sjak92

Detailing Thread for G30/31

2 hours ago, Father Jack said:

I got this done on my current A5 by Audi - it cost about £400 I think. Water still beads, although I do use the Autoglym wax on it whenever I have the time to clean it myself.

The one thing I would say however is that I bought it primarily to prevent against bird poo burning paint. I have to say it's not been wholly effective on that front - one particularly foul dropping on the bonnet still shows up even though I got to it pretty speedily thereafter.

Which is why I was contemplating something a little more robust. However, most of the new car detailing quotes I've had are north of £600 (the south-west detailers are obviously confident with their pricing!) which is rather a lot on top of everything else I've paid for this month :(

ON THE PLUS SIDE I just found out my car will be available a week early, so I am getting it next Thursday. Happy days!

Sorry mine was £400 as well > I just looked at the invoice. Like I say the car looks glossy after a basic shampoo and wash and dry . I've given up anything elaborate and use the Hozelock shampoo stick and Washer Brush plus plenty of water, but it could be  just the paint job

16 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

Sorry mine was £400 as well > I just looked at the invoice. Like I say the car looks glossy after a basic shampoo and wash and dry . I've given up anything elaborate and use the Hozelock shampoo stick and Washer Brush plus plenty of water, but it could be  just the paint job

Washer brush? As in the thing that attaches to your hose and has water coming out whilst you wash the car with it?

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

Washer brush? As in the thing that attaches to your hose and has water coming out whilst you wash the car with it?

yeah, plus a shampoo stick that you insert in the brush. Takes about 2 sticks to do a car. Is that bad practice or what?

2 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

yeah, plus a shampoo stick that you insert in the brush. Takes about 2 sticks to do a car. Is that bad practice or what?

You're kidding right? Please leave this thread haha. That is the absolute worst thing you can do, might as well wash it with a brillo pad or sand paper

30 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

You're kidding right? Please leave this thread haha. That is the absolute worst thing you can do, might as well wash it with a brillo pad or sand paper

dont get it.  You are constantly flushing the brush which is better than wash squeeze with a cloth or pad

Only just got the brush. There are lots of different attachments you can get

1 hour ago, Carrera77 said:

dont get it.  You are constantly flushing the brush which is better than wash squeeze with a cloth or pad

Only just got the brush. There are lots of different attachments you can get

If you care about your paintwork, you wash with a mitt. Micro fibre or lambs wool. 

The brush, sponge, cloth or pad are all too coarse and chase micro abrasions which cause swirl marks in the sunlight. Your car will look ok when washed, but shine any light on it and the paintwork will looked ruined.

the only thing I would consider using the brush on would be the wheels but never on paintwork

Edited by sjak92

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

If you care about your paintwork, you wash with a mitt. Micro fibre or lambs wool. 

The brush, sponge, cloth or pad are all too coarse and chase micro abrasions which cause swirl marks in the sunlight. Your car will look ok when washed, but shine any light on it and the paintwork will looked ruined.

the only thing I would consider using the brush on would be the wheels but never on paintwork

I certainly dont want micro abrasions. I have no problem using a mitt but the problem seems to be keeping it clean.  I dont want to rub grime back in.   With a flow through brush,  light pressure in a sweeping action, and detergent help to dislodge dirt and grime and the water flushes it away

Well I'll examine it under a high intensity light :)

55 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

I certainly dont want micro abrasions. I have no problem using a mitt but the problem seems to be keeping it clean.  I dont want to rub grime back in.   With a flow through brush,  light pressure in a sweeping action, and detergent help to dislodge dirt and grime and the water flushes it away

Well I'll examine it under a high intensity light :)

Theres nothing to examine mate. Google washing car with a brush and everywhere will say the same. It's effectively the same thing as you have at a jet wash in Tesco for example. Brush, with foam running through it for lubrication. You lubricate the paint and wash away the dirt with the brush. Here you don't even have the foam to lubricate, just water.

It is the worst possible way to wash a car. Hence we all bang on about pre soaking a car above which softens the dirt and allows it to fall away, then blast off as much with pressure washer and manually clean the car with a mitt as last thing to remove the last elements of dirt. Even this is done top to bottom and in straight motions and not circular (whilst rinsing the mitt - preferably in separate bucket - very often) to prevent rubbing grime in - hence avoiding scratches - by lifting the dirt away from car in small areas at time and coming back round with a clean foamy mitt again. 

On 01/05/2019 at 08:15, Father Jack said:

I'm based in the South-West, Bath/Bristol/Wiltshire areas are within range. Exclusive Car Care was the company I was looking at. They seem to be highly rated (most reviews are glowing). They do have a number of other product options available on the ceramic coatings and I've asked them to call me back to discuss options. It does include a single stage machine polish. I'll find out what else is covered and thanks for the heads-up re the water repellent on windscreen!

This link may also help in your search: https://pro-valets.co.uk/

13 hours ago, Mr H said:

This link may also help in your search: https://pro-valets.co.uk/

Thanks - very helpful. It brought up a few providers which Google didn't.

