SuperDave

Bowel Cancer Awareness Month - please read

Truly shocked.

Being an aged person, The NHS keep sending me test kits, which I look at and put to one side. Not any more.

Rest in peace Dave.

I've been getting these test kits sent to me by the NHS for a couple of years now. I complete them and send them back and so far they've been all clear for which I'm thankful. The last kit was an updated version which was much easier to use than the previous ones. It's only once in a while and doesn't add much time onto however long you normally take in the toilet. A little squeemishness is understandable but everyone should try to overcome that as the consequences of leaving things unchecked are far worse.

We've been getting these kits for a few years too. We call them poo sticks. It's true they aren't much fun to use, but worth it. And without wanting to make light of this awful disease and Dave's sad death, using the kits does test your hand-eye coordination.

We have a friend, one of identical twins, whose sister was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2012. While receiving treatment she ignored the disease as much as she could and still continued to run, climb, hill walk in the Lakes and Scotland until she died in late 2017.

Her sister was naturally concerned for her own health but following tests was assured she had no sign of the disease, and there was no genetic reason for concern. In November last she too was diagnosed with bowel cancer. Cruel old world at times. 

I didn't know Dave but am very sorry to read this. I recently found myself aged 37 with three of the five symptoms on the list he posted. Following some initial tests by my GP and then a colonoscopy/endoscopy, it seems that there must be another explanation for my symptoms which I have yet to get to the bottom of, but I will openly admit the experience has terrified me. I can't imagine how Dave must have felt receiving the bad news. Just another person saying how important it is to get yourself tested ASAP if you notice something is not right, it can happen to anybody.

I've only just seen this post, my mam died from bowel cancer 3 years ago having had it for 18 months.

To help raise awareness last year I took part in the london cycle 100 and this year I'm entered for a 100k ultra marathon in the peak District and the loch ness marathon later in the year.

For those given the option of being tested then do it, if not for your own sake then for those around you

Chris

I’ve been getting “poo sticks” for several years and whilst not fun, I always do the test.  A month or so back I went to the docs and asked for a full mot as I hadn’t had any reason to go to the doctors for some years.

He took blood samples and urine and got me an X-Ray appointment.  I mentioned that every visit to the toilet in a motorway services had you staring at notices about prostate cancer, so could he check that too.

My ‘psa’ test levels came back higher than normal.  Not by much, but he said we are going to err on the side of caution and two weeks later, yesterday, saw me at the hospital for another exam and an MRI scan.  The scan itself took forty minutes! Way longer than I had always imagined, but you just close your eyes and think of something else.  I fitted a new alternator and had a new set of tyres.  They kit you out with ear plugs and headphones cos’ the racket is amazing. It’s like working a road drill while being at a rock concert.  Anyway, it’s wait and see time now.

Edited by syncrofred
Spelling

Had an MRI a couple of weeks ago.  Hospital called to say they want to keep an eye on things, nothing to panic about, and gave my a choice of another psa test, or a biopsy to be certain.  I opted for the biopsy.  They are doing it Friday morning.  I’ll let you know the results as and when.

Thanks Duncan.  It’s so easy to assume you’re ok and not bother with these tests, but they save lives.  I just wish the NHS could be more pro-active about them and not just rely on people making the running. It is a sad fact of life that we are a very “out of sight, out of mind” species.

Hi guys. I had a positive poo test here in France. Seeing the anaesthetist tomorrow and the colonoscopy on the 26th November.

A very good idea to have a colonoscopy regardless at the age of 60, and don’t forget your heart. A good check out with a Cardiologist (not GP)..blood pressure, ECG, stress test, ultra sound on heart valves plus measuring the thickness of heart walls, is a very good idea when you hit 50.

We have to look after ourselves at least as well as our cars!

Edited by Ram Rod

This thread hits home for me ... long story short, roughly may 2018 in the bath noticed a little lump near my appendix. Gave it a couple of weeks then went to GP who requested an ultrasound. That was due to be done in July. In the mean time it got bigger and I went to A and E twice who sent me home. Then over a few days I grew what looked like a chicken fillet on my stomach that felt as if it was filled with molten lava. Ambulance to hospital and emergency surgery the next day.

I had a cancerous tumour on my appendix which had burst. They took it all out and part of my bowel too. This followed by 6 months of chemotherapy ( Folfox ) which is used to treat bowel cancer as a precaution. I have regular CT scans and all have been good so far. 

My two pence worth, don't ignore any lumps or any symptoms, kick up a fuss, don't be fobbed off.

That said, the NHS were incredible, I owe my life to them.

Good to hear you are doing well Odessa. As we’ve all said, this is life saving stuff. Don’t assume it ‘ will just go away ‘.

Going through the process now. Colonoscopy a month ago with 13 biopsies taken. Sigmoidoscopy and polypectomy  for 25mm polyp two weeks ago. Awaiting the results from pathology and its a bit nerve racking. Did both procedures with no sedation. Big mistake. The polypectomy took just under 2 hours, as they lost the polyp, after snaring it off!  I had a full prostatectomy in 2007 and have yearly blood tests still. That op took over 6 hours but luckily, I had a very good boss who was happy to pay my salary for 6 months while I recovered. These subjects are too often hidden and not talked about. Great to share the journey with you guys.

Doc called from the hospital last week to say that the removed polyp was benign. I asked about the other biopsies and she said " I have no notification from pathology of any cancerous biopsies, and as they were done before the polyp,  assume that no cancer was found". That was at 8.30 am last Thursday. I had an eye appointment referral the same afternoon at the local hospital.

I was referred in March 2020 but I think they forgot at my GP's.  Unfortunately, it turns out that I have Glaucoma in both eyes. They build you up in the morning, then kick you in the nuts in the afternoon.

Yes indeed Duncan. I'll take that all day. Hopefully the glaucoma can be managed for several years.

We take eyes for granted though that's for sure. I'm needing stronger glasses for close up work these days and find myself doing stuff blind in so much as can't see so well in a dark wheel well or similar - distance is 20/20 and excellent but not seeing detail is really frustrating!

Jam jar lenses on order :(