sams255

Brake warning light F11

I was driving on the motorway when all of a sudden warning light in red saying drive moderately brake system something or other you need pads. I pulled over to take a look and it appears that my rear pads are low maybe2-3mm. But i cant see the inner pads to see what condition they are in. 

On the I drive it says rear brakes need doing in 8000 miles or is that refering to the discs. I can only assume that the sensor wire has been activated. The dealer wants 170 for pads all in and if i need discs and pads i think its 300 all in. How many mm should my discs have on them so its just a pad change. 

Edited by sams255

2-3 mm friction material on your pads means they are due for a change. Wear indicator will warn at 3.7mm pad friction.

Sometimes the minimum disc thickness is marked on the disc.

Without knowing what flavour of F11 you drive (brake disc size varies with engine output) it's tricky to tell but you will get that info from newtis.

A quick look on newtis suggests the maximum wear on rear discs for mine is 2.4 mm from original thickness.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/repair-manuals/34-brakes/34-21-rear-wheel-brakes/HNtxI062

From this you can see my rear brake discs are scrap when they get to 22.4 mm thickness. This also tells you when its acceptable to only change pads without doing discs too.

45 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

2-3 mm friction material on your pads means they are due for a change. Wear indicator will warn at 3.7mm pad friction.

Sometimes the minimum disc thickness is marked on the disc.

Without knowing what flavour of F11 you drive (brake disc size varies with engine output) it's tricky to tell but you will get that info from newtis.

A quick look on newtis suggests the maximum wear on rear discs for mine is 2.4 mm from original thickness.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/repair-manuals/34-brakes/34-21-rear-wheel-brakes/HNtxI062

From this you can see my rear brake discs are scrap when they get to 22.4 mm thickness. This also tells you when its acceptable to only change pads without doing discs too.

mines a 530D

2 hours ago, sams255 said:

mines a 530D

Same as mine - Rear disc 330 x 20 out of the box with an allowable thickness of 18.4 based on the 1.6 which is probably the min thickness scribed into the disc itself. or 17.6 if you go by ISTA / NewTIS - I would not let them get that thin though.

The iDrive can only determine when the pads have worn, not the disc.

16 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Same as mine - Rear disc 330 x 20 out of the box with an allowable thickness of 18.4 based on the 1.6 which is probably the min thickness scribed into the disc itself. or 17.6 if you go by ISTA / NewTIS - I would not let them get that thin though.

The iDrive can only determine when the pads have worn, not the disc.

My I drive is still telling me there is 8000 miles left on rear pads  even though i got the red triangle and warning lights telling me to drive moderately 

1 hour ago, sams255 said:

My I drive is still telling me there is 8000 miles left on rear pads  even though i got the red triangle and warning lights telling me to drive moderately 

That is weird. I'd get the pads (and discs if necessary) replaced and once the brake wear indicator is reset, just keep a close eye on it.

im doing to the dealer tomorrow to get the pads changed. They said they will check if the discs need doing then i will do pads and discs together if required. I got to get it done asap as im got my appointment with ZF on friday, So i dont wanna be metal to metal on some autobhan.

Even BMW themselves don't look too closely at what the idrive is saying. My E60 had 40k remaining on the rear brake pads according to the idrive when BMW told me the rear pads were wearing and needed replaced. Local trusted Indy a few months later said same thing even though idrive was saying 39k remaining. I then replaced them myself.

Go with what friction material is left on the pads, not what a computer screen is saying.

I had them replaced today there was just about 3mm left on there. So Snows BMW replaced the pads but discs are in good order so no need to change them. Cost £161.10. 

i'm going to europe tomorrow so i didnt wanna be a cheapstake and then suddenly find i need to change discs too.

7 hours ago, sams255 said:

I had them replaced today there was just about 3mm left on there. So Snows BMW replaced the pads but discs are in good order so no need to change them. Cost £161.10. 

i'm going to europe tomorrow so i didnt wanna be a cheapstake and then suddenly find i need to change discs too.

Good stuff and not a bad price. Glad it's sorted.

I had the same message then checked pads on the idrive.  Fronts saying 10k and rears 30k+. Confused + really don't know if  anything needs changing and, if so, what.

Almost every brake warning I've ever had with idrive has been spurious :???:

IMG_20190804_122042.thumb.jpg.eba20ebf3d964803678d83cc178efaf3.jpgIMG_20190804_122103.thumb.jpg.b50f7e937c1957b0ade8a4d1937a63e5.jpg

IMG_20190804_122111.thumb.jpg.f29ee766c8343685b5d926079a84a969.jpg

33 minutes ago, cabby said:

I had the same message then checked pads on the idrive.  Fronts saying 10k and rears 30k+. Confused + really don't know if  anything needs changing and, if so, what.

You need to visually check your brake pad thickness front and rear to be sure. 

When you are checking the pad thickness, make sure the pad wear sensor wiring is intact and they are securely plugged it. One per axle and they are diagonally opposite each other.  Front nearside and rear offside.

4 hours ago, cabby said:

Thanks chaps - will ask the garage to have a look to see what is actually happening. 

Kiwkfit do a free brake check. With the wheels off and measure pads etc. Just go there and get it checked for free.  Im sure there is a few mm on there even witht he warning light on

6 minutes ago, sams255 said:

Kiwkfit do a free brake check. With the wheels off and measure pads etc. Just go there and get it checked for free.  Im sure there is a few mm on there even witht he warning light on

And check that they set the correct torque on the wheel bolts. I’ve never ever seen them change their torque wrench setting.

On 05/08/2019 at 18:10, 535i Andrew said:

Do not go to Kwik Fit.

They will try and sell you stuff you do not need. 

Puncture repair on a Sunday afternoon and that's the only reason to ever take a car to Kwik Fit. 

You don't have to buy anything from there just get your brakes checked for free and ask to watch while they do it, that way you get to inspect all your pads easily on a ramp and you won't have to pay a penny.

On 04/08/2019 at 20:30, cabby said:

Car went into dealer today + faulty sensor diagnosed.  Another 10k on the pads apparently.  Sensor changed for £58. :) 

If pads and sensors the dealer (Stephen James Bexley)  would have charged £235 to do the fronts.  Rears would have been about £180.

39 minutes ago, mitchgixer6 said:

Glad you got it sorted. Those prices for pads though! :shock::shock:

Are folk actually paying that with the dealers? I did my rear discs/pads/sensors for about £120 with genuine parts (off ebay). 

Presumably.

Brake-service-price.jpg

I would do it myself. I did my front discs and pads with genuine parts for over £200-£250 less than the price ticked above. But not everyone likes messing with stuff like that or has a 9 mm Allen key bit for undoin the caliper slide bolts.

Your price is very cheap. My E60 rear value line pads and wear sensor was £50, discs were more than £35 each though.

It is very satisfying to do it yourself though.

Definitely worthwhile doing yourself if you can. I've an E61 which requires a 7mm Allen bit. Bought from Halfords for £6 which also got me a £10 MOT! :grin:

If you can't do it yourself definitely worthwhile shopping about for OEM spec parts (ATE I think) and finding a good indy to fit for you. Would save a fortune on BMW prices.