stu08

Help Centre Air Vent Replacement

Good afternoon all, 

So I've gone to replace my centre air vent with a brand new one from BMW. 

The new vent came as a unit with a new bowden cable. On trying to fit the new air vent I could not get the bowden cable to reach the mechanism under the dashboard. 

I quickly fished my old one out of the bin which was attached to my old and damaged air vent and noticed two things:

1) The bowden cable on the new E39 unit is blue, the one which came off my old one is green

2) The length of the new bowden cable is shorter, hence my issue with not reaching the mechanism. 

This centre air vent and unit was bought from BMW using my reg. number. 

Can anyone help me understand why there are two different length cables and why the new one isn't reaching the bracket it clips in to? 

Thanks for any help. 

Edited by stu08

According to Realoem the part number for the bowden temperature control cable is:

The part number on the bowden temperature control cable attached to my unit is:

Edited by stu08

Does anyone have a picture of how the bowden cable is routed? 

Wondering if I routed it incorrectly... 

Edited by stu08

Now that you put those part numbers I checked things again. It seems that 64118364008 is for RHD and 64118391800 for LHD version. The grille has the same number for LHD/RHD so most likely it always comes with LHD bowden cable. If your original cable is still working use it or get a new RHD bowden cable.

On 7/16/2018 at 8:34 AM, Clavurion said:

Now that you put those part numbers I checked things again. It seems that 64118364008 is for RHD and 64118391800 for LHD version. The grille has the same number for LHD/RHD so most likely it always comes with LHD bowden cable. If your original cable is still working use it or get a new RHD bowden cable.

Thanks for your advice. I went to BMW armed with your post haha. They told me that all centre air vents are sent with the LHD cable as a unit. I've now ordered the RHD bowden and will fit it next weekend.