Jump to content
AndyM

DIY retrofit reversing camera - COMPLETE

Recommended Posts

I should also mention that the Emtronika loom only just fits - like to the mm. I didn't string across corners bow & arrow style but I didn't leave any slack either.

It might be better in a saloon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AndyM said:

I should also mention that the Emtronika loom only just fits - like to the mm. I didn't string across corners bow & arrow style but I didn't leave any slack either.

It might be better in a saloon.

That's handy to know, the kit I've purchased is an OEM kit removed from an f30 so I'll need to extend some of the cabling as it is. Should be here later in the week

 

Will also be completing my RDC/tyre pressure monitoring retrofit at the same time so will attempt to take some pics of the process

 

Many thanks for such a thorough write up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, apples12 said:

That's handy to know, the kit I've purchased is an OEM kit removed from an f30 so I'll need to extend some of the cabling as it is. Should be here later in the week

 

Will also be completing my RDC/tyre pressure monitoring retrofit at the same time so will attempt to take some pics of the process

 

Many thanks for such a thorough write up

Here are the instructions from an F30; https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1230655&d=1434827579 It looks like the difference in the loom (retrofit at least) is that the CAN cables are at the back end of the car rather than the dash.

Interestingly, that document mentions the requirement to do a calibration once fitted, the F10 document doesn't...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Retset said:

Just to say congratulations! I have lurked on the thread as I have considered doing the same but now fear it may be a bit beyond me.

It's not difficult, just looks a bit destructive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the bits arrived on sat, went to work on extending the f30 loom to fit the F10 with wiring I already had laying around

 

The OEM wiring which has been pulled from an F10 also had the power wiring running with the fbas connectors towards the head unit, I removed these from the loom as I had ran my hsd/fakra cable down the right hand side of the boot hinge to have it coming out by the fuse box already there, module to be mounted just behind the cubby, power wiring can neatly go into the fuse box, all that runs to the front is the fbas to the back of the head unit and the can bus which is fabric taped to it which will tap into the ihka can bus

 

I'm now wondering where my apps module is as this may have the same can bus lines present which would mean in theory you could tap into these?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, apples12 said:

in theory you could tap into these?

Any CAN bus would do. The wires in the IHKA module loom are very easily accessible though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the power cable in the loom ended up in the wrong place I moaned to Emtronika via the eBay disputes service yesterday and they've given me a £40 partial refund of the original £94 that I paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completed mine this weekend alongside the RDC/tpms retrofit, all working as intended! Now just need to fiddle with the coding to get temps showing

 

Do you/anyone know the part number for the grey plug/socket which plugs into the back of the fuse box? This is the only part missing before I can call it a true oem-like install, that and the bracket to mount the module

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2018 at 7:04 PM, apples12 said:

Do you/anyone know the part number for the grey plug/socket which plugs into the back of the fuse box?

That must be the extra bit that I got with the Emtronika kit! It wasn't really mentioned in the instructions so presumed it was for a different model and as the power ended up at the front anyway I didn't investigate further. Can't help with the part number unfortunately and I'm planning on putting mine right at some point so will still need the one I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2018 at 16:35, AndyM said:

Programming requires E-SYS to modify the VO to add 3AG, then coding (in my case) the NBT and PDC module. Some other instructions I saw on other forums say that you need to code the TRSVC module as well, but I didn't have that option available to me.

 

The 'Rear View Camera Failure' error I was getting when activating the camera is due to the module needing calibrating using ISTA - thanks to Matthew for pointing that out to me, I wasn't aware of that part of it.

 


Just revisiting this thread to see if anyone can help with a bit of coding to get the retrofit module written into my vehicle. When doing a diagnostic scan I am getting an error which seems to indicate that the module isn't coded to the car although it is working fine. Just want to get it all made official & get rid of the error codes.

 

The error is;

Top_Rear_Side_View_Kamera
Fault Code: 800BD1
Fault Explanation: :Internal software error / Coding: uncoded control
unit
Fault Code: 800BD4
Fault Explanation: :Coding: coding does not match the vehicle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AndyM said:


Just revisiting this thread to see if anyone can help with a bit of coding to get the retrofit module written into my vehicle. When doing a diagnostic scan I am getting an error which seems to indicate that the module isn't coded to the car although it is working fine. Just want to get it all made official & get rid of the error codes.

 

The error is;

Top_Rear_Side_View_Kamera
Fault Code: 800BD1
Fault Explanation: :Internal software error / Coding: uncoded control
unit
Fault Code: 800BD4
Fault Explanation: :Coding: coding does not match the vehicle

Hi,

 

You just need to fire up esys and inject the closest CAFD

 

if you open it up in esys it will probably be greyed out/not have a cafd at all or highlighted red. 

 

this was what worked for me - i was using a used module from an f01 - it did work flawlessly with the error code but was better to complete it just to get rid of it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 12:53 AM, AndyM said:

I started installing this afternoon, but had to stop before it was all connected up as it started to rain and I was going out anyway, but so far have spent 4 hours on physical work which includes at least an hour of trying to fathom the BMW retrofit instructions which (while full of info) are unnecessarily confusing.

