Carl-e34

The " Golden Nugget " BMW E34 540i/6T BH15021

On 25/12/2018 at 11:01, pidgeonpost said:

SI've only just picked up on this thread. I'm full of admiration for folks like you who rescue these rarer models from oblivion. I'd be bricking it to be faced with corrosion at this level, though clearly you've faced worse and you have no fear! Have just bookmarked the TBL video to watch later as Christmas viewing. Will make a change from 'The Great escape', 'Sound of Music', 'Morecombe and Wise' etc.  ;)

Hope you had a great Christmas, The Tea Bag Lady was our greatest feat and even now behind the scenes there is still working being carried out on her. The Nugget needed to be saved and we were lucky enough to able to undertake what needs doing to see her on the road for years to come. 

Update

6/2/2019

32042640717_e8cfb83e79_k.jpg

-  

Belated Happy New Year fellow 5 Forum members,  First update sees the Nugget getting fresh Shell Helix HX7 oil and

a genuine BMW chain tensioner well for the mechanical side of things anyway :D

-

46284463424_6ea82f565e_k.jpg

- 

The chain tensioner was well past its expiry date, Its spring had definitely sprung! The nugget seems to be much happier

with fresh oil and filter and the tensioner has quietened the engine down that you wouldn't guess she's done the miles she has.

-

46094718665_dd8167842b_k.jpg

- 

I remember someone singing the praise of the wings from Euro Car Part so ordered one on a special weekend deal

for a little sum of £36 Great British Pounds haven't test fitted it yet but should be rust proofed and test fitted by next month.

The cream of the crop was our new arch " DOG LEG " panel ordered from BMW Sytner Oldbury... Again

no photos this update but I'm hoping by next month we will have all the parts needed for the one side.

at this point, we are only missing the outer sill skin which will be purchased from Euro Car Parts as we were happy

with their outer sill panel when we purchased one for  The Tea Bag Lady

- 

Comments Welcome 

Edited by Carl-e34

Just out of curiosity, you said that the engine has now quietened down with the new tensioner, was it "rattly" to begin with?!

The wing from ecp I think is a bargain. It's cheap and it's brand new. A good clean original one is like hens teeth. 

Sure it's not a genuine panel and it may not be "perfect" but paying through the nose for a genuine one or worse still, a second hand one which are all now 23+ years old just seems like false economy to me ;)

3 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

Just out of curiosity, you said that the engine has now quietened down with the new tensioner, was it "rattly" to begin with?!

The wing from ecp I think is a bargain. It's cheap and it's brand new. A good clean original one is like hens teeth. 

Sure it's not a genuine panel and it may not be "perfect" but paying through the nose for a genuine one or worse still, a second hand one which are all now 23+ years old just seems like false economy to me ;)

Hi Marc 

It did have a slight rattle from cold But after a good hot sprint or motorway journey the rattle would vanish So was happy with the knowledge that the 

tensioner was the issue with the GN.

The price of genuine wings has risen by some like £80 since 2013 Which is a big jump. The price of the repair panels ie sill sections has risen by £30.

Which fits into the BMW habit of double taxing items the average Joe can fit @ home.

It is a false economy using the average second-hand wing  unless the e34 has been in dry storage  :)

21 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

good stuff, noted about the euro wings.

I'd need a wing with no side repeater for my left hooker 

I think I have a genuine wing with no side repeater in store.  It came from Cyprus.

PM me for more details :-)

Update

13/5/2019

So with the GN on work duties during the past few months ...The time has flew past 

But the time has been spent collecting the odd panel etc for the bodywork repairs.

33942255918_fb07661fb7_o.jpg

47030015834_e5ddc9a17d_o.jpg

33942256118_9231415ffe_o.jpg

The plan in the coming month is to drop the fuel tank and rear sub-frame which will allow

the welding work to start without having to work around the rear suspension.

We were going to start at the front  being as the front support panel needs  replacing . It's damaged 

and also the  panel is rotten  but with the front stripped  down ....

I would have wanted to renew the air conditioning etc  .... So  will leave the front until last.

Comments Welcome 

Edited by Carl-e34

Sometimes you just gotta prioritise on the "to do" list and systematically go through what needs doing first.

When you have the tank down, I'd renew the fuel breather lines as mine were rotten out, oddly enough as other fuel and brake lines were absolutely fine. 

Wouldn't bother with OEM steel either, go for either copper or cupronickel as far easier to work with ;)

On 04/11/2019 at 22:38, greenelekta said:

What's happening Carl, any updates?

Hi Dave 

It's been a little annoying really  ... We were waiting for the welder to confirm  the date of the welding for the Nugget .

It went from May to September and then the welder asked for more pictures to remind him of the job.

Which at this point the job jumped from £1400 to 2000K  and 5 months time lost.

The original welder that complete TBL has sadly finished working so was putting our trust in a new lad So the hunt is on for another

welder or might just wait until the weather gets better and have a go with our mig.   

I have been purchasing new suspension and body panels So once started the transformation should be pleasing    :)

We have also found a couple of E38's 728's to keep us going :ph34r: One's the winter hack and the others going for sale soon ( Enjoyed France so rot free)

I enjoy the pictures you post of the M5 interior  ...  Hope the fleet is fine :wub:

That must have been disappointing Carl. Sounds like you have plenty more projects to keep you busy till you find the welder you trust.

Will be worth it in the end!

On 06/11/2019 at 20:04, greenelekta said:

That must have been disappointing Carl. Sounds like you have plenty more projects to keep you busy till you find the welder you trust.

Will be worth it in the end!

It really is Dave ... But will get there in the end :-) Ps, Might be having another 7 coming our way  This time a late E32 750 with Sports interior. its been standing a while :ph34r:

On 07/11/2019 at 04:47, boiliebasher said:

How's E38 ownership then Carl?!

Never personally owned one myself, but can imagine they're quite a wafty luxobarge ;)

Hi Marc,

It's a nice old thing really, with working AC and some nice 17 inch staggered wheels ... It's been loved so the relationship at the moment is :wub::lol:

8 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

It really is Dave ... But will get there in the end :-) Ps, Might be having another 7 coming our way  This time a late E32 750 with Sports interior. its been standing a while :ph34r:

For gods sake don't say anything more about a 750 E32.

Don't post pictures. 

Don't describe it.

Don't hint at it.

Don't tell us if you get it.

Don't ever mention it again.

/envy