AndyM

DIY retrofit reversing camera - COMPLETE

20 hours ago, vedran.kravic said:

Someone to help?

Poslano sa mog CLT-L29 koristeći Tapatalk

Here is the wiring diagram for the TRSVC module. This diagram has all 5 camera connections shown but yours is just the Reverse Camera version so you only need to concern yourself with plugs: A24 (reverse camera), A167*2B, A167*3B, and Z2. YOu probably need a copy of ISTA so you can trace the wiring all the way to the headunit which should answer your questions above.

TRSVC Module Wiring F10 2014.pdf

On 6/10/2020 at 10:07 AM, Matthew Ashton said:

So long as you code Reverse Camera - 3AG and not Surround View - 5DL I believe the module will only look for the reverse camera being attached ignoring the other 4 connections. 

I'm not one for contributing to conspiracy theories but it always amazes me that the Latvian sellers have so many parts specific to right hand drive cars. I wonder how they acquire those parts? How many BMWs stolen in the UK are never found again?

Quick update on the coding front. Whilst the system works well, it consistently reports errors for the missing cameras. I have reset these using a carly obd scanner linked to carly app on phone several times. I am not unduly concerned, its just a nuisance! The check control through the idrive doesn't report any errors though. 

Hi Guys, Thanks for this awesome thread.

I saw so many successful installations and thought i should just buy the kit and have a go at it. So i did but unfortunately it did not work for me i have the module installed camera installed and connected but i am not getting any feed from the camera. Also while adding the 3AG i noticed no TRSVC module so i can say the car is not detecting the module. Any suggestions on how i should approach the troubleshooting ?

Hi Guys, it seems like the issue could be with the CAN connections, can anyone tell me how to patched the CAN bus?

what I did was identified the same colour wire on the IHKA (blue connector ) used the connector that came with the loom, placed the existing Orange cable in first slot of the connector and placed orange colour cable from the reverse camera loom and closed the connector. Did the same thing for the green cable, is this how everyone did?

Really appreciate your help guys

@AndyM I am working on retrofitting the kit from Emtronika. For some reason I am strugling to have enough of the camera cable as it is too short, and I cant find any good place to mount the ground part of the cable. Where did you do it? Any tips? I am just centimeters short from the screw as you can see on the attached photo.

6B051D99-0325-48C8-9539-25633E9ED252.png

@adams The problem is that the cable does not reach any corner. I have to throw it straight down as early as possible in the slope hoing down to the side of the car. If I dont do that, the ground does not get visible at all. 

This is a F11. Does that make the cable short? See the attached photo. I have to drop it straight down to be able to have the ground visible.

0179F5A3-19B6-4103-801C-8418F0F45D7A.jpeg

Edited by Bimmer91

Just looking at my original pictures and I definitely didn't use that grounding point. See how my camera cable disappears into the trim behind the light cluster. I'm 100% sure that there's another better placed screw that you can use. Any metal screw which touches the bodywork or chassis (or is ultimately connected to these) is fine. You can even extend one with some spade connectors and nuts & bolts if you need to.

313F3766-7F89-41AC-BAFF-2B6595A98F6A.jpeg

9 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Just looking at my original pictures and I definitely didn't use that grounding point. See how my camera cable disappears into the trim behind the light cluster. I'm 100% sure that there's another better placed screw that you can use. Any metal screw which touches the bodywork or chassis (or is ultimately connected to these) is fine. You can even extend one with some spade connectors and nuts & bolts if you need to.

313F3766-7F89-41AC-BAFF-2B6595A98F6A.jpeg

Thanks for your reply @AndyM.

I was looking at your photos aswell, and it looks like you have alot of cable since you have slided it all the way down the slope and there is a screw there which would fit. The problem for me is that if I go all the way down the slope, my grounding connection the cable will be too short and will disappear in the slope somewhere. Therefor I took the shortcut and took the cable straight down without going the full slope, but still its too short.

12 hours ago, Bimmer91 said:

@adams The problem is that the cable does not reach any corner. I have to throw it straight down as early as possible in the slope hoing down to the side of the car. If I dont do that, the ground does not get visible at all. 

This is a F11. Does that make the cable short? See the attached photo. I have to drop it straight down to be able to have the ground visible.

0179F5A3-19B6-4103-801C-8418F0F45D7A.jpeg

Sorry mate I done it on an F10 with a BMW loom so can’t help, but as Andy says I’d expect any point you can fix it to that is connected to chassis to be ok.

2 minutes ago, Bimmer91 said:

Thanks for your reply @AndyM.

