kayser540

Anyone with virgin mobile?

Hi guys, 

Just seen an offer for a sim only deal with virgin mobile, 100gb data for £20 which I was thinking of getting. 

I have been with one2one/T-Mobile/EE for almost 20years but have recently been told my loyalty discount will not be carried over when my contract ends in October so have decided I will cancel my contract.

I have just looked at the review on trust pilot for virgin mobile and they seem absolutely shocking! I honestly can’t believe a big cooperation will have that many bad reviews! 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/virginmobile.co.uk

i have previously been with virgin media and have had no problems with them. 

Anyone have had had any personal experience with them?

Edited by kayser540

My folks used them, absolute shite

Theyre on Three now and they’ve been faultless. Sim only deal as they bought their phones outright

I use Three for my business mobile and iPad. Again, faultless

Thngs to think about with 3, good and bad:

1. Their 4g coverage is patchy in some areas (not so good)

2. They allow tethering with a reasonably high limit (good)

3. There is no 4g roaming capability, only 3g (not so good)

4. They roam on-plan in more countries than most, e.g. USA, Australia, NZ and more - most only cover EU before they hammer you (good)

Personally I'm happy with 3, I have one of the legacy deals with unlimited data with 30gb tethering limit per month, for £19. NLA though. I have BT Broadband at home though, and my daughter gets 6gb and enough minutes/texts for a tenner, which includes the existing customer discount. Works well, better 4g coverage but roaming limitations (expensive) outside the EU.

Funnily enough I've just left three. I found their service had slowly been degrading over the 7 years I had been with them. 

I found it so frustrating that I couldn't get good signal anywhere (you know the feeling - like wanting to smash your phone), and always had to use wi-fi calling when at home and work. 

Personally I think its since they introduced 4G, as I had noticed a slow degrade in this service since then, which I think is because they hadn't bothered upgrading their core network, instead they QoS and rate limit traffic , so you can never go over a certain threshold. Whereas, on 3G back in 2013 I could get speeds of up to 20Mb and now in the same place on 4G I barley got 5Mbp. 

This was backed up by the fact when they introduced 4G they could no longer offer me unlimited data allowance unless I was willing to pay a ridiculous, as they said their network couldn't support that sort of internet usage from everyone.    Don't know if anyone else re-calls receiving this letter a few years back. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2016/01/three-customers-furious-over-steep-bills-hike

Anyways I am now with Vodafone, and I have already used up 2GB of my data allowance in about a week, with three I wouldn't be able to use that much data in a month, due to how slow 4G/3G was. 

My experience with three was in Sheffield and Halifax, can't comment on what their coverage is like over the rest of the regions. 

Edited by Mr_530i

Three + EE share network equipment, and virgin are an MVNO run off the back of EE so if you're not having great service with one, it will be the same with all three. 

Giffgaff goody bags are always worth a look, especially if you are not a heavy user.  They share the O2 network so are usually reliable.

3 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

Giffgaff goody bags are always worth a look, especially if you are not a heavy user.  They share the O2 network so are usually reliable.

as is Tesco mobile. relatively inexpensive and again, uses O2's infrastructure so mostly reliable. 

Tesco are cheapish (plusnet seem cheaper though) and wife likes the fact you can speak to a person instore rather than elsewhere. But wifi calling isnt allowed. O2 seem to have network capacity issues for data in at least two locations ive noticed round here. 

Ive just moved to BT Mobile and paying less than £6/month after cashback and rewards for a 5gb sim, runs on EE, i got 30mbps yesterday, so pretty fast. Wifi calling is possible which is dead handy for being in parts of low/no reception North Wales quite often. Thumbs-up from me.

39 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Tesco are cheapish (plusnet seem cheaper though) and wife likes the fact you can speak to a person instore rather than elsewhere. But wifi calling isnt allowed. O2 seem to have network capacity issues for data in at least two locations ive noticed round here. 

Ive just moved to BT Mobile and paying less than £6/month after cashback and rewards for a 5gb sim, runs on EE, i got 30mbps yesterday, so pretty fast. Wifi calling is possible which is dead handy for being in parts of low/no reception North Wales quite often. Thumbs-up from me.

Capacity issues where Dave? 

Tesco will be bringing wifi calling, just wont be before H2 2019 at the earliest. 

NF aka Deepan

Had speed issues with data in a number of shopping type areas despite having 4 or 5 bars on 4G.

The BT suited me right down to the ground because of the price and because EE coverage in our place in Wales is better than all the other networks. Combined with wi-fi calling (on the local EU funded fibre!!) its pretty unbeatable.

We are VM, and despite the negatives above, have always had good service! They answer the phone quickly and have always done what they said they would.

32 minutes ago, chrisn7 said:

We are VM, and despite the negatives above, have always had good service! They answer the phone quickly and have always done what they said they would.

Possibly the answer the OP was looking for

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

Had speed issues with data in a number of shopping type areas despite having 4 or 5 bars on 4G.

I'm on 3 and have had to turn off 4G on my phone. Whenever it's on 4G the internet just freezes, very frustrating. 

Edited by Paddy O'Furniture

21 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I'm on 3 and have had to turn off 4G on my phone. Whenever it's on 4G the internet just freezes, very frustrating. 

Which network? This was o2, happens in same locations repeatedly.