memyself

Hit & Run Help !

My wife was involved in a hit and run accident on Monday. Was wondering if anyone has any tips about how I could possibly trace the driver or the car.

In short she was T-bonned by a guy in a Peugeot 106 /206 who stopped after the accident but as she approached the car he drove off, he was too far away to get the reg. There is only one road through our small town and this leads to a junctions on the M40, so I've asked the investigating police officer to check Highways Agency footage for any cars joining the motorway at this time with a wrecked front end. 

Her car isn't worth all that much but she's owned it from new, it's been well looked after and maintained and has very low mileage, with the damage to two doors, rear quarter panel and sill it'll probably be a write-off. 

Any suggestions about what might be the best course of action gratefully received.

Without a registration I'm afraid you are stuffed. The Police can put up an appeal for witnesses notice (the yellow "Did you see anything" type of thing) but unless a witness comes forward who managed to get the number then there is nothing anyone can do.

If she is fully comp claim on your insurance and hopefully get the car repaired.

1 hour ago, dj1233 said:

See if you can process a claim through the Motor Insurance Bureau https://www.mib.org.uk/  as it's a hit & run/non fault. You pay into this pot when you buy insurance . .  .

Unfortunately if you are insured fully comp the MIB won't help at all with the car claim. They will only get involved if you are 3rd party or there is an injury claim. The MIB was set up by government and unfortunately this is the way they set it up.

Mate that is terrible luck, hope she is ok. 

The damage might at least be clear as to the lack of fault which some insurers might treat as a not fault claim if they're bring sympathetic . Makes me rethink the dashcam idea again.