GoNz0

Inline thermostat mod to fix the gearbox heat exchanger write up.

On 12/29/2020 at 9:55 PM, GoNz0 said:

Click the gearbox icon on the control tree and bring up ECU functions

Hi Gonzo,

Out of interest what temp does yours get upto?

Was out gave it a good run to temp, and with coolant running at around 87deg the gearbox got as high as 85deg then came down.  You getting upto similar values? 

image.thumb.png.31943fb0b72b6c120e92dab9edceb8aa.png

It varies depending on the situation 60 to 90 I'd say

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

It varies depending on the situation 60 to 90 I'd say

Perfect, thank you sir.  I was being a little right footed yesterday when testing so will keep an eye on it.

Is it only Carly that can read the gearbox temp as a Bluetooth adapter?  I have a vgate and AUTODOC and it’s not got gearbox only coolant.  Just laptop battery isn’t great so only really get about an hour.

Just now, mpgscott said:

Perfect, thank you sir.  I was being a little right footed yesterday when testing so will keep an eye on it.

Is it only Carly that can read the gearbox temp as a Bluetooth adapter?  I have a vgate and AUTODOC and it’s not got gearbox only coolant.  Just laptop battery isn’t great so only really get about an hour.

BTOOL (used to be Bimmertool) I am told does it.

5 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

BTOOL (used to be Bimmertool) I am told does it.

Perfect, I had used bimmercode on the F25 I used to have so that worked with the vgate.  Will have to give it a look, thanks..

Just now, mpgscott said:

Perfect, I had used bimmercode on the F25 I used to have so that worked with the vgate.  Will have to give it a look, thanks..

Lite versions free.

Sudden drop in mpg with my 2004 E60 530d,  so as I had the parts for the thermostat mod, proceeded to get this fitted.  Temperature was always only in the low 70s.   After fitting, the mpg is instantly up to the 32-35 urban range but the temp, although improved is still only in the low 80s. (constant 86 when idling).  Should I consider changing the egr stat as well or just be thankful for small mercies?

18 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

Sudden drop in mpg with my 2004 E60 530d,  so as I had the parts for the thermostat mod, proceeded to get this fitted.  Temperature was always only in the low 70s.   After fitting, the mpg is instantly up to the 32-35 urban range but the temp, although improved is still only in the low 80s. (constant 86 when idling).  Should I consider changing the egr stat as well or just be thankful for small mercies?

Try the EGR 1st but it may be the main stat.

Had a look at the gearbox temperatures while driving and it was about 60-65C while between 70-80mph went up to 65-75C in town. Had a read through the pages so I decided to go ahead with the purchase of the thermostat. Since I don't fancy a stock stuff I googled a few alternatives. X30 thermostat came up on ebay, it looks good and it has a space for a temperature sensor but it opens at 50C  and O.D. was 35 or so mm... So just bought the febi one. 

About 30 minutes later got a phone call asking if I made a purchase and can I provide a VIN number. I said it won't be for the vag cars and he immediately said a lot of guy are buying them for the bm's...   

I am getting about 29-31 mpg at the moment. Metal transmission sump helps with cooling, but this time it cools too much. So will see how it goes when it's installed. 

I don't see the issue with your temps on the box, it doesn't work like the engine where it needs to be at the opening temp of the stat. 50 to 90 is fine.

Yeah though so as well, just the technical specs of the clutches I installed says it performs better if the fluid is hotter so 80C+. By the looks of it my heat exchanger haven't been changed so it might fail soon. No harm of installing it anyway. 

Further to carrying out the inline stat mod and suffering brain fade,  I have forgotten to remove the small Renault 5 stat from the top hose in relation to this older original modification.  Any advice as to getting this out without wrecking the hose itself?

Further to the above, a simple heating of the hose with a hair dryer enabled the stat to come out ok, a damn sight easier than when it went in.

Edited by oldjohnny
additional info.

iou people. have some questions...

so recently got a new thermostat for my 535d and eliminated the egr assembly with the necessary blanks for clearing up some space on the engine bay. the temp before was 74 max. now it sits between 88 and 92 when driving normal. when accelerating very hard goes sometimes all the way up to 96. is this normal? Also seems like it gets closer to 96 when in D and not going above 2000 rpm. never had a car to alternate the temp so much like this so I wonder if the main thermostat is not fucked closed or so.... what I see most of the time when I check is that the hose going out from the thermostat to the radiator is cold....the one going from the radiator to the engine under the intake is very hot and with some pressure on it (some said is a bit to much pressure). Also (i will double check) the skinny hose going from the rad to the gearbox cooler is hot even if the one going out from the thermostat into the rad is cold... so where the f..k comes this hot water into the rad if the hose from the thermostat is cold? and why is the exit of the rad hot when the entry of the rad is cold?

I will have to check the temp on the gearbox but not sure how. is there an app for it or is it in the hidden menu? could it be that the main thermostat is not opening due to the fact that some amount of water goes trough the gearbox cooler and bypasses the thermostat, hence the high temp when I accelerate the car harder? 

Also what is the direction of flow for the liquid in the diagram below?

Any help is much appreciated as I am freaking a bit out with these temperatures on the engine...

image.png.9276303c4f6793db19816a4549a4b764.png

On 2/20/2021 at 1:25 PM, oldjohnny said:

Further to carrying out the inline stat mod and suffering brain fade,  I have forgotten to remove the small Renault 5 stat from the top hose in relation to this older original modification.  Any advice as to getting this out without wrecking the hose itself?

Further to the above, a simple heating of the hose with a hair dryer enabled the stat to come out ok, a damn sight easier than when it went in.

When i removed mine, i just put a set of pliers in the centre and moved it to the side, came out no problem and no damage to the hose.

The flow is from the cold side, that is the left side of the rad where pipes 5 and 9 are.

32 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

The flow is from the cold side, that is the left side of the rad where pipes 5 and 9 are.

hey. and jow is the flow on the marked parts? Especially on the egr cooling and the hose which contains the return of the gearbox cooler?

I was thinking to get the return of the gearbox from that hose and rout it to the egr  entry or exit (not sure which one is it) whyich is where the number 7 is on the diagram below. is that hole for exiting or for entering? I am not sure how is the direction of the flow on the EGR cooler

image.png.eaec2f4673698219fb8a925cc073c717.png

The mod works perfect, if you want to improve on it feel free to start a new thread on it.

Pipe 8 is taking the coolant that passes through the gearbox stat and feeds it in directly behind the main stat, hence needing to do the mod as covered in the 1st post.

I'd make a brew and read the entire thread as everything has been covered with a few of us working together. It's been way back 3 years ago when it all started so there really is nothing else to add to the mod.

Edited by GoNz0

5 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

The mod works perfect, if you want to improve on it feel free to start a new thread on it.

Pipe 8 is taking the coolant that passes through the gearbox stat and feeds it in directly behind the main stat, hence needing to do the mod as covered in the 1st post.

I'd make a brew and read the entire thread as everything has been covered with a few of us working together. It's been way back 3 years ago when it all started so there really is nothing else to add to the mod.

thanks...read it... did not find anything in thge tread about the direction of the coolant flow trough the pipes