NuckingFuts

Head Units

Ladies and Gents, 

I'm looking for a single din head unit, WITH optical out AND application control.

It seems that the ones on the market have either one or the other but not both. 

Thanks

Deepan

Hi NF,

You'd be much better off asking on the Talkstuff forum. When you say App control, I guess you mean Apple or Android apps? When it comes to optical out, those units are usually centred around very high SQ and internal electronics/DACS (where used) and build quality, so apps aren't really supported/used etc. With the reduction recently of high quality brands making high quality head units there's perhaps less chances of you finding such a unit with both feature sets. I haven't seen any recently for instance but I'd need to look again at the remaining brands ranges to see if there's anything?!!

What kind of setup are you thinking of now in order to go optical?!

Cheers, Dennis!

12 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi NF,

You'd be much better off asking on the Talkstuff forum. When you say App control, I guess you mean Apple or Android apps? When it comes to optical out, those units are usually centred around very high SQ and internal electronics/DACS (where used) and build quality, so apps aren't really supported/used etc. With the reduction recently of high quality brands making high quality head units there's perhaps less chances of you finding such a unit with both feature sets. I haven't seen any recently for instance but I'd need to look again at the remaining brands ranges to see if there's anything?!!

What kind of setup are you thinking of now in order to go optical?!

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis, I've replied to your text, but to keep information available to all, 

I'm still going with the iPad in the dash route, with Shaky @ Studio Incar re-fashioning the existing fascia plate I have. 

As caraudiosecurity have a sale on, the Audison Prima 8.9 is £500 and their APK130 speakers are £160. 

Does anyone know the size of the rear speakers in the touring? the ones in the roof? 

I can connect my iPad directly to the head unit i had in mind (Sony MEX-N6002BD) and control it with an APP/bluetooth, and connect my iPad directly to the Audison DSP to utilise the digital audio. 

Aside from that, i haven't got any further with any decisions. 

i'm hoping they don't have my trousers down any further. 

oh, and anyone that wants the Alpine ILX-702E46 - they have it for £599 (cash/debit OR £619 - Credit) they have none in stock, but will order it and honour the price. 

Thanks

Deepan

Edited by NuckingFuts

Hi Deepan,

The speaker location in the roof of our Tourings is a) facing directly downwards to the boot floor so about the worst location possible and also, there's about 3cm of depth along with some roof support metal which would interfere with the diameter of any quality aftermarket speaker you could go for. I'd say it's not worth considering this location at all. 

Not seeing the point of having a separate single DIN head unit and then the DSP capabilities of the Audison Prima 8.9, wouldn''t it just be simpler to have all audio from the iPad going directly to the Prima ? or am I missing something?

Cheers, Dennis!

50 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Deepan,

The speaker location in the roof of our Tourings is a) facing directly downwards to the boot floor so about the worst location possible and also, there's about 3cm of depth along with some roof support metal which would interfere with the diameter of any quality aftermarket speaker you could go for. I'd say it's not worth considering this location at all. 

Not seeing the point of having a separate single DIN head unit and then the DSP capabilities of the Audison Prima 8.9, wouldn''t it just be simpler to have all audio from the iPad going directly to the Prima ? or am I missing something?

Cheers, Dennis!

You're right Dennis, the need for a single din head unit is completely futile for this exercise but if it's on sale for a decent wedge off, I might as well; but not necessary. 

I need to buy a wifi speaker adapter (airplay/dlna compatible) with an optical out to connect directly to the dsp, so then the iPad will play music/radio direct from the iPad. 

So I bought the Audison Prima 8.9 DSP+Amp and the APK130 speakers, as well as an Airplay/WiDAC compatible adapter with optical out which may negate the need for a head unit at all, unless i can get one with bluetooth (for phone calls) cheap. 

@DennisCooper what wiring kit would you recommend for the Audison? and would the door speakers just plug in to the existing wiring? 

I'd need to get the necessary wiring this weekend due to me being booked in to see Shaky @ Studio-Incar on Tuesday 15th May. 

I'd also need to find a Micro-USB to live/ignition wire to be able to have the WiFi adapter on either all the time (so to not loose settings) or as the prima powers up if it has a cmos battery to remember basic settings. 

If anyone else has any recommendations, please shout. 

Cheers.

Deepan

Hey guys, sorry off your topic on your convo, but related to head units.

Wanted to know if changing the head unit only (not audio, like speakers etc) to something more updated from mid-unit & cd plater (original) reduces the value of an E39 in the case of a sale in your opinion?

Changing the HU is something I am considering on a recent purchase for personal use.

I don't really need anything fancy just able to connect my phone to the system via AUX or Bluetooth (maybe a via FM freq). but might go further if it doesn't affect the re-sell value. thanks,

Imran

Hi Greykhan,

The Purists and/or 'OEM Only' guys will not like any aftermarket head unit or add-on's that use wires or tech items that stick out or are on show and if they went to view a car for sale with those visible, they'd clutch their pearl necklaces and gasp. They'd then most likely try to offer less money to purchase. If the E39 was a totally pristine, very well maintained example in the sought after colours, low miled and with the right options and also a 530i manual/one of the run out edition models, a 540i Sport Manual or an M5 re-sale value would be affected due to the vast majority of potential buyers wanting things to be as close to OEM as possible. If the car isn't the above, then you'll not get marked down too much as the E39 began being a bongernomics car a few years back now. 

