AndyM

DIY retrofit reversing camera - COMPLETE

On 6/18/2019 at 11:17 PM, DeltaCosSigma said:

Hmmm, depending on whether you already have the video module or not, things might be  easy or difficult. I havent seen or read a retrofit anywhere with TV and DVD options, somebody else might be able to better guide you but here is my understanding...

<snip>

1. I think you do need a video switch.. Have a look in ESYS, what ecu’s do you get in when you query the car, not sure if the video module is classed as an ecu to be honest.. or just google BMW VIN decoder and use that. If you are unsure pm me your VIN and I can have a look. You can also remove the left side of the boot liner and confirm what is there :)

2. In my opinion OEM camera is the only way to go. You can get them between £60-£80 on ebay if you wait patiently. If you dont get an oem camera you might get errors in ISTA+ with 3AG in you FA as the camera module wont be genuine.

3. Alot of sellers on ebay are selling aftermarket wiring kits that includes the camera cable and the camera module to CIC connection cable.. The problem is in your case (see page 7 A3 - A2 ) connection needs braking and the ebay cables I have seen does have this option. Its just a straight cable. You will need to slightly tweak the cable yourself. Or source a retrofit cable that accommodates video modules. I never looked for them so cant say if they are easily available or not.

4. OP will be able to answer this one better. I think he had an F11. I havent seen a retrofit document from BMW for F11. All the versions I have seen refer to F10. My understanding though is that the location of the camera module is the same both in F10 and F11 so the cable set is the same as well. 

Thanks for your reply!

1) I've seen the VIN decoder a few times, never seen anything like a "video switch" or something like that - unless it's named something else?  I've taken a couple pictures of the area behind the left luggage flap and it looks like I don't have a video switch.

EDIT: The silver box with the fan is the TV module, and the video switch module (not present) is meant to be mounted on the two posts on the TV module bracket.

HABd1xW.thumb.jpg.5ef479e3e76b3da594652a3720232310.jpg

EDIT: below picture shows the combox.

TUxPQUg.thumb.jpg.86b184958ddc9612369a909d2974eea5.jpg

Looks like the video switch mounts on top of the TV module on the spare threaded posts?

However, reading the CIC instructions on page 17, there's a paragraph saying:

Cars with one or two video sources and without video switch only
If input 1 (PIN 18, 28, 27) on plug A42*1B, SW 40-pin socket casing, is occupied, the cables must be disconnected and connected to the next-higher free input (input 2 or 3) as follows:

It seems like the video switch is only required if there are 3 video sources already installed in the car, as the CIC unit only has 3 video inputs, thus the video switch expands the number of video inputs, as thus (from a hypothetical car, not mine):

CIC Input 1: TV
CIC Input 2: Night vision camera
CIC Input 3: DVD changer

And so there's no more inputs for the video camera, so BMW's idea is:

CIC Input 1: Video switch
CIC Input 2: Night vision camera

CIC Input 3: DVD changer

Video Switch Input 1: TV

Video Switch Input 2: Reversing Camera

As I believe as I currently only have one video source - the TV - I don't have the night vision camera or DVD changer, so I presume I can wire the reversing camera straight into the CIC's Input 1 and move the TV input into Input 2 - Page 25 seem to imply the reversing camera can only plug into Input 1, and the TV module can plug into any input.  Thus,

My car currently:
CIC Input 1: TV

CIC Input 2: empty

CIC Input 3: empty 

Proposed:

CIC Input 1: Reversing camera
CIC Input 2: TV
CIC Input 3: empty

Whether I use a video switch or not, I will have to remove the trim along the route from the boot to the CIC unit anyway.

2) OK I agree, I'm just burnt from my previous car, a 2012 Ford Mondeo, first time I ever had a reversing camera, but the factory installed camera was completely useless in environments darker than light dusk - the screen was just black with dots of lights from light sources.  Talking to other Mondeo owners turned up the same problem.  I'm hoping the BMW factory camera is better!

