WinterIsHarsh

Rust e39 no hope?

Anything can be fixed; just depends on how deep your pockets are!

You need to take it to a car body shop or a decent fabricator and get them to quote you! Some won't touch it, others will suck their teeth and go daft with quotes etc

IMO it'll be around £600 for the fab work, fitting and respraying etc

That's pretty bad.

If it's got to that stage on the sills I reckon they'll be loads more rot elsewhere. Could easily run into thousands.

Personally I wouldnt bother unless it's an M5 or Alpina - realistically it would be far cheaper to buy another car (there are relatively rot free examples around still) and break your car for any good bits

It's a shame but there's really no point throwing good money after bad, it's not that the E39 is particularly rare or valuable although as each year passes there's less and less of them around.

4 minutes ago, pt530i said:

That's pretty bad.

If it's got to that stage on the sills I reckon they'll be loads more rot elsewhere. Could easily run into thousands.

Personally I wouldnt bother unless it's an M5 or Alpina - realistically it would be far cheaper to buy another car (there are relatively rot free examples around still) and break your car for any good bits

It's a shame but there's really no point throwing good money after bad, it's not that the E39 is particularly rare or valuable although as each year passes there's less and less of them around.

This

Christ.. did someone park it in the sea?!

Short of it being a really rare model or something, or if you have sentimental attachment, I'd just bin that and get another one. The amount of money it'd cost to fix that, you can probably pick up a better example!

Wow! Was all that reasonably well hidden before you started cutting into it?

On a brighter note, back in the day when I had time and space I have rebuilt far, far worse than that on fairly worthless old cars, just because I liked them, the cars were very cheap and my time felt free of charge as it was a hobby. As a DIY job without time pressures, that is recoverable, it just depends on how you value your time / sanity.

Before you make a decision look the rest of the car over, carefully. Look at the other end of the sills, especially by the side of the fuel tank and rear jacking blocks. Also look at where the rear subframe mountings meet the rear floor panels. Dig at 'surface rust' and apparently good paint as once loose the old coatings do hide some serious grot. Get the carpets up and see how far that goes up the bulkhead and A-pillars.

If you aren't doing this yourself at your leisure then I don't think this would be economically viably on anything other than a mechanically good, otherwise collectable car.

Edited by THe39M5

Don't suppose you know much about its history? Has it ever been written off due to flood damage? 

Have the vapour barriers failed in the rear door cards and let water in over a prolonged time? 

Looking at that, it seems very severe even for an e39 (only based on ones I've owned). I'm wondering if there are other reasons, I.e. crash damage poorly repaired etc. 

Edited by stu08

wow, that's a bad one. Having welded up an e39 that was nowhere near as bad as that, I really wouldn't bother. I bet that's the tip of the iceberg. Scrap/break it and spend the grand or so that's going to cost on a less rusty e39. Life is too short. 

It really comes down to the bond with the e39 ... It's been in the family for years or is one of those wanted versions Alpina/M5/540 manual  etc. 

We have been down the same route with a manual e34 540 in the past ... Life is about dreams ... without dreams life can be dull  :razz:

Do you have more pictures of the whole e39 ?

7 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

What 1970's car is that in the picture?

That's baked bean can fodder, sorry.

I've had 80's Fords with less rust than that! I don't think an e39 can rust that badly without there being some reason for it (as already said). I don't think I would bother with that personally.

On 7/18/2018 at 3:31 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Anything can be fixed; just depends on how deep your pockets are!

You need to take it to a car body shop or a decent fabricator and get them to quote you! Some won't touch it, others will suck their teeth and go daft with quotes etc

IMO it'll be around £600 for the fab work, fitting and respraying etc

On 7/18/2018 at 10:09 PM, ustbutler said:

That's around £600 worth of repairs   .... Just find the right firm.  It is saveable :smile:

£600??? I need to meet your bodywork guys....thats way more than £600 IMHO... i was quoted £700 just to sort rear arches! That thing needs serious work and best option would be strip it and scrap it.

Just now, trenchy24 said:

£600??? I need to meet your bodywork guys....thats way more than £600 IMHO... i was quoted £700 just to sort rear arches! That thing needs serious work and best option would be strip it and scrap it.

Cheaper ‘up Norf’ pal... Amd £700 for rear arches? Rip off price imo.

The general opinion is save your money and scrap it.  Even if you are good at welding yourself, there is going to be so much more on a car that bad.  Kiss it goodbye and get another that has been carefully vetted.