tilly

Spacer on air suspension

I have just received 2  Aerosus BMW 5 GT F07/F11 Rear Air Spring / Air Suspension Bags for my BMW F11 525 D Touring to replace both the rear suspension bags which are now leaking.

I bought this car new in 2010. In 2014 the left rear air suspension was torn and replaced by BMW free of charge as a good will gesture.

When the old leaking units were removed today, one( the newer one 2014) had a black ring attached. The original one on the car from new did not. Therefore I have been driving the car for 4 years with one airbag with a ring and one without.

With the Aerosus airbags do they need these black rings fitted as they are not supplied with the bags?

BMW do not sell the rings separately so if  they are necessary, to get one, I would have to buy a complete OEM unit which will contain the ring for over £300 from BMW. I noticed that the Arnott air spring does not require this part for installation. 

.1aaa.JPG.27284fd603e8f8f3c20647d185bce703.JPG

Any help would be appreciated.

12 minutes ago, sshooie said:

My understanding is the spacer is for vehicles fitted with rear wheel steer, mine isn't and didn't have a spacer, perhaps @Matthew Ashton could confirm. 

Thanks . If that is the explanation then it would explain a lot. If in 2014 an apprentice fitted the new air bag then it would have been supplied with a spacer and they just fitted the part that was given them.

11 hours ago, tilly said:

I have just received 2  Aerosus BMW 5 GT F07/F11 Rear Air Spring / Air Suspension Bags for my BMW F11 525 D Touring to replace both the rear suspension bags which are now leaking.

I bought this car new in 2010. In 2014 the left rear air suspension was torn and replaced by BMW free of charge as a good will gesture.

When the old leaking units were removed today, one( the newer one 2014) had a black ring attached. The original one on the car from new did not. Therefore I have been driving the car for 4 years with one airbag with a ring and one without.

With the Aerosus airbags do they need these black rings fitted as they are not supplied with the bags?

BMW do not sell the rings separately so if  they are necessary, to get one, I would have to buy a complete OEM unit which will contain the ring for over £300 from BMW. I noticed that the Arnott air spring does not require this part for installation. 

Any help would be appreciated.

The current BMW Airsprings all have the black ring as far as I'm aware. The replacement manufacturers probably all use a similar mould for the plastic parts which does away for the need to use the black ring other than cars with Integral Active Steering - Arnott specifically state their part is not for use with such equipped cars. I've not replaced my airsprings yet on a 2010 F11 so don't know whether I have the ring or not. Your car would have performed just fine though one with and one without the ring as the air spring is a dumb unit with the amount of air controlled by the ride height sensor and the compressor. 

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The current BMW Airsprings all have the black ring as far as I'm aware. The replacement manufacturers probably all use a similar mould for the plastic parts which does away for the need to use the black ring other than cars with Integral Active Steering - Arnott specifically state their part is not for use with such equipped cars. I've not replaced my airsprings yet on a 2010 F11 so don't know whether I have the ring or not. Your car would have performed just fine though one with and one without the ring as the air spring is a dumb unit with the amount of air controlled by the ride height sensor and the compressor. 

This is a pic of the OEM airspring.

1aab.thumb.JPG.653a1c09a46087c2c41643edbdd0aa52.JPG

I believe that you remove the ring if your car is not fitted with Intergral Active Steering. Like I said mine had one on and one off for 4 years. I believe that from new it did not have the rings but the replacement was fitted with the ring supplied. I'm just going to see what happens without the rings since I don't want to pay over £300 just to get the ring.

6 hours ago, tilly said:

This is a pic of the OEM airspring.

I believe that you remove the ring if your car is not fitted with Intergral Active Steering. Like I said mine had one on and one off for 4 years. I believe that from new it did not have the rings but the replacement was fitted with the ring supplied. I'm just going to see what happens without the rings since I don't want to pay over £300 just to get the ring.

If you go OEM (which you'd be mad to do due to cost) you will install the Spring as it is supplied which includes the black ring, it isn't an optional part. The Airspring for an IAS or MSport suspension car is a different part number to the car with standard suspension yet both have the Black ring. Why your car doesn't have the black ring on the remaining original air spring is by the by and not of consequence here. None of the 3rd party parts are supplied with the Black ring and they obviously believe (and it has been proven by the multitude of users) that the black ring is unnecessary unless IAS is part of the car's option set.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

38 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

If you go OEM (which you'd be mad to do due to cost) you will install the Spring as it is supplied which includes the black ring, it isn't an optional part. The Airspring for an IAS or MSport suspension car is a different part number to the car with standard suspension yet both have the Black ring. Why your car doesn't have the black ring on the remaining original air spring is by the by and not of consequence here. None of the 3rd party parts are supplied with the Black ring and they obviously believe (and it has been proven by the multitude of users) that the black ring is unnecessary unless IAS is part of the car's option set.

Thanks for the confirmation. We came to the conclusion that since my car does not have IAS the Black ring was not essential. The two Aerosus airsprings have now been fitted  and the cost  is over 20% less than the cost of a single OEM airspring. I have written to Aerosus just asking for their opinion and am awaiting a reply. It is of little consequence since the job has been done. Once again thanks to everybody for all the help, it really has been worthwhile and much appreciated.