding auto correct.

I got quoted 200+VAT for a rear bumper off plus a little reshaping and full respray of the panel.  That's by a very reputable local garage. Haven't had it done yet though. Also the damage was fairly superficial and I checked behind and no metal work impacted. 

For a non fault accident I'd be looking at a full bodyshop repair, chances are there damage behind it, I wouldn't accept a smart repair.

The Mrs had a repair to a Kia Cee'd estate 4 years ago that was just shy of 1k by the time they'd finished.

28 minutes ago, billythefish76 said:

This is pic of damage, very minor tbf

Point Blur_Oct242018_221348.jpg

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

I got quoted 200+VAT for a rear bumper off plus a little reshaping and full respray of the panel.  That's by a very reputable local garage. Haven't had it done yet though. Also the damage was fairly superficial and I checked behind and no metal work impacted. 

£350 +vat - BMW Approved Bodyshop. The above price is about right from an Independent. Mine was worse, top left lip was crushed but happy with the final result. Black is easy to colour match.

8 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

For a non fault accident I'd be looking at a full bodyshop repair

^This.

And don't let your or their insurance company or a third party claims handling company fob you off with going to their choice of bodyshop. You have the right to take it to your choice of bodyshop.

It's a non fault claim so there is no argument.

Thanks again everyone.  Tbh the reason I thought about doing it cash is because, despite it not being our fault, you still have to declare the accident which means they can bump up the premium in future, regardless of whether you were at fault or not, isn't that right?

I managed to crash into my wife's car damaging mine and hers. Hers was worse, needed new wing, new front bumper, new headlight, etc. That was on a joint policy with protected NCB. Only went up 70 quid come renewal. 

Didn't get mine fixed through insurance as my excess is £600 (don't ask - didn't read small print).

3 hours ago, billythefish76 said:

Tbh the reason I thought about doing it cash is because, despite it not being our fault, you still have to declare the accident which means they can bump up the premium in future, regardless of whether you were at fault or not, isn't that right?

Don't take cash.

The first thing I said (after checking they were o.k.) to the twat that drove into the back of me was that this was going via insurance. I didn't want to here, "it's just a bumper mate, take £xxx" as it was all the bits underneath and the restraint system on mine were damaged too and needing a car whilst it gets repaired.

One option in your case is if the other drivers insurance contact you to say, their client admits fault and they will sort out the damage to your car, take them up on it. That way it's not on your policy and you don't need to 'claim' your company.

I had already set the ball rolling with getting mine fixed when the twats insurance company contacted me to offer to repair and provide a like for like car replacement. I wasn't to know he would admit fault so quickly......ah hindsight isn't it a wonderful thing.

As others have said -,proper body shop quote first stop.

Whether or not it's cash or the other insurance company you will STILL need to declare it to your own insurers. If they find out somehow it may invalidate your insurance if not, and you may end up on the insurers' rogues register.

Sadly  it MAY actually affect future premiums (how could you tell?) as the insurers' algorithms take into account all recent history whether or not to blame. (How do I know? - after 2 non-fault rear-enders in a year my premium took a jump with Esure but other insurers were more competitive!).

2 hours ago, jake13 said:

No he doesn't, as long as no one was injured.

You're quite wrong, sorry. What you're quoting are the rules for reporting an incident to the police.

Unless your insurance policy is very atypical you'll find that they require all incidents to be reported regardless of blame or claim. Same with a new insurance proposal or a renewal.

If you don't report it but the other party does (as they should) it's quite likely that your own insurers will find out anyway. Don't know how Data Protection works with this kind of thing.

Edited by Boba