·         Sunroof

·         Electric boot

·         Heated rear seats

·         4 zone climate

·         Electric folding mirrors

Bit of a strange spec.

Pros so far:

·         Very quiet with a great ride even RFT

·         Seats are very comfy with lots of adjustability. Like sitting in an armchair.

·         Start stop works better than the Merc.

·         Never had a sunroof before but makes it feel airy.

·         Lots of space in the back and room for luggage.

Need to work on:

·         Economy is about 50mpg or 53mpg if I’m careful. E Class gave me closer to 60mpg. I’ve tried putting RedEx in to ‘clean it out’ but I’m not hopeful.

·         I don’t have the coasting function which is a big loss for me. I’m going to ask BMW if it can be enabled or I need an iDrive update.

·         No idea how the park assist works yet!

·         Miss my digital dash from the Merc slightly and not being able to see digital mph.

IMG_20180901_164705.thumb.jpg.409e8603e510185478f00d45d69c1bb7.jpg

IMG_20180901_164724.thumb.jpg.806ea642af9e1bcd011683e4a9148bfe.jpgIMG_20180901_164729.thumb.jpg.228154bba79085729a0a732205b55105.jpgIMG_20180901_164736.thumb.jpg.8d8f1b03e91677cf651ac9d5fd981071.jpgIMG_20180901_164740.thumb.jpg.25ba82f7f58519325905bf209d8448aa.jpg

Welcome Alan, very nice well specced car.  What year is it and what did it cost if you don't mind me asking, I'm guessing one of the last F10 run out models?  

Don't let that enthusiasm wane when you hear about door corrosion or yellow grommets!

Not sure what you mean by 'coasting function'?  Lack of digital speed readout is a bummer alright.

Hey hey.

64 plate. It's the 65mpg/114 CO2. 

I read the pinned thread in here. One reason why forums like this are useful ^_^ I'll be prepared. 

ECO Pro is supposed to have a 'Coasting' function according to my manual and the interwebs. Mine seems to be missing. 

Welcome along! It has to be said that is one very highly specced F10, must be an absolute pleasure to drive.

The forum is a great place for answering any queries, lots of helpful chaps on hand.

Hope the car serves you well for many miles to come.

18 minutes ago, Alan520d said:

ECO Pro is supposed to have a 'Coasting' function according to my manual and the interwebs. Mine seems to be missing. 

Ah don’t worry about it then. Odds are you will spend very little time in ECO Pro, makes the car feel like it has a 1.4 under the bonnet!

The coasting feature is done in the automatic gearbox. When it's in the higher gears and you lift off the autobox does it's own thing and allows the car to coast.

ECOslow mode is not terribly popular as it makes the car feel sluggish by changing the throttle response to a give a much more lethargic feel.

1 hour ago, nashdm2 said:

Coasting was introduced in 2015 for the 520d. What month was yours built?

I have the coasting on my March 2014 F11 Auto

Mine has the Eco mode activated as default (coded as such); the lethargy doesn't bother me as when you slam your foot to the floor it gets the message pretty quickly. I've had mine remapped though, so it's not lacking in horses. If I want to change to Comfort/+ or Sport/+ it's a conscious decision to do so. Eco mode does me the vast majority of the time.

Digital speedometer can be coded in easily; I have it, but never use it. It's a bit small, and the traditional speedometer is legible & accurate enough.

Edited by BFleming

Alan, if you have a Sept 2014 build then you have a B47 engine. Talking about your disappointment with Fuel consumption then you will be among a number of us on here with exactly the same thoughts. There is a large thread on here talking about exactly that. I will see if I can find it.

I have the digital speedo coded and code it as a standard for all who bring their cars for other things to be coded. It comes into its own when travelling in Europe and you switch to Km/h as it is easier to see the actual speed there rather than the analogue speedo where the Km/h increments are too small to be accurate.

1 hour ago, BFleming said:

Mine has the Eco mode activated as default (coded as such); the lethargy doesn't bother me as when you slam your foot to the floor it gets the message pretty quickly. I've had mine remapped though, so it's not lacking in horses. If I want to change to Comfort/+ or Sport/+ it's a conscious decision to do so. Eco mode does me the vast majority of the time.

Digital speedometer can be coded in easily; I have it, but never use it. It's a bit small, and the traditional speedometer is legible & accurate enough.

Agree on Eco Pro. 

55 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

I read it and was concerned when I saw figures of 41 to 49mpg being mentioned regularly. I'll see if coast is possible and if RedEx does anything. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I have the digital speedo coded and code it as a standard for all who bring their cars for other things to be coded. It comes into its own when travelling in Europe and you switch to Km/h as it is easier to see the actual speed there rather than the analogue speedo where the Km/h increments are too small to be accurate.

I might need to make a small list of things to be coded ;)

Tried eco pro in mine between Perth and Stirling today to give it a reasonable assessment. It does make the car a bit sluggish and I can’t say it really saved much in the way of fuel compared to comfort mode. Which is what I tend to leave it in most of the time. 