I was looking at your photos aswell, and it looks like you have alot of cable since you have slided it all the way down the slope and there is a screw there which would fit. The problem for me is that if I go all the way down the slope, my grounding connection the cable will be too short and will disappear in the slope somewhere. Therefor I took the shortcut and took the cable straight down without going the full slope, but still its too short.

Does it reach the module and allow the tailgate to still close? That's the important bit. The ground connection can be extended very very easily.

59 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Does it reach the module and allow the tailgate to still close? That's the important bit. The ground connection can be extended very very easily.

Yeah, the cable to the module is no problem. It is only the grounding part which is too short.

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

Maybe there is any screw behind the plastic cover above where the grounding point on the cable is? Do you know? If yes, then I can remove the plastic cover and ground it up there somewhere. @AndyM

I asked the Emtronika guy and he said grounding is not necessary? Do you know anything regarding that? There is this other grounding cable aswell which is in brown color going with the cable to the head unit. @AndyM

If you still want to ground it, as suggested earlier, just take a short length of wire, make a loop, and use a little nut, bolt and washer to connect it to the tab. Then another loop and bolt and washer to the ground point. Use washers to stop the wire trying to wind itself round. I think it’s the screen so probably better grounded.

Edited by Boba

9 hours ago, Bimmer91 said:

Yeah, the cable to the module is no problem. It is only the grounding part which is too short.

So just extend any metal screw connected to the body/chassis. Very very easy.

7 hours ago, Bimmer91 said:

I asked the Emtronika guy and he said grounding is not necessary? Do you know anything regarding that? There is this other grounding cable aswell which is in brown color going with the cable to the head unit. @AndyM

It’s a composite video signal, an area which I do have a fair bit of knowledge in. ;) You need to ground it.

9 hours ago, Bimmer91 said:

Maybe there is any screw behind the plastic cover above where the grounding point on the cable is? Do you know? If yes, then I can remove the plastic cover and ground it up there somewhere. @AndyM

Why don’t you have a look?! :lol:

Hi guys, 

So I opened up upper trim and found good place for earth connection as there was one bolted there already.

Now everything is set up and I have FA coded 3AG and coded HU_NBT, PDC and ICM.

The UI in the iDrive have changed on reverse but there is no camera image. I have checked my fuse connection and it looks good to me as I am using 5A fuse. Everything looks good but the car is not reacting.

What should I do now?

This is the view I am getting by the way. Shouldnt this be different?

Another thing I have done is to add the connection in the fuse box to 123, and the BMW documentation says 121. Does this have anything to say?

684DE02D-9C96-48B7-89E8-2777D8B28179.jpeg

EEE83C96-ADF1-450B-A915-87DFD8AE00BA.jpeg

I doubt the fuses are the problem but I’m not an expert there. I had this issue when I retrofitted and got help externally to this site. Check this parameter: Under HU > VIDEO_WATCHDOG_REARVIEW

3 hours ago, Bimmer91 said:

Hi guys, 

So I opened up upper trim and found good place for earth connection as there was one bolted there already.

Now everything is set up and I have FA coded 3AG and coded HU_NBT, PDC and ICM.

The UI in the iDrive have changed on reverse but there is no camera image. I have checked my fuse connection and it looks good to me as I am using 5A fuse. Everything looks good but the car is not reacting.

What should I do now?

Have you diagnosed with ISTA and does it display the TRSVC module and if so are there any faults? (Assuming the Emtronika kit includes the OE module)

21 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Have you diagnosed with ISTA and does it display the TRSVC module and if so are there any faults? (Assuming the Emtronika kit includes the OE module)

@Matthew AshtonFired up ISTA and did not find the TRSVC module. I checked the faults list and I saw a huge list. Cleared them all but was left with «IHKA, K-CAN: Line fault/electrical fault» which most probably is because of the cable connection to get the power from aircondition.

Then there was this fault code related to TRSVC:

A4954F93-2A8B-4743-AE88-656C17080BBE.jpeg

Edited by Bimmer91

hello guys

i'm new here, i'm also installing the reversing camera. When I connect pin A9 to the fuse box, I find that I do not have the Z2 * 10B plug.
I ask does anyone know the reference of this connector?

thanks

InkedIMG_20210402_101646_LI.jpg

hi guys,

So I finished the installation and everything is up and running. Fired up ISTA to learn the camera and clear fault codes. Had some coding faults related to TRSVC and found out I had to inject the CAFD with ESYS. Did that and all TRSVC errors were gone.

Now I am still left with 3-4 faults and one of them is the IHKA thing which has been there since my first scan. Not sure why it is not disappearing as the CAN connection cannot be any wrong since the camera is working now.

Any tips?

E269A049-42D2-4665-B120-3CED49DF72FD.jpeg

Did you reseat the IHKA connection to make sure it’s connected properly?