Boba

What Can I Do With 'Connected Drive'?

So I've got the Connected Drive app on my iPhone and it seems to work OK - at least I can see the fuel level ;) but I haven't bought any of the services because it's difficult to understand what any of them do from the write ups on the ConnectedDrive 'Store' page.

The only ones I think I might be interested in are the 'BMW Connected +' and the 'Remote Services'. Has anyone bought either of these and can give a fuller description of what they can do?

47 minutes ago, G Whizz said:

Is that on an Android? Not only do I not get the majority of those, my screen doesn't even look like that?!

Nope, thats on an iPhone. You wont get those unless you have purchased Remote Services from Connected Drive

Just now, sjak92 said:

Nope, thats on an iPhone. You wont get those unless you have purchased Remote Services from Connected Drive

Which I have (the portal doesn't seem to be working currently to show you what I have). But my screen looks like this:

bmw c.jpg

I don't think you do. Its an option that you tick when order or purchase for £60 afterwards.

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk/app/index.html#/portal/store/Base_RemoteOffer

What you have there is exactly what my app displayed the day I got the car, before I purchased Remote Services

The connected drive/remote services "locate vehicle" feature allowed me to locate exactly where the thieves had hidden my car after it was stolen, and get it back. Without that, it would not have been found.

For obvious reasons, I find it impossible to resist recommending it at every chance I get.

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

I don't think you do. Its an option that you tick when order or purchase for £60 afterwards.

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk/app/index.html#/portal/store/Base_RemoteOffer

What you have there is exactly what my app displayed the day I got the car, before I purchased Remote Services

I was fairly sure I did but you may well be right - can't honestly remember, and can't log in to check.

Anyone else not able to get on the portal? (It remember my login but then just hangs on a spinning blue circle)

No problem for me during the last hour or 2.

something that I've noticed is that the portal sometimes doesn't work on Internet Explorer but works fine if I open Chrome. Just the usual incompatibilities I guess.

31 minutes ago, Boba said:

No problem for me during the last hour or 2.

something that I've noticed is that the portal sometimes doesn't work on Internet Explorer but works fine if I open Chrome. Just the usual incompatibilities I guess.

No that's just internet explorer. Its inherently shit

6 hours ago, mobilejo said:

The connected drive/remote services "locate vehicle" feature allowed me to locate exactly where the thieves had hidden my car after it was stolen, and get it back. Without that, it would not have been found.

For obvious reasons, I find it impossible to resist recommending it at every chance I get.

So I coughed up for Remote Services after the recommendations  :-) . Some head scratching when the vehicle tracking failed saying that the GPS tracking needed to be enabled in the car but the setting was no where to be found in iDrive :?: . Fiddled about for an hour or so and then lo and behold the required entry suddenly appeared and everything worked. Seems as though the setting to enable vehicle tracking in iDrive was hidden until BMW noticed that I'd bought the app and enabled it. Could do with mentioning that in the manual to save puzzling over it!

Off on holiday soon so I'll be able to see that my car's still safely in the car park. 

It it occurs to me that all a semi-intelligent thief needs to do is to turn the tracking off in iDrive and the app wouldn't help find it - sounds like something that should be protected in some way!

Edited by Boba

9 hours ago, Liam2594 said:

So remote service aren’t standard on the G30? I find that odd as they were with the F10 with professional media. 

No they weren't. Always been an option and only for the first 3 years, now its a one off forever 

21 hours ago, sjak92 said:

No they weren't. Always been an option and only for the first 3 years, now its a one off forever 

My remote services seem to be all there on the F10 and I didn’t pay a penny for them? 

On 9/18/2018 at 6:15 PM, Boba said:

It it occurs to me that all a semi-intelligent thief needs to do is to turn the tracking off in iDrive and the app wouldn't help find it - sounds like something that should be protected in some way!

This ....

i thought exactly the same, far to easy to disable, this definitely need to be addressed and sorted by BMW

52 minutes ago, TK421 said:

This ....

i thought exactly the same, far to easy to disable, this definitely need to be addressed and sorted by BMW

yes unbelievably easy.... I'm sure dealers do it all the time 

So does the remote services on your iPhone replicate what you would get on the Display Key?

Richard

1 hour ago, RichD1 said:

So does the remote services on your iPhone replicate what you would get on the Display Key?

Richard

Pretty much, except remote parking. I expect this will be a slinky at some point in the future.

hence, display key is a bit pointless 

On 9/18/2018 at 6:15 PM, Boba said:

I clearly had some very daft thieves then. They took half the boot trim out looking for a tracker, gave up and then left the car to see if it got tracked :D The idiots could have just pressed a few buttons on idrive!

1 hour ago, mobilejo said:

I clearly had some very daft thieves then. They took half the boot trim out looking for a tracker, gave up and then left the car to see if it got tracked :D The idiots could have just pressed a few buttons on idrive!

The best kind of thieves!;)