3) As I don't believe I need a video switch, I wouldn't need to separate A2/A3 anyway?

4) My worry is that in the instructions, on page 16, diagrams 010 0053 Z and F01 0062 Z shows the cable going through the hinge, but the F10 boot hinge is physically a lot lower than the F11 hinge, so the cable has a much shorter distance to travel from the camera to the control unit on the F10 rather than the F11?  I wonder if the lengths are different.

5) New question!  I'm also looking at upgrading my CIC to NBT (not decided yet) - if I install the reversing camera for the CIC, would I still be able to use the same system for the NBT unit, just wired slightly differently?

Many thanks for your time!

Cheers - Piers

Edited by Eddles
Updated descriptions of modules

Regarding F10 vs F11 cable length, I managed to make the cable loom I bought from Emtronika work in my F11 but it was right down to the last mm, there was no slack! The camera cable however was fine.

Looking at your pictures you don't have a video switch and yes, the bracket you have fitted is for the TRSVC module. Have a look on ebay.de for cheaper OEM cameras, mine was £57 including the handle all brand new.

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

Regarding F10 vs F11 cable length, I managed to make the cable loom I bought from Emtronika work in my F11 but it was right down to the last mm, there was no slack! The camera cable however was fine.

Looking at your pictures you don't have a video switch and yes, the bracket you have fitted is for the TRSVC module. Have a look on ebay.de for cheaper OEM cameras, mine was £57 including the handle all brand new.

Brilliant, thank you!

I presume the camera control module has the same mounting holes as the TRSVC module (I presume TRSVC = all-around vision)?

Best price I could find on ebay.de so far is £88 for brand new handle & camera.

Cheers!

TRSVC = Top Rear Side View Camera. I'm pretty sure it's called the same even if it's just got a single camera connection, they're all the same size so same mounting pattern.

Yeah that's the one.  I've brought the control box (£120), original loom with fittings (£93) the only thing I need is the camera, tailgate button and possibly the control module bracket.

For general information for those with TV module already installed - I've finally figured out the instructions on newtis.info, subsection "... with TV function" - that an amplifier is installed if you have the TV module option.  I've finally figured out that the amplifier bracket is under the plastic cover under the TV module and that the camera control module is meant to be mounted on a bracket that fits on the amplifier bracket - wasn't clear from newtis!  I've also figured out that the video switch mounts on the TV module bracket.

The below pic is from newtis.info - the box numbered "2" is the amplifier module, and the camera control module is the box next to the circle with "2" in it - the one with 5 plugs.

BWxejHPS

My car has the amplifier and amplifier bracket, but is missing the camera control module bracket.  You can see the fan in both pictures above/below - the above picture has the bracket for the camera module, but the below picture is missing the bracket.  Part number 65159174270.  I wonder if the camera control module can fit directly on the TV module bracket, but I'm not able to figure this out easily, if the video switch mounting holes are the same distance as the camera module mounting holes. I've decided to buy the bracket anyway - I like a job properly done!

IMG_20190620_002055.thumb.jpg.47caef5c1ac6571af547d8b642f80c20.jpg

Also I've figured out that the module next to the TV module in a previous picture I posted, that's the combox.

Edited by Eddles

Hey all, decided to make a start on my reversing camera retrofit.  I've fitted the tailgate button, camera and cable.  I was reading the official BMW instructions and trying to figure out the retrofit harness I ordered, and I think there's an error in the retrofit harness, can someone confirm this, or is there an alternative method used by this particular harness?  The particular bit I'm looking at is Connection A9 as referenced in the retrofitting instructions, the connection table says the A9 connection is GN/BL, and to go into socket Z2*10B PIN2 at the RR power distribution box.  However, on the harness I brought, the green/blue A9 connection leaves the harness at the head unit end, not at the camera control module end?  I laid the harness out outside the car from the rear to the front, and in the two photos at the bottom, you can see the green/blue cable is near the front wheel, and not near the rear wheel as expected?

