Dakota

N47 v B47 engine refinement thoughts?

Just curious to know from those that have experience of both engines what your thoughts are specifically on refinement and noise.

I find my N47 quite vocal and vibey at idle and under acceleration (though whisper quiet at cruise), did the B47 improve on this or is it much the same?

I have been in both and think the B47 is better especially at lower speeds when you are more likely to notice the typical diesel noise. I do notice that the diesel noise is sometimes slightly noisier than usual and like others I put this down to my imagination or the dpf is in recharge mode?

Driving a 2017 218D Gran Tourer with the B47 engine for a few days while my car is worked on.

Bit shocked to find how smooth the engine is compared to the N47, much quieter start stop and smoother idle.  Could almost pass for a petrol at lower speeds, something you could not say of my car.  Since when is a 2 series more refined than a 5 series for Christ sake!

My brother has N47 and i have driven it every other weekend last month as my E39 died.

My new 520D B47 is much smoother and quieter.

Especially in the cabin almost sounds like a 6 pot.

I find the the lower end is much better does not feel as jerky if that makes sense.

so majority of it could be better sound insulation i guess more than physical changes to the engine 

I opted for B47 as no reported issues with the timing chain only to find out last few days that they have an issue with the EGR cooler. 

Also my wife thought it was a petrol she did not want a diesel, heard my brothers especially on startup in the morning the rattly engine was not the same as e39 530i lol

Just a quick follow up on this. Today I borrowed my brother-in-law's 2015 B47 and it was an interesting comparison. 

I would say the B47 is fractionally quieter and smoother but there really is very little in it, in fact I found his more rattley when cold but things settle down once the engine was warm. I also thought the n47 made a better sound under hard acceleration, with a nice  muffled bellow. The last B47 I drove was in a 2 series and if anything that seems quieter than the F10, which is nuts.

His is the SE, mine is the Luxury so was also curious to see did the 17 inch wheels improve the ride and comfort over my 18's. Once again there is hardly anything in it, you could feel a little extra compliance in the taller side wall but  surprisingly they were actually more noisy on the road than mine.

Anyway, while I had his car to fix the yellow grommet I gave it a full valet. Those default 17 in alloys are nightmare to clean with that stupid groove on the inside of the rim!  Tonnes of tar removed then polished with autoglym EGP. The smaller screen also did my head in after enjoying the wide screen, it really is a poor second best. To anyone who says it's acceptable, you're wrong! :D

Then when I was finished with his car I did mine. I'm banjoed!

On 22/12/2018 at 16:35, Dakota said:

Anyway, while I had his car to fix the yellow grommet I gave it a full valet. Those default 17 in alloys are nightmare to clean with that stupid groove on the inside of the rim!  Tonnes of tar removed then polished with autoglym EGP. The smaller screen also did my head in after enjoying the wide screen, it really is a poor second best. To anyone who says it's acceptable, you're wrong! :D

Then when I was finished with his car I did mine. I'm banjoed!

I believe photographs are obligatory when detailed car cleaning occurs :D

I have just moved into a 520 f11 after 7.5 years in two Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI's.  The 520 has more power than the Honda but is more gruff and has a large amount of vibration from cold at idle, so much so that you can see the manual gear selector moving in neutral.  Sad that it sounds like the B engines are not any more refined.

Honda took an age to bring out its first diesel engine, because it wanted to get perfection. Subsequently, they were super quiet and refined, but, low on BHP.

What year is your F11?

Edited by nashdm2