Try driving after putting it in Traction. Improved my mpg every time by 2-3mpg. A tank of shell v power will help from time to time, i was a doubter/cynic too but after dozens of the same journey repeated with let up in speed there was a tangible improvement. Great spec, enjoy. 

I remember the "coasting" feature being discussed before at length, some while ago. From what I remember, there is a section at the bottom of the main dash that shows when it is coasting. At that time many people who thought they had it where getting confused with another feature. Its a long time ago, at least 3 years ago it was discussed and it was an interesting thread which I learnt a lot from. 

Extract from the manual:

EDIT

found the discussion, it was actually in the B47 MPG thread around pages 5,6,7. One of the key comments is copied below.

Coasting

Principle

The system helps to save fuel.

To do this, the engine is automatically disconnected from the gearbox in selector lever position D under certain circumstances. The vehicle continues to roll in idle to reduce consumption. Selector lever position D remains engaged.

This vehicle condition is called coasting.

As soon as the brake or accelerator pedal is depressed, the engine is automatically connected again.

It is selectable in as far as you have to tick a box under Eco Pro Settings in the iDrive.

It does feel distinctly different in that it tends to run away with itself and you also notice when drive reengages.

It only works in Eco Pro and when not using Cruise Control.

It is clear when it is coasting from my Multi Function Display as follows:

Display in the instrument display

Sorry can't attach this time or obtain it from my Manual on My BMW - but see original post.

The marking in the efficiency display has a blue background and is at zero.

The coasting point display is illuminated at zero when coasting.

I don't know what it shows if you only have the standard Black Panel Display - sorry.

Hope this helps.

Edited by nashdm2

Eco Pro (64 plate) a couple of weeks ago I drove to Germany and back in 24hrs in my 520d Touring, did it on one tank of diesel a total of 930 miles, trip computer showed an average of 59 mpg. I was really pleased as I normally get 44 mpg, however I did use Eco Pro  mode the entire journey, literally door to door, I gained a whole 7 miles according to the eco display.  Really disappointed, and the car never sounds nice to me in this mode, quite pleased with the Esso Fuel I used though.

14 hours ago, ronin said:

Eco Pro (64 plate) a couple of weeks ago I drove to Germany and back in 24hrs in my 520d Touring, did it on one tank of diesel a total of 930 miles, trip computer showed an average of 59 mpg. I was really pleased as I normally get 44 mpg, however I did use Eco Pro  mode the entire journey, literally door to door, I gained a whole 7 miles according to the eco display.  Really disappointed, and the car never sounds nice to me in this mode, quite pleased with the Esso Fuel I used though.

7 miles? Something wrong there. My old man did Poland to UK. He filled up just before the German border. Got home on the tank, his eco pro was shwoing 128 miles gained. Eco Pro all the way at 79mph cruise control. He is in a 3 GT but that shouldn't make a huge difference. 

Coasting can be turned on and off in the Eco Pro settings. 

On 9/10/2018 at 8:23 PM, Alan520d said:

Agree on Eco Pro. 

I read it and was concerned when I saw figures of 41 to 49mpg being mentioned regularly. I'll see if coast is possible and if RedEx does anything. 

I might need to make a small list of things to be coded ;)

Where abouts are you based? I can code coasting with bimmercode for you. fairly simple tbh 

Economy is down around 45mpg being 80% A Roads. Seems awful frankly. The engine never seems to settle and always seems to be working to keep a steady pace. Gearbox seems fine with revs always very low.

Might go for the oil and filter changes next. :huh: Shame really as I'm loving everything else on the car. 

After that, might have to investigate an engine remap.

1 hour ago, Alan520d said:

Economy is down around 45mpg being 80% A Roads. Seems awful frankly. The engine never seems to settle and always seems to be working to keep a steady pace. Gearbox seems fine with revs always very low.

Might go for the oil and filter changes next. :huh: Shame really as I'm loving everything else on the car. 

After that, might have to investigate an engine remap.

Same type of driving and getting the same consumption.  If you find the engine labouring try sport mode every now and then. She's a heavy bus so we can't expect miracles. 

On 9/10/2018 at 4:36 PM, Alan520d said:

Hey hey.

64 plate. It's the 65mpg/114 CO2. 

I read the pinned thread in here. One reason why forums like this are useful ^_^ I'll be prepared. 

Looks to be a nice one Alan, the 2014, B47 is poorer than predecessor on m.p.g. I can get over 50m.p.g on motorway runs but in mixed driving no way.  I think 45 m.p.g is probably about average under the conditions you describe and I too would consider a remap when warranty runs out though the difference between 45m.p.g and 50 m.p.g is probably not a lot in the scheme of things unless you are doing a very high mileage. The car however is really nice to drive as you know.

Edited by Dogruff
Error