gaza01

Build 2

Got started on refurbing the front calipers. Bit of paint stripper and a wire wheel on a drill worked a treat. There was a bit of corrosion where water was getting under the paint but this cleaned up nicely. Need to do a final clean up and then on to paint. I've ordered a new seal kit and slide pins and of course brembo stickers :D

20190219_123434.jpg

20190219_145657.jpg

20190219_143553.jpg

20190219_172651.jpg

Had a progressive day today. Front steering and control arms replaced. Also replaced thermostat as suspected it was sticking.

Found one of the bolts for the upper control arm to the chassis partially cross threaded...probably from previous maintenance so ordered 4 new ones plus nuts and washers.

20190224_115108.jpg

20190224_120209.jpg

20190224_150617.jpg

Hey Shaun,

Great progress, loving the attention to detail, keep up the good work.

Regards,

Mick.

2 hours ago, Taffy 1 said:

EBC is good. Tried two types in mine.

EBC went through a bad patch thats really scared them but seem to have improved on their products. I went with red pads as they are ceramic and supposed to give off the least amount of dust. We'll see.

18 minutes ago, Ordnator said:

Hey Shaun,

Great progress, loving the attention to detail, keep up the good work.

Regards,

Mick.

Thank you Mick. Its a nice feeling to finally be getting things done rather than just buying and collecting parts.

Hi Shaun,

Looking good. What are you doing front suspension wise. Are those coilovers? Looks interesting.

Regards

John.

3 hours ago, JohnH said:

Hi Shaun,

Looking good. What are you doing front suspension wise. Are those coilovers? Looks interesting.

Regards

John.

Hi John.

Yes i went with BC coilovers in the end. 

Cheers

Shaun

Few more bits sorted - upgraded master cylinder and e34 m5 rear brakes refurbed and serviced with new seals dust boots and pistons. 

Also a few more bolts for the rear stabilisers as the thread on 2 of them was also worn. 

20190313_182338.jpg

20190309_151149.jpg

20190313_205444.jpg

20 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

They look and found great but pretty sure they do diddly squat for power in my experience :(

Any tips on fitting them? I’ve been told you need to raise the engine?

Stubby spanner’s, patience and a good back!

if the mounts are a bit soggy they may catch. I found on hard acceleration out of a corner it could catch the steering uj normally on track. It maybe mine needed turning 45 on the splines to resolve but never got around to it. 

42 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Stubby spanner’s, patience and a good back!

if the mounts are a bit soggy they may catch. I found on hard acceleration out of a corner it could catch the steering uj normally on track. It maybe mine needed turning 45 on the splines to resolve but never got around to it. 

Cheers. Will give it a go in a few months time when the weather is better

Well the car is back on the ground now. Took it for a test drive yesterday and all seemed fine touch wood. BCs are lightly harsher than the oem suspension but not uncomfortable or crashy. Alignment is way out as to be expected but cornering already seems flatter and with more feedback. 

Brakes seem better but haven't bedded them as yet as i was sent the wrong rear pads so they are only sweeping half of the discs. New pads on their way so I'll bed / test them then.