Secondly, I'm keen on writing a detailed photographic guide on doing this retrofit and all future retrofits I do, what's the best way to do this?  Write it up in the forum, or make a PDF or something? 

Many thanks!

631804195_Screenshotfrom2019-07-0622-28-52.thumb.png.65d5bcee6c4fe4a4cafa1e04ec74cd71.png

1410003198_Screenshotfrom2019-07-0622-28-35.thumb.png.d7b668123f512a7fae8242be7dc3458f.png

1145286581_Screenshotfrom2019-07-0622-28-08.png.89d57b2ff6f667f5ef3c7e8b3ab9d9de.png

IMG_20190706_211649.thumb.jpg.acb536d8a47c26df8650ef722339618c.jpg

IMG_20190706_211726.thumb.jpg.da52154d773731f65ee14437461fa9a0.jpg

I'm sure this is the same issue that I experienced with the loom I bought and reported earlier in the thread; the power cable was loomed to the wrong end of the car. The power should come from the rear fuse box not the front. I only discovered it AFTER I had loomed it all in so wasn't going to strip it out and remove one cable so just found an ignition switched fuse in the front fuse box.

Edited by AndyM

14 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I'm sure this is the same issue that I experienced with the loom I bought and reported earlier in the thread; the power cable was loomed to the wrong end of the car. The power should come from the rear fuse box not the front. I only discovered it AFTER I had loomed it all in so wasn't going to strip it out and remove one cable so just found an ignition switched fuse in the front fuse box.

Person Facepalming on Apple iOS 12.2
I emailed the seller, he said it's meant to exit the rear part of the harness, that I have to unwind the tape and do it again.  Not sure why it was designed this way!  I might just cut it off and reattach it nearer to the back, saves me from having to unwind all of this.

1 hour ago, Eddles said:

Person Facepalming on Apple iOS 12.2
I emailed the seller, he said it's meant to exit the rear part of the harness, that I have to unwind the tape and do it again.  Not sure why it was designed this way!  I might just cut it off and reattach it nearer to the back, saves me from having to unwind all of this.

I also emailed the seller of mine and I got a partial refund. All documented in my write up!

9 hours ago, AndyM said:

I also emailed the seller of mine and I got a partial refund. All documented in my write up!

Ugh, I must have missed that, or forgotten about that, sorry, should have re-read your write-up.

Should I make this guide, or would it not be useful?  Cheers!

9 hours ago, Eddles said:

Ugh, I must have missed that, or forgotten about that, sorry, should have re-read your write-up.

Should I make this guide, or would it not be useful?  Cheers!

I don't know! I reckon as there's an official BMW retrofit guide it's already quite well documented. But a few pictures probably wouldn't go amiss - if you do want to use some of make a guide and want to use some of mine feel free.

Update: have fixed the incorrect loom, installed everything and have run the cable up to the passenger footwell.  All left to do is to route the cable to the CIC and reprogram it.  Just realised the rest of the cable is looking a bit short now, hoping there is just enough length, like you mentioned, AndyM!

23 hours ago, Eddles said:

Update: have fixed the incorrect loom, installed everything and have run the cable up to the passenger footwell.  All left to do is to route the cable to the CIC and reprogram it.  Just realised the rest of the cable is looking a bit short now, hoping there is just enough length, like you mentioned, AndyM!

If you’ve followed the same route as me, then it’s *just* long enough. 

Does anyone know where the exactly the BimmerCode retrofit cable is the green and orange cable would plug in the fem on and X3 with NBT HU. I think I have done the other wires but am stuck with this as I have 3 plugs and one is a blue one and pins 51 and 52 does not have any similar wires in it.

