Greenninja

Tyres and Non Runflat

On 07/01/2019 at 21:47, gazzago said:

Glad to hear they are an improvement. 

Ive just swapped my run flats Goodyear for Dunlop Sport Maxx 2. 

Too early to say but if past history is anything to go by changing my wife’s mini on to non run flats they should be an improvement. 

I know it’s still early days, but how are you finding the Dunlop’s? I’m seriously considering them (non-runflat) as the price seems very good. 

Got no complaints at all with the Dunlops so far. Grippy and compliant. Turn in is sharper than the previous Goodyears. I'll get them again and probably put another pair on the rear at the end of the summer when the current ones are finished.

Recommended in the 17 inch.

Bit late to the party, but as an ex motorcycle courier,  most  couriers i knew carried slime,  but in the event of a blow-out, first thing we had to do was find the hole ( not easy in the dark on poorly lit road -  torch was essential tool )   and roll the bike till the hole is on the  road under the weight of the machine.  IF not, the first thing that happens is a bucket load of slime pumps out of the hole.  I wonder if this is what happened in the post above ?

So to give the final update ive now had my alloy wheels refurbished and new Khumo tyres fitted.... and the difference is night and day, more comfort right from the off and way better grip.. so for anyone who is interested Khumo tyres arent rubbished, ive gone for the Khumo Ecsta PS91.

Very happy, do it!!!

3 hours ago, Greenninja said:

So to give the final update ive now had my alloy wheels refurbished and new Khumo tyres fitted.... and the difference is night and day, more comfort right from the off and way better grip.. so for anyone who is interested Khumo tyres arent rubbished, ive gone for the Khumo Ecsta PS91.

Very happy, do it!!!

Are they run flat?

I had switched to non-RFTs on my 19" wheels, and although a little quieter and more comfortable, my 17" winter RFTs were considerably better.
Had a puncture en route to Scotland still wearing winter boots, and decided to swap out for the only tyres I could find in the size (225/55/17) that are all season and RFT - Goodyear Eagle LS2.

So far so good - will swap out the fronts for another pair of LS2s shortly - then will ditch the style 331 19s. Need a good clean up first but will be on sale here before long!

The 17" tyres wil give more sidewall flex for a more comfy ride even on rft 17" size.

How does the Goodyear LS2 compare to the Michelin cross climates in terms of spec? Looking for something similar on the wife's car.

On 06/01/2019 at 21:15, 535i Andrew said:

Yes, last post on the first page of this thread, @Caesar uses one from an E61 with a spacer to allow it to fit. I know of one other F11 owner made up a kit with a space saver and a jack from an E39. But as it was the touring the loss of boot space with a smaller space saver is less of an issue as in the F10 as you can stand the space saver upright.

Genuine E60/1 kit with jack

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-Space-Saver-Spare-Wheel-Kit-5-Series-E60-E61-36110308889/222401893432?hash=item33c82f9438:g:900AAOSw8i9ac0yH

Or this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-SERIES-F10-F11-2011-2016-SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL-18-COVER-BAG-NEW/162232042838?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AF10&hash=item25c5c88556:g:vMAAAOSwNRdX-N9l

Just be aware that checking that second link which states (F10-F11) up to 2016, when I put my details in the compatibility checker (F11 2016) it tells me that it is NOT compatible.  

On 20/01/2019 at 17:45, savcom said:

Added four Cross-climates to my F10 yesterday.  Not driven much yet but the immediate feedback is how much quieter the car is! :o  I suppose I will need to look for a space-saver kit now.  More money! :(

The fitters were quick to point out that I should let my insurers know - and warned me that the suspension may need tweaking to manage the new tyres.  Has anyone else had to do this?  Doesn't sound that essential does it?

I asked my insurers (Liverpool Victoria) and they told me I didn't need to inform them, provided I wasn't changing size or speed rating.  I suggest you just ring your insurers to cover your arse 

Just bought a 2013 F11 and its had the RFs replaced with non RF Goodyears. This was done by previous owner. Am I supposed to go around the car and report all non standard items to my insurer? (Like the missing runflats) or just pretend I didnt know?

14 hours ago, EeeTea said:

I asked my insurers (Liverpool Victoria) and they told me I didn't need to inform them, provided I wasn't changing size or speed rating.  I suggest you just ring your insurers to cover your arse 

Which is exactly what you are doing if changing from summer to winter tyres.

You don't get much choice of 19" winter tyres so most are 17" or 18" with a corresponding change in width and aspect ratio. Do they define that as a change in size, I wonder? Winter tyres also have a lower speed rating (V) from summer tyres (Y).  

I told my insurance company that I have a set of BMW winter wheels. It's never made its way on to any paperwork they have sent me.

10 hours ago, revjames said:

Am I supposed to go around the car and report all non standard items to my insurer? (Like the missing runflats) or just pretend I didnt know?

Technically that is altering the car from the original manufacturers specification, but BMW will happily sell you an AUC without runflats.

I never mentioned that to my insurance company and the mixture of rfts and non rfts were on the car when I made an albeit non fault claim.

Ignorance is no defence but when these cars are 15+ years old and a decent set of 19" run-flats will double the price of the car, will owners be reporting this alteration from the original manufacturers specification? 

On 08/05/2019 at 17:16, EeeTea said:

I asked my insurers (Liverpool Victoria) and they told me I didn't need to inform them, provided I wasn't changing size or speed rating.  I suggest you just ring your insurers to cover your arse 

On 09/05/2019 at 07:43, 535i Andrew said:

Which is exactly what you are doing if changing from summer to winter tyres.

You don't get much choice of 19" winter tyres so most are 17" or 18" with a corresponding change in width and aspect ratio. Do they define that as a change in size, I wonder? Winter tyres also have a lower speed rating (V) from summer tyres (Y).  

I told my insurance company that I have a set of BMW winter wheels. It's never made its way on to any paperwork they have sent me.

Not sure if I understand you there?  It's not what I'm doing at all:  I'm not changing from summer to winter tyres, nor load, nor speed rating,  nor size. I'm keeping the 18" rims, and the 245/45 profile. The only change is from runflats to non-runflats and I will need to carry tyre weld and a compressor now (which I do anyway).   The point I was making is that LV Insurance is telling me that they did not need to be informed.

Yes if you're changing from 19" to 18" that is a size change - you should inform your insurer, and you will need to change the aspect ratio so the outside circumference remains the same. (but if you stay with standard wheel and tyres for your model, I suspect the insurance peeps will be fine with it).

This is interesting BTW http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Auto-Bild-Sports-Car-Tyre-Test.htm  

@EeeTeaI was using as changing from summers to winters as an example when you do change speed rating at size of tyres. I wasn't implying that was what you were doing in this situation, apologies if you thought that.

If your insurance company wants to know, then others may too. Essentially every time you swap winters/summer wheels on your car, you may need to inform them.

On 03/05/2019 at 21:03, 535i Andrew said:

The 17" tyres wil give more sidewall flex for a more comfy ride even on rft 17" size.

How does the Goodyear LS2 compare to the Michelin cross climates in terms of spec? Looking for something similar on the wife's car.

No idea in terms of spec - but they are fitted as standard to BMWs sold in North America (all over).
Just had to order another pair for the fronts - getting fitted this morning...

On 08/05/2019 at 17:16, EeeTea said:

It's now firmly on my paperwork from Direct Line.  No charge.