sjak92

Detailing Thread for G30/31

50 minutes ago, Hurly_Dog said:

Only just read the rest of this thread. Why have you got a clay bar and wax if your car has been ceramic coated? It's pointless waxing on top of ceramic and the clay bar will introduce marring.

#justasking

Look at the dates. That was “detailed” by me and then went in for a service around a week later first week of May. 

Service also run mine through an automatic Karcher wash. The dead give away was the fact that they ripped off all of my black vinyl on the spoiler etc. That and the fact that my dash cam recorded everything!

Took around a week to sort out a deal.  I booked the car in for a full correction detail + ceramic on all surface including wheels (again). The service refunded me the cost once I sent them the invoice.

contrary to what you say, wax over ceramic is a very good idea. Commonly used on ceramic coated cars around 2 hours later, where wax forms a protective layer over ceramic allowing it to cure properly rather than being introduced to the elements straight away

Edited by sjak92

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

Anyone here used the BMW Protect X? I'm still considering whether or not to bother and could use some useful feedback :P

If that's the stuff that they spray on the car before delivery, then I have it on mine. No idea whether it does anything, but the little bag full of cleaning products they left in the boot was quite handy.

4 hours ago, Mr H said:

Anyone here used the BMW Protect X? I'm still considering whether or not to bother and could use some useful feedback :P

Guard X is the name and it is incredibly expensive and pathetically rubbish as a product. Almost all manufacturers try to flog you the whole set from paint to interior protection. 

Reputable detailer would probably say it’s worse quality than Halfords own brand stuff :/

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Guard X is the name and it is incredibly expensive and pathetically rubbish as a product. Almost all manufacturers try to flog you the whole set from paint to interior protection. 

Reputable detailer would probably say it’s worse quality than Halfords own brand stuff :/

I must have got something else then, because mine cost next to nothing to have done.

19 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

I must have got something else then, because mine cost next to nothing to have done.

My dealer is quoting £599! I've now got a quote from a detailer (using Max Protect UNC-R) for £450 so I've a feeling BMW will not be getting my business in that respect :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

I’ve checked, mine was protect-x, can’t remember the cost but I wouldn’t have spent more than £100 as I don’t really see the point in keeping cars clean.

Probably not the thread for you then! haha

You could be right there, it does hold a certain morbid fascination though, rather like watching Channel 5 in the old days - I knew nothing positive would come from it but I still did it.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:41 AM, Mr H said:

I paid 300 last year and it is absolute rubbish. It doesn't protect the car from anything and despite sales person saying it is lifetime warrantied, service manager said no it needs to be re-applied every 6 months! Dont know which one of them was lying though.