Jump to content
d_a_n1979

Winter tyres - it's that time of year!

Recommended Posts

I  have Cooper WM-SA2+ on my E61 Tourer for last winter up north and was impressed, probably more so since it was my first rear wheel drive and I'm not a scaredy..this Wet/Winter I have them again but not until the proper wet begins not unlike some...…... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I do like the look of the Dunlop winter tyres... 

 

They do get a good write up but the Nokians are better again. Can't quite decide on the Mickey Cross climates, despite being a 3 peak snow flake with M+S tread how can it be as good in winter as it is in summer? It must be a compromise..........surely........

 

I might be making a mistake swapping 17" style 327 shod in Dunlop 3Ds. Style 327 are dead easy to clean. For 18" style 237 shod in Conti winter contacts, which whilst OEM spec are not up there with the best performing winter tyres and the style 237 will be far harder to keep clean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

They do get a good write up but the Nokians are better again. Can't quite decide on the Mickey Cross climates, despite being a 3 peak snow flake with M+S tread how can it be as good in winter as it is in summer? It must be a compromise..........surely........

 

I might be making a mistake swapping 17" style 327 shod in Dunlop 3Ds. Style 327 are dead easy to clean. For 18" style 237 shod in Conti winter contacts, which whilst OEM spec are not up there with the best performing winter tyres and the style 237 will be far harder to keep clean. 

 

They both get good reviews across the board; so for me, I'd be happy with either. More so with the limited mileage I'll do on them; what I don't want to do is spend over the top, if that makes sense

 

I'll be ordering the tyres in the next few weeks; so will keep this thread updated

 

The Petlas Snowmasters still haven't been ruled out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

Why?

 

Whats the availability of winter rubber like in E65 sizes?

 

‘Because they get good reviews across a number of forums and review sites ;)

 

Sizes are more or less standard; but I’ve got a set of Style 93s that I’ve just refurbed & they take 245/50/18s which are readily available too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 535i Andrew said:

Bolloxs, I read that has having been ruled out! Sorry.

 

Less whisky and a visit to Specsavers. 

 

More whisky and sod specsavers! ;) :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Pirelli Sottozero on the BMs and have had no complaint. I read once that the Canadian police use them and that was good enough for me. On the campervan (Mazda Bongo), I used Semperit winters and was happy enough with them too, although they haven't seen much snow time. Didn't get them on last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cableguy said:

Steer clear of Bridgestone Blizzaks. I ran them a couple of winters ago and was not impressed.

 

C.

 

My mum had them on her F30 xdrive. They were terrific, we were overtaking a spun out Golf with the 4x4 and winter tyre combo. That wee car with its winter boots on could climb snowy hills no problem. Loads of confidence in the snow in that car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had pirelli sottozeros in the past, worked extremely well, especially when the beast from the east visited, finally worn down and have picked up a set of Dunlop winter sports at a steal, now just to decide when they need to be mounted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put mine on in October 2 years ago but that was because it was going in for a service and I didn't want any issues over tread depth of the summers.  But I think that's too early. 

 

Last year I put them on in November, probably after the first frost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I put mine on in October 2 years ago but that was because it was going in for a service and I didn't want any issues over tread depth of the summers.  But I think that's too early. 

 

Last year I put them on in November, probably after the first frost.

 

Mine went on mid to late October last year IIRC

 

They'll be on towards end of Oct, early November as that's about the only time I'll have to get them fitted :roll: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2018 at 1:54 PM, 535i Andrew said:

 

My mum had them on her F30 xdrive. They were terrific, we were overtaking a spun out Golf with the 4x4 and winter tyre combo. That wee car with its winter boots on could climb snowy hills no problem. Loads of confidence in the snow in that car.

Good to hear, just got a set for my 330d X drive.:) And just bought a set of these for the M4 :mrgreen:

 

 

A3487DF9-9A58-46A7-B4D9-A8382EAC0A07.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Michelin Alpin winter tyres always seem to be superb @roofer so don't think you'll go far wrong with them ;) 

 

I'll hopefully get mine sorted for the 7 later this week/over the weekend when I know my diary better for next week/week after, to make sure I'm in for their delivery

 

Probably going to go with the Dunlop 4D winters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

The Michelin Alpin winter tyres always seem to be superb @roofer so don't think you'll go far wrong with them ;) 

 

I'll hopefully get mine sorted for the 7 later this week/over the weekend when I know my diary better for next week/week after, to make sure I'm in for their delivery

 

Probably going to go with the Dunlop 4D winters

She’ll bin the M4 in the cold, it can bite. I’ll give her mine if it snows, and see how much fun the M4 is on the Alpins. 8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't discount some of the budget brands. Years ago when I lived up t'hill in Yorkshire I popped a pair of Nankang winters just on the rear axle of my E39 - they were excellent on fresh snow, compacted snow and even re-frozen and hardened ice. The following year I bought another pair for the other axle and never got stuck once, with the car being so good in the blizzard conditions that loads of people asked if the 'ALPINA' badge meant it was 4wd.

 

edit to add; I've moved to sunny Surrey and there really is no need for winters down here - I still have the tyres on a set of M-Paras in case of snowmaggedon but I doubt it will happen - winter tyres down south is like an ashtray on a bike.

Edited by sharkfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a set languishing in the back of the garage. Since having them the weather has never necessitated their fitment. 

 

Might do so this year just to save some wear on the summers!

 

but still warm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, 535i Andrew said:

 

My mum had them on her F30 xdrive. They were terrific, we were overtaking a spun out Golf with the 4x4 and winter tyre combo. That wee car with its winter boots on could climb snowy hills no problem. Loads of confidence in the snow in that car.

 

I think the fact that you mention "xdrive" may have been a contributing factor!

 

I ran them on a Golf and found them ok in ice and sleet, however they were terrible on dry roads in colder temps.

 

C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cableguy said:

 

I think the fact that you mention "xdrive" may have been a contributing factor!

 

I ran them on a Golf and found them ok in ice and sleet, however they were terrible on dry roads in colder temps.

 

C.

 

To add a little perspective, on snow and ice, my E39 on winters had better traction and braking than our Impreza WRX on summer tyres. A 4wd/4x4 on winters would of course be top drawer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think also people need to bear in mind it is the style of driving as well as the tyres.

 

If there was a need to get somewhere then most tyres will get you thee, but where most people have difficulties is the ice, for which wide BMW tyres unless ridiculously soft aren't suitable, at that point you need studs (which we can't use in the UK). So really it is down to personal preference and your budget on that front, biggest thing is stopping and turning and the grip circles you have when doing so and you'd be surprised how the budget makes can match the big ones on that side of things.

 

For example when the 2nd load of snow came earlier in the year (mid March, we only had about a week snow free here!) I drove home from above Machynlleth to Brecon in a fair few inches of snow and quite icy/slippy conditions (had rained just before the snow and froze!), OK I didn't take the mountain passes but the roads weren't in great condition, one was closed after I went through and all I saw was 4x4's and the local bus, it never stops! All I had on both axles was half worn set of budget summer tyres, finally they were defeated by my drive which is a 1 in 4 and had to stop at the bottom so hill-starting wasn't great, but a little work with a shovel and a little unkindness to the car it even made it up that!

 

Having said that I think I am going to go winters this year, although not going to be spending big bucks for them just for a little extra snow driving come early next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×