Dakota

Headlight flap?

Discovered these flaps today, are the for getting at the headlight bulbs? And what's the deal with that circular panel/lid?

Sorry for all the questions today, my first time really exploring the hidden recesses!

IMG_20180825_145835.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Discovered these flaps today, are the for getting at the headlight bulbs? And what's the deal with that circular panel/lid?

Sorry for all the questions today, my first time really exploring the hidden recesses!

Headlight bulbs are changed from the rear of the unit. 

8 minutes ago, Dakota said:

That's what I thought, hence curious what this flap is for.

I think it is a manufacturing assembly seal rather than offering us access to repairable components in the light cluster. 

8 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

It's just odd, why make it hinged? it's definitely a flap for access, and that round piece has two protrusions which suggest there is a tool for removing it.

No idea what the flap is for, but, I would have had that engine bay hoovered by now Dakota !!!, but that's just me, I am a bit strange and hugely OCD. If I ever get around to selling my F11 somebody is in for a real treat of a totally unmarked and cared for car!!!

38 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

No idea what the flap is for, but, I would have had that engine bay hoovered by now Dakota !!!, but that's just me, I am a bit strange and hugely OCD. If I ever get around to selling my F11 somebody is in for a real treat of a totally unmarked and cared for car!!!

Ha ha! I'm OCD too, now that I've discovered that flap I'll have to clean it out. 

On another note, is it any wonder these cars are so expensive to buy and when they go wrong? Look at the engineering that went into that bonnet release, insane! And there are two of them. 

8 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Bonnet flap is double pull to release without having to lift the centre pad under the bonnet, i think... 

Different conversation but on the F10 it is a single pull on the bonnet release lever in the cabin then move the lever under the bonnet lip to release the bonnet. On newer models it is a double pull on the lever in the cabin and the bonnet is ready to be lifted. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Single pull release on mine but I've noticed the lever under the bonnet is getting reluctant to operate. Still working but very stiff. Do cables need lubricating? 

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Single pull release on mine but I've noticed the lever under the bonnet is getting reluctant to operate. Still working but very stiff. Do cables need lubricating? 

Single pull on everyone with an F10/F11. 

Yes, the cables can start sticking but I’d look to lubricate the complex catch mechanisms under those flaps that started this thread first. 

The adjustments for the headlights are under the flap. You can see one of them at the r/h side under the edge of the lifted flap. I'm sure there are two on mine one for vertical and one for horizontal movement of the beam.

My 2011 car has the Full Monty Xenons with L/R Steering............and under those 2 flaps there are the removable access ports for lamp replacements.

I know the rear access port is for the D1S Xenon Dipped Beams, but this upper one allows access for the H7 Halogens used for the steering inner lamps / Main Beams.

So basically the flaps only needed when you have the higher Spec Headlamp option.

Peter.