On another note, that's a fine looking car. Is that Sophisto Grey or Bluestone? Just 48 hours now until I get mine, it will go slowly I'm sure...

6 hours ago, Father Jack said:

Thanks - very helpful. It brought up a few providers which Google didn't.

On another note, that's a fine looking car. Is that Sophisto Grey or Bluestone? Just 48 hours now until I get mine, it will go slowly I'm sure...

No problem, glad to help.

It is Bluestone; it does seem to change hue depending on the light conditions. Don't worry, it will be worth the wait :mrgreen:

Morning all. I thought I'd share the experience I've just had of getting a new car detail done. As per my posts above I spent a long time researching it, and now it's done I'm so pleased I did it.

I got the following done:

• Multi-stage wash
  • Chemically decontaminated
  • A light tickle with the machine polisher to remove factory haze...
  • Paintwork inspected and panel wiped
  • Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light applied to paintwork
  • Gtechniq G1 glass coating applied (but not on windscreen, to avoid wiper judder)
  • Wheel faces protected with Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour
  • Leather surfaces protected with Gtechniq L1

Delighted with the result. Happy to share detailer's info (provided that doesn't contravene any advertising policies)! :-D

G30 1.jpg

g30 3.jpg

G30 4.jpg

5 hours ago, Father Jack said:

Morning all. I thought I'd share the experience I've just had of getting a new car detail done. As per my posts above I spent a long time researching it, and now it's done I'm so pleased I did it.

I got the following done:

• Multi-stage wash
  • Chemically decontaminated
  • A light tickle with the machine polisher to remove factory haze...
  • Paintwork inspected and panel wiped
  • Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light applied to paintwork
  • Gtechniq G1 glass coating applied (but not on windscreen, to avoid wiper judder)
  • Wheel faces protected with Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour
  • Leather surfaces protected with Gtechniq L1

Delighted with the result. Happy to share detailer's info (provided that doesn't contravene any advertising policies)! :-D

G30 1.jpg

g30 3.jpg

G30 4.jpg

Love this - makes me so happy I got Sophisto Grey as a colour. It’s so nice, especially when the sun shines and you see the fleck in the paint!

This looks like an amazing job! 

2 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

Love this - makes me so happy I got Sophisto Grey as a colour. It’s so nice, especially when the sun shines and you see the fleck in the paint!

This looks like an amazing job! 

Thanks - yes the detailer really did earn his money. A really thorough job.

It obviously looks great now in the sunshine but it really lifts the look of the car in the shade too. The sophisto grey is actually very dark in certain lights but the detailing has made it so much more glossy and good looking in those conditions. The wheels also look that little bit sharper now too (and should stay that way). Well, well worth the money!

1 hour ago, Father Jack said:

It obviously looks great now in the sunshine but it really lifts the look of the car in the shade too. The sophisto grey is actually very dark in certain lights but the detailing has made it so much more glossy and good looking in those conditions. The wheels also look that little bit sharper now too (and should stay that way). Well, well worth the money!

It actually made me get off my arse and wash mine for the first time in a month too haha!

1 hour ago, Back2Beemer said:

It actually made me get off my arse and wash mine for the first time in a month too haha!

You didn’t see mine before it went in...filthy!

The problem is, I know know what it can look like...mission will be to keep it looking that way :D

Galvanised me into washing off the seagull s**t this evening. The rest can wait until it’s a bit cooler.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:36 PM, Father Jack said:

Very nice.

On 4/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, sjak92 said:

Completely forgot I had these! Was done in July last year.

Car straight after a full detail at Offset Detailing in Essex! Full wash down and decontamination with Auto Finesse products, Pyramid Car Care 9H ceramic coating applied to paintwork. Exterior glass coated with Gtechniq Smart Glass, interior detail, engine bay detail and wheel faces freshened up with Pyramid wheel armour.

Everything is highly recommended except the windscreen coating, just didn't work for me at low speeds and wipers kept jumping :(

Pictures don't really do it that much justice

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_715.thumb.jpg.469670c21ad488bdd7afa33c39b6be95.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_712.thumb.jpg.4c2ab82f944e8b85e1973ea1da77a864.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_710.thumb.jpg.574953acd91f624dd8e7ede00c4f429a.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_70f.thumb.jpg.14e7fc990a43e5c337d00d4b4d4c63ca.jpgfTkjYZzMSya1GLHchjZEoA_thumb_71c.thumb.jpg.0fa1b906854919a21059f7d1b57fd29f.jpg1449038193_ZHdWR6auSaOXN81bSW5tw_thumb_727.thumb.jpg.d832e42c30ab708f85eb56a5e6560aad.jpg

Daryl at Offset is a demon ...... glad to see someone else that uses him @sjak92

On 6/28/2019 at 5:36 PM, Father Jack said:

Thing I have found with many detailers is that they absolutely love what they do -- makes their work a lot more enjoyable.  The guy I use just loves cars and loves what he does.