DerekJr.

E39 Headlamp Projector Alternatives

On 03/12/2018 at 13:54, BarryM said:

Can you get some larger photos next time :)

Ah, I didn't know that they will be that large! :lol:

On 03/12/2018 at 07:51, adam- said:

Can you not chase down the standoffs with a die to bring them in?

Could possibly do. Don't forget that the bixenon projector unit is shorter than OEM. I didn't want it to go so far forward that I would struggle to put a bulb in the projector once everything is back together :)

I've managed to do the driver side today. It took longer than expected due to me painting the side reflector (Rover Vermillion Orange) and indicator lens (Tangerine Orange), and the low beam/bixenon shroud gloss black. On top of this, the weather wasn't on my side today lol. The difference is amazing. The beam is crisp and I feel like I'm driving a new car.

I will upload pics of the beam pattern etc in due course

1 hour ago, adam- said:

All that money on Morimotos and you have halogen plate lights? Ew.

I've had my fair share of LED plate lights...they turned out to be either problematic (flashing or causing indicators to flash fast) or not as long lasting as incandescent bulbs which defeats one of the purposes of upgrading to LED bulbs lol. I might look into it in the future, but it's not at the top of my priority list at the moment :) 

49 minutes ago, ttrw2 said:

Brilliant Derek - cheers for being the pioneer and sharing 

No worries! I see that they have brought out a new bixenon projector which has more of a European kink called the 5.0. However, at least now we know that the e39 lights can be upgraded while still keeping the OEM look instead of buying those horrid aftermarket lamps. 

Very nice work Derek, you've got me very interested now. Been looking for some tired xenons for a long time and think I've found a set at last (they are very tired).

As we're so close I'd quite like to compare your beam to my standard xenons that have had the same bulbs for at least 6 years (and possibly a lot longer) - I know a couple of local Asda car parks :)

Not sure if you mentioned in the thread if you replaced your bulbs/ballasts/igniters and have you coded flash to pass?

I even did a search on HID planet to try and get some useful info but they really do talk a foreign language on there!

cheers

Barry.

Edited by BarryM

On 18/12/2018 at 17:21, BarryM said:

Very nice work Derek, you've got me very interested now. Been looking for some tired xenons for a long time and think I've found a set at last (they are very tired).

As we're so close I'd quite like to compare your beam to my standard xenons that have had the same bulbs for at least 6 years (and possibly a lot longer) - I know a couple of local Asda car parks :)

Not sure if you mentioned in the thread if you replaced your bulbs/ballasts/igniters and have you coded flash to pass?

I even did a search on HID planet to try and get some useful info but they really do talk a foreign language on there!

cheers

Barry.

Thanks Barry!

Yeah, sure! I'd be up for meeting with you and comparing OEM xenon with the Morimoto bi-xenon. I would be interested in the difference too. I have some mid-range (Lunex) bulbs that I'm using, but they are like 2-3 years old now. Just let me know when you would like to meet up and I will make a plan.

I'm still using the genuine OEM ballast I bought from eBay. In the near future, I will upgrade the bulbs for some Philips or Osrams. I haven't coded flash to pass and I don't think I will do it. I'll get a high beam H7 splitter so that when I do use my high beam, the bi-xenon part and my LED high beams will both illuminate. However, if my low beams are switched off, then it will just be my LED high beams that will illuminate (flash to pass). 

Thanks

Derek

On 19/12/2018 at 23:09, DerekJr. said:

Yeah, sure! I'd be up for meeting with you and comparing OEM xenon with the Morimoto bi-xenon. Just let me know when you would like to meet up and I will make a plan.

Jolly good, I’ll PM you my mobile number

Derek and I met up last night on a Portsmouth industrial estate, told the wife I was out to compare headlights and you can imagine what she had to say.............anyway I think the comparison is quite useful.

A couple of things to bear in mind about the photos, Derek hasn't got his main beams wired up so his photos are just the bi-xenon (low & high) and I took all photos standing by the r/h side of my car so the spread of light from his lights is from further left than  my photos. My xenon bulbs have not been changed in my ownership so at least 6 years old and Derek is running Lunex bulbs. I've always been impressed with my lights and considered them on a par compared to most modern cars.

The bi-xenons definitely appear brighter with a better cut off, difficult to tell from the photos but I think the spread of the bi-xenons is better too. Main beam is noticeably brighter and higher with the bi-xenons but given that Derek has his low beam set a little low I'm not sure now much of the main is actually usable. 

Low beam - OEM xenon

348490610_OEMxenonsatwall.thumb.jpg.6b4826cb5ddd53fd2490f34dffcacc2b.jpg

Low beam bi-xenon

1212368132_Bi-xenonlowatwall.thumb.jpg.2ef36a3c79187ea0c813ff3b86aeec7c.jpg

Low beam - OEM xenon + main beam (halogen)

132686366_OEMxenonsmainhalogenatwall.thumb.jpg.b1855841e9a6787ba714299c67ffa0a2.jpg

High beam bi-xenon

377088812_Bi-xenonhighatwall.thumb.jpg.055aa51bca95bfcab34ee161532a87fd.jpg

I'll do a second post to show the spread and throw of the lights.

I'm interested about bi-xenon at MOT, is there any problems because of bi-xenon function which might be pointing to modification? Of course matter of how competent about actual car is guy in test.

I have done exactly the same modification, just different projectors were used, my car's MOT is due next month, so I'm just wondering what to expect.

On 30/12/2018 at 11:55, adam- said:

The left hand shutter has a weird "second" cut off?

The left-hand beam was aimed slightly higher than the right beam. You can adjust the beam using the screws on the headlamp. I just didn't fine-tune it by the time this picture was taken. 

12 hours ago, BarryM said:

Hi Derek, just wondered if the bi-xenons have worked fine all this time?

Still working like the first day I fitted them. I've had no problems with it. The company brought out the next gen projector shortly after I fitted mine, with a more European slanted kick.

11 hours ago, Ray112 said:

I'm interested about bi-xenon at MOT, is there any problems because of bi-xenon function which might be pointing to modification? Of course matter of how competent about actual car is guy in test.

I have done exactly the same modification, just different projectors were used, my car's MOT is due next month, so I'm just wondering what to expect.

It was fine during MOT and passed the 2019 and 2020 MOT with no issues regarding the headlamps. I bought a Y splitter so that my high beams still work when the dipped beam is off and I flash my lights.

19 minutes ago, DerekJr. said:

The left-hand beam was aimed slightly higher than the right beam. You can adjust the beam using the screws on the headlamp. I just didn't fine-tune it by the time this picture was taken. 

Still working like the first day I fitted them. I've had no problems with it. The company brought out the next gen projector shortly after I fitted mine, with a more European slanted kick.

It was fine during MOT and passed the 2019 and 2020 MOT with no issues regarding the headlamps. I bought a Y splitter so that my high beams still work when the dipped beam is off and I flash my lights.

When I flash with dipped lights off, it's just original high beam which flashes. With dipped beam on it's both of them flashing.

So I understand that you added feed from high beam to ballast with some kind of diode to make power go just one way?