elp

E39 540i LSD

Hi, first post so please be kind!

I've got an e39 540i manual touring and i want an lsd, as far as I can tell my options are either a quaife or an m5 diff, prop and some other output flanges.

Are there any other options?

Also, some people have said that using an m5 diff will stop the cruise control working because of the different ratio, is this the case and can it be sorted by using the m5 cruise module?

Thanks, Ed

18 minutes ago, elp said:

Hi, first post so please be kind!

I've got an e39 540i manual touring and i want an lsd, as far as I can tell my options are either a quaife or an m5 diff, prop and some other output flanges.

Are there any other options?

Also, some people have said that using an m5 diff will stop the cruise control working because of the different ratio, is this the case and can it be sorted by using the m5 cruise module?

Thanks, Ed

Wonder of MFactory do a diff for the car; if not, I'm sure they could come up with some options

I know quite a few folk that have MFactory diffs and they rate them very highly indeed

No pics at the moment I'm afraid, I'll try and get some when the weather gets better. It's a standard spec and a bit tatty so looks like any other e39!

Just had a look at the MFactory stuff, they do a helical for around £1000, I'd prefer a plate but that's just over £1400! For that much I think I'd rather try and get an m5 diff sorted.

There's also Wavetrac and if money's no object OS Gilken.

V8Warrior fitted an E36 M3 Evo diff to his with minimal modifications :- 

I have a mate that has a 540i with an M5 diff and the cruise control works perfectly.

On 4/6/2018 at 6:12 PM, elp said:

......It's a standard spec and a bit tatty so looks like any other e39!.....

Yet it has a 4.4 v8 and a six speed manual box, that's awesome in my book! 8)

An update to this.

I've fitted an m5 diff (using an m5 prop and e36 m3 evo drive flanges) which bolts together nicely.

However my cruise control now doesn't work in 5th/6th gears. I've found a couple of old forum posts where people have sorted this by doing some software mods. Has anyone got any more info?

Thanks

1 hour ago, elp said:

An update to this.

I've fitted an m5 diff (using an m5 prop and e36 m3 evo drive flanges) which bolts together nicely.

However my cruise control now doesn't work in 5th/6th gears. I've found a couple of old forum posts where people have sorted this by doing some software mods. Has anyone got any more info?

Thanks

Speak to Enda at end tuning he sorted this for me when I fitted an lad. My car is a later vanos engine, not sure if you he's done a non vanos one 

45 minutes ago, AdamB said:

Does anyone know what ratio diff the 540i touring manual (6speed) has?

Does it not tell you on RealOEM?

6 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Does it not tell you on RealOEM?

It says 2.81, but I read somewhere sport

models were fitted with 3.15

also, my car being a proper factory sport touring 540i (and therefore v. Limited amounts made), I’ve found a few discrepancies on realoem before... (mostly relating to it not being listed as a sport)

do you reckon this info might be on the build sheet if I can find it under the seat?

23 minutes ago, AdamB said:

It says 2.81, but I read somewhere sport

models were fitted with 3.15

also, my car being a proper factory sport touring 540i (and therefore v. Limited amounts made), I’ve found a few discrepancies on realoem before... (mostly relating to it not being listed as a sport)

do you reckon this info might be on the build sheet if I can find it under the seat?

I'd say it's 3.15:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Driveline-Shifter/Differentials-Accessories/E39-540i-Custom-Performance-Differential.html#:~:text=The 540i was offered with,as a stock E39 M5).

I could be wrong, but i think all UK manual 540s would be a 2.81. Autos are a 3.15, then some late manual 540 sports in the US had a 3.15.

Would be interesting to find out for sure though

3 minutes ago, elp said:

I could be wrong, but i think all UK manual 540s would be a 2.81. Autos are a 3.15, then some late manual 540 sports in the US had a 3.15.

Would be interesting to find out for sure though

Well that link I put up states that the 540i uses the same 3.15 gearing as the M5, and that's manual; so would assume it's the same... But obviously we all know where assumptions can lead :lol: 

On 16/05/2021 at 08:45, AdamB said:

Does anyone know what ratio diff the 540i touring manual (6speed) has?

Enter your VIN number into this;

https://www.mdecoder.com

If you have option S204A somewhere on the list you have a 3.15 diff, if it's not there you'll have the standard 2.81 diff. From what I could gather when I've looked into this it was only late '03 onwards sport models in the USA that got the 3.15 diff (still an open diff, not LSD as per the M5) as standard, it was an optional extra in all other markets and not many people ticked that box by all accounts. I know that my auto 540i has a 2.81 diff because I measured it once when I had the car in the air. :)

Random fact; The 3.0 diesel uses the same 2.81 diff as the 540i.