 

The essentials;

A77B2FF9-52BE-480C-B3FB-11B9480B1F25.thumb.jpeg.7932f9a8d5fed0acb744ad8b77d3013e.jpeg

C4D5CEC5-7914-4666-9DAC-51B53C7A88C3.thumb.jpeg.b750370b41cf11bad7e47c87f5602b98.jpeg

 

I spent far longer than expected getting to the boot release handle, mainly actually getting the trim away from inside the tailgate. I've watched videos of the retrofit on saloons and it seems easier to get the trim off than a touring, which involves four screws and six clips but is held in place by another piece of trim around the glass which I can only presume the whole car is built around as it does not come away. Actually getting the handle out is also a pain in the arse as it's held in with clips on both sides as well as top & bottom made worse by the fact that you cannot get directly to the back of it, even when the tailgate trim is off. I ended up sacrificing some of the clips on the old boot release using a gap opener from outside in order to get some leverage, but the whole thing gets replaced anyway so no big deal.

 

Cabling from the camera is relatively simple, across the tailgate to the passenger side and down through the hinge cover, there are no grommets to try and squeeze the cable or connector through, but you need to make sure that where the cable turns back and goes down the rear pillar it has enough slack to allow for the tailgate to close without snapping. From there it runs down the C pillar with some other cables, using the conveniently positioned ground and pops out behind the left hand removable boot panel.

 

I mounted the camera module behind the left of the removable boot panels, apparently there's a proper bracket that fits there but there are other fixing points available as long as you don't mind it not being stacked with the other modules. I've just cable tied it in securely for now but will get it fixed in place with some brackets once I know it's all working.

 

Running the main loom down the passenger side of the car is straightforward, from the camera module to the head unit. The loom easily pops out from the boot behind the rear seats (the seat base and side bolster just pull off) and from then you follow existing cabling, including down a tunnel past the B pillar, up at the A pillar and behind the glove box - remove this to make it easier to access - to the back of the head unit.

 

This is where I'm up to, I haven't fitted the pins into the head unit connector yet, or worked out where the power is to come from, but since the fuse box is there that shouldn't be a problem.

 

 

The confusing bit of the BMW document (attached) is where it talks about vehicles with a video switch if they have DVD, TV, Night Vision or Apps. I have Apps - I believe all LCI cars do - but how do I know if I have a video switch? And why would Apps need a video switch? I have a module already fitted behind the left boot vanity panel which has an IMEI number on the label so I believe this is the vehicle SIM but it has exactly the same connector as the camera (blue fakra) which made me think the wiring might already be in place and this was the video switch. Anyway, I spent time trying to work this bit out because it just isn't clear from the instructions what this looks like or any identifying marks.

 

Thanks to Matthew also for the coding software heads up. So far I have modified the VO to include 3AG and written the code to the PDC and NBT module and when in reverse I now get the camera options appearing on the screen although no video display as yet - will see what tomorrow brings once I've get the TRSV module recognised and coded as well.

 

I''ll do another update tomorrow, hopefully with a working camera...

BMW F10 3AG retrofit camera NBT.pdf

 

Hi mate,

 

Thanks alot of your post. You wont believe it but this seems to be the only comprehensive guide I have been able to find for UK. so much appreciated.

 

Also were you able to sort our the errors you were getting in the end (blow)

 

The error is;

Top_Rear_Side_View_Kamera
Fault Code: 800BD1
Fault Explanation: :Internal software error / Coding: uncoded control
unit
Fault Code: 800BD4
Fault Explanation: :Coding: coding does not match the vehicle

 

 

Thanks alot

Edited by DeltaCosSigma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2019 at 17:30, DeltaCosSigma said:

 

Hi mate,

 

Thanks alot of your post. You wont believe it but this seems to be the only comprehensive guide I have been able to find for UK. so much appreciated.

 

Also were you able to sort our the errors you were getting in the end (blow)

 

The error is;

Top_Rear_Side_View_Kamera
Fault Code: 800BD1
Fault Explanation: :Internal software error / Coding: uncoded control
unit
Fault Code: 800BD4
Fault Explanation: :Coding: coding does not match the vehicle

 

 

Thanks alot

I can believe it, maybe it's not a common retrofit as it can be a bit tricky, but I think it's well worth the effort. I lucked out a bit with the price of the camera module I found on Ebay which made the retrofit for me cheaper than specifying from new.

 

I haven't tried to get rid of the errors yet, they only show when doing an OBD scan, not on the dash or iDrive. I would try, but I believe there is an issue with the E-sys software currently due to the launcher expiry date. I haven't really investigated it to be honest as it doesn't make any difference to the functionality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AndyM said:

I can believe it, maybe it's not a common retrofit as it can be a bit tricky, but I think it's well worth the effort. I lucked out a bit with the price of the camera module I found on Ebay which made the retrofit for me cheaper than specifying from new.

 

I haven't tried to get rid of the errors yet, they only show when doing an OBD scan, not on the dash or iDrive. I would try, but I believe there is an issue with the E-sys software currently due to the launcher expiry date. I haven't really investigated it to be honest as it doesn't make any difference to the functionality.

 

Thats good to know, that the errors don't stop it from functioning..

 

Can I confirm, once the hardware is installed all you have to do is modify the VO and add 3AG ? what ECU's did you code.

 

There is a fix floating around for the E-Sys, somebody has written some scripts that change all you files date to 01/01/2017 which makes the launcher work as well. Let me know if you need them and I can share them. Haven't had a need to run them myself as I predated my VM to start of 2017 but I am keeping the scripts handy if I screw up something .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B) Let us know how it goes! Don't forget if you have ordered the Emtronika loom that the power cable should really be in the boot fuse box rather than the front!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AndyM said:

B) Let us know how it goes! Don't forget if you have ordered the Emtronika loom that the power cable should really be in the boot fuse box rather than the front!

 

Will definitely do. I specifically remember that point from your posts :)

 

wiring loom was received at Heathrow today. Fingers crossed hopefully should be with me in a few days now.. Might be able to give it a go over the weekend.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×