sjak92

Speed Limit Info Group Buy

Hello All, 

I have created a separate thread for this as the feedback has been really good. 

The people I have so far who have provided me with VIN's is as follows:

@Hudds.taz

@microcar

@Hurly_Dog

@TameAutumn
@Boba

@saintalan
@Babaikram

@dicky.hillary

@davey Have not got your VIN yet

@Carrera77 Have not got your VIN yet

@FernandoLosada - as you are in Spain, we wont be able to help. All the cars will need to be present. I can ask about remote coding for you if you wish but I presume you would need all the tools, Laptop, cable, software etc etc

Inclusive of myself that Makes 11 people. The requisite is that we all have a KAFAS 4 camera. This should be standard on all UK cars as they all have the basic pre collision warning etc etc 

From various places that I have spoken to, FSC code from the dealers is a cost of around £160 a car. They wont budge on this price. I would - as i presume will the rest on here - would prefer a legit code rather than some dodgy one. The other thing is that we would all need to meet (cool group picture!) As we are all over the place, a central place will be most fair. For the purpose of being fair, I have suggested Birmingham. One of you is from Scotland I believe, if this is too far, please let me know. Most of us seem to be from either Yorkshire or around London so its a good middle ground. 

I have just heard back from the guy im in touch with. The price he has quoted me is £250 per car. That was based on around 6 cars. If we manage to get the 10/11 people, I have told him it needs to be significantly less. The Coding takes around 15-20 minutes a car. a Profit of around £100 a pop x the amount of people we have is massive. 

If I cannot cut him down a little more, I do have someone else that could do the coding. I will speak to them shortly. 

Please respond on this thread so that we have a single thread on the topic. 

Thanks! 

I agree, at £90 a car with only 10 cars, thats £900 for the work. 

All in one place etc etc. Even if its a full day with travel, thats still a killing imo

Birmingham return is a longish haul for me - probably 12 hours-ish depending on time on site, traffic and breaks with £70+ for fuel assuming my mileage improves ;) , so maybe a bit too rich. Manchester-ish would be better but like Tigger there's probably just 1 of me so it'd be a biggish ask.

OTOH I did nip down to Birmingham and back in a day in a Transit to collect my big B&W 801 speakers just last year so maybe ...

Right so the price is £230. That's the lowest he will go. 

Will Run a diagnostic on the car pre and post coding. Let me know who is up for it. 

We will need to PayPal him a deposit of £100 per head to commit to the booking and then arrange a date and place. 

Edited by sjak92

1 hour ago, Boba said:

£100 for the group or per head?

Sorry, should have been more specific, its per head. He needs to order all of the FSC codes in advance. With so many people I don't blame him to be honest, I wouldn't want to front out £1k plus without having people committed 

That wouldn't be fair on those travelling from say Manchester. For me, being in London, Southampton is probably more convenient, but I want to set this up to be as convenient for everyone as possible, hence Birmingham is the most central place. 

whats the consensus on this?. Wait for a few more members?  Where would it be done?

How about the British Motor Museum in Gaydon , its off the M40? I've seen group meetings there 

edit:  that would be good for me, but it would be tough for people coming from Manchester etc.  Passing through Bham is always a pain

Edited by Carrera77

21 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

whats the consensus on this?. Wait for a few more members?  Where would it be done?

How about the British Motor Museum in Gaydon , its off the M40? I've seen group meetings there 

edit:  that would be good for me, but it would be tough for people coming from Manchester etc.  Passing through Bham is always a pain

True but at least they’d know what speed they could travel at (I say could) on the way back. :lol:

7 hours ago, sjak92 said:

That wouldn't be fair on those travelling from say Manchester. For me, being in London, Southampton is probably more convenient, but I want to set this up to be as convenient for everyone as possible, hence Birmingham is the most central place. 

As I live in Winchester - Soton really works for me :mrgreen:

My only issue is availability 

Birmingham's the absolute furthest I'm prepared to drive to. That's already quite a haul for me on top of the (fairly high for quite a modest feature) cost of the coding. I'm not available until mid-October.

isn't it an option to just do it by remote coding?  then nobody needs to travel.

use 1 coding cable and send it to the next person by mail for £5 when you're done with it, if the software that's needed can't be installed on the local pc then there are options like "USB over internet" etc

3 hours ago, Hybrid5 said:

isn't it an option to just do it by remote coding?  then nobody needs to travel.

use 1 coding cable and send it to the next person by mail for £5 when you're done with it, if the software that's needed can't be installed on the local pc then there are options like "USB over internet" etc

That’s a great idea! I’ll look into this. 

Ill also look into others who could do coding. However, the current guy I know as he’s done work for me in the past and I could not fault him.

8 hours ago, sjak92 said:

That’s a great idea! I’ll look into this. 

Ill also look into others who could do coding. However, the current guy I know as he’s done work for me in the past and I could not fault him.

That would be perfect then everyone would save a fair bit on fuel and wouldn’t have to pay as much for the guys time 

Hi just joined and i've been kicking myself everyday I didnt spec SPD - Count me IN please lads!! PM'ing my VIN now.

RE: meet location, southampton is fing 5 hours for me in Hertfordshire lol - why don't we all meet in London haha - but if not Birmingham is doable for me and like you said its bang in the middle (not counting Scotland!!)

Cheers

Taz

So glad I spec’ed the speed limit option originally - reading this I suspect @sjak92 would find it easier to herd cats :lol:. Worth the grief in the end and not a bad price...... I suggest you all chip in a bit more, buy a version of Paragon (transport modelling) put in you home locations and it will tell you the optimum meeting point - just outside Paris I expect. :lol:

4 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

So glad I spec’ed the speed limit option originally - reading this I suspect @sjak92 would find it easier to herd cats :lol:. Worth the grief in the end and not a bad price...... I suggest you all chip in a bit more, buy a version of Paragon (transport modelling) put in you home locations and it will tell you the optimum meeting point - just outside Paris I expect. :lol:

Yea I must admit i'd probably prefer a professional does this rather than me sticking a USB in etc at least he can test it etc and resolve any issues that may arise as not every car may be the same who knows.