Hello mate thanks for the quick reply. The only wire on the wrong end is the brown ground wire which I have just grounded in the back. The problem is that I don’t know  which one is the IHKA module and the colour coding wasn’t matching my f30 instructions that I am using. Looking at the f10 instructions it seems to be going in the back of the headunit.

Lol. On a different note. After I plugged the battery back in the car, my key won’t lock the car. It starts the car but doesn’t lock it. When I first got in it came up with the message about no key and I held the key near the steering column and it started but when I get out it won’t lock the car. Any help and guidance will be much appreciated.

59 minutes ago, Neil0779 said:

Lol. On a different note. After I plugged the battery back in the car, my key won’t lock the car. It starts the car but doesn’t lock it. When I first got in it came up with the message about no key and I held the key near the steering column and it started but when I get out it won’t lock the car. Any help and guidance will be much appreciated.

Hope this helps: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-530d-tou_201007/wiring-functional-info/body/locking-security-functions3/remote-key/ring-aerial/KVhi3jaX

Update: rear view camera finally installed and working!  Hardest bit was coding the VO, had to get lots of help from Matthew Ashton, thank you yet again.

Here's the retrofitted camera in its glory.  I quite like the towbar zoom feature, now that's genius!  I continue to be impressed with my car.

IMG_20190823_203827.thumb.jpg.b31366049c5d0daa8ea64907ab0e7824.jpg

I do have a problem however, the car says "Rear view camera failure" every time the reversing camera comes on, even though it works fine?!  I've taken a picture and downloaded the error codes below.

IMG_20190823_205845.thumb.jpg.93c3432eb7a55e6ab73514b00c27b595.jpg

Park Distance Control / PDC
Fault Code: 803282
Fault Explanation: :REAR VIEW unavailable / RVC not be activated

and

Top_Rear_Side_View_Kamera
Fault Code: CA8C04
Fault Explanation: :LIN bus: Rear View Camera is not responding / Lin bus error, RV ok

Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

On a separate issue, there's a fault on the CIC saying there's no input on Input 3 when I start the TV module, which is strange as the BMW retrofit instructions says to plug the TV video wires into Input 2, and not Input 3... Odd.  I will have to move the TV video wires into Input 3 and see if it works, I'm confident it will.

Edited by Eddles

53 minutes ago, Eddles said:

Update: rear view camera finally installed and working!  Hardest bit was coding the VO, had to get lots of help from Matthew Ashton, thank you yet again.

Here's the retrofitted camera in its glory.  I quite like the towbar zoom feature, now that's genius!  I continue to be impressed with my car.

I do have a problem however, the car says "Rear view camera failure" every time the reversing camera comes on, even though it works fine?!  I've taken a picture and downloaded the error codes below.

and

Top_Rear_Side_View_Kamera
Fault Code: CA8C04
Fault Explanation: :LIN bus: Rear View Camera is not responding / Lin bus error, RV ok

Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

On a separate issue, there's a fault on the CIC saying there's no input on Input 3 when I start the TV module, which is strange as the BMW retrofit instructions says to plug the TV video wires into Input 2, and not Input 3... Odd.  I will have to move the TV video wires into Input 3 and see if it works, I'm confident it will.

Just to close the loop here, for the Rearview camera error, I suggest you need to teach-in the new camera on the TRSVC module and this can only be done using ISTA. 

15 hours ago, Eddles said:

IMG_20190823_203827.thumb.jpg.b31366049c5d0daa8ea64907ab0e7824.jpg

Now that is interesting. I wonder if my dad has that feature on his G01 which has the towbar an camera as factory fit?

Will I fit this to mine, hmmmm although I'm only 95% of the time ever hitching up to a trailer which I can lift onto the towbar.......decisions....

Thanks or sharing.

Just an update - have fixed the error by using ISTA+ by going in the service menu and get the camera to "teach-in", there is no longer an error message coming up when the camera is switched on.  Saga over.... until the next one!

Thanks to everyone for your support, the camera is a godsend!