The best route forward would be to remove and store the OEM head unit/MID panel & cassette units,  and when it comes time to re-sell, just swap it back in again. The BMW oem speakers are mediocre at best, and that was when they were brand new. They also have a specific impedance custom to the E39 OEM audio setups. If you connect an aftermarket head unit to use them, you will get sound output but it won't sound right due to the aftermarket car audio convention of using 4 ohm speakers. If you aren't concerned about sound quality, then connect up the OEM speakers, else, some £50-75 2 way component's in the front doors will offer you a marked increased in SQ without breaking the bank. 

Many aftermarket head unit's offer Bluetooth Audio streaming, so go that route rather than using an Aux wire. 

Which E39 have you recently purchased ?!

Cheers, Dennis!

Oh come on Dennis you make such a big deal of them and us.

The problem most “purists” have is that the dash design is very specific and most aftermarket units jar visually. 

The other issue is that you lose the OBC functionality which for me is an issue. 

If if you can live with either points that’s fine. 

No problem with tech ad ons with wires it just needs to look right too. 

Hi Duncan,

Thing is though, it's true! Heard & seen it many many times at shows and events, online etc and amongst friends who are BMW owners, it extends to plenty of other aspects of BMW's too. I'm not saying 'all' owners are as dramatic but a significant proportion are. Many owners are different, some do mind a wire showing, other's don't. Some Don't mind losing the OBC, other's won't tolerate it. One thing remains a constant and that is re-sale value is negatively affected if changes such as a head unit (and other aspects of a car) have been changed when selling. The advice to swap back OEM items where changes/modifications have been done in order to get a better chance and thus higher asking price is apt for what Greykhan mentions. 

Cheers, Dennis!

21 hours ago, greykhan said:

Hey guys, sorry off your topic on your convo, but related to head units.

Wanted to know if changing the head unit only (not audio, like speakers etc) to something more updated from mid-unit & cd plater (original) reduces the value of an E39 in the case of a sale in your opinion?

Changing the HU is something I am considering on a recent purchase for personal use.

I don't really need anything fancy just able to connect my phone to the system via AUX or Bluetooth (maybe a via FM freq). but might go further if it doesn't affect the re-sell value. thanks,

Imran

Do you have a CD changer in the rear Imran?

What's your current setup (is it the 16:9 head unit) with the amp and CD changer in the boot, or the OEM cassette/Business head unit in the front etc?

If you wanted simplicity, you could go for an FM / Bluetooth transmitter; that'll plug into the cigarette lighter and it'll give you a 'hands free' of sorts for calls and Bluetooth music playback. They work fine, not the best in the world for sound quality, but they do the job good enough

If you've a CD changer in the car, you could go for the Grom Audio BT3 unit, like I have, that plugs into the CD changer wiring (makes the CD changer redundant through, not that I had one) and then feed the simple Bluetooth mic wiring to wherever you want in the drivers cabin for hands-free calls and it also does Bluetooth music playback. They're £120 IIRC from the Grom Audio website, worth looking into. No visible wires, just the mic which is easy to install and place so its discreet etc

IMO it won't affect resale value too much, unless you start faffing with lots of aftermarket wiring, speakers and head unit. That'll appeal to some folk, it'll put others off. So it's all down to you, your budget and what you want to achieve :) 

Depending what set up you have already another option is a later CD player from an x5 with the later software so which you can add a generic aux in lead or a Bluetooth transmitter (the latter I’m hoping to try) but essentially the later head unit has the ability to add the aux in function. 

The wide screen set up I think already supports this. 

Thanks, Dennis, Dan and Duncan, sorry about the late reply. been away.

@DennisCooper

Appreciate the advice. I've got 2002 530i Auto, the individual blue velvet. very straight, some chip marks on front and a few little scratches as expected for the age. A little bubble that has dealt with on the rear door frame, can be sanded and painted.

front under-bumper cover/black plastic needs replacing has a bit of plastic missing. alloys are mint, the interior is also very good, main armrest has a few marks and mid-unit has some pixels missing. see images.

76k miles on the clock just had a great health check at BMW. so my thinking was (hoping) it will keep its value well. that may not be the case. images of the car below. thoughts?

@d_a_n1979@duncan-uk thanks for the info, I do have biz CD unit in the front and I think CD changer and AMP in the back.

I've tried the cig lighter Bluetooth and it works well for what I need tbh. So now thinking of just replacing the mid-unit, looks like I can get a 2nd hand one for the price of replacing the screen.

my mid has tel button that doesn't do anything it seems and ive seen some with a BC button, which my one doesn't have.

Thanks again guys