BacktoBeemer

Time to Change the Company Car

On 13/03/2019 at 16:54, sjak92 said:

certinely worth then premium over a 540i and so much more conoeteive than an M5. Not sure that the extra 150bhp or so is worth a £28k +/- premium 

My dealer would agree - apparently deliberately kept the launch back to sell as many M5s as possible, and why they had so many M5s on deep discount last few months before they launched it. Which seemed to be doing the trick as there were 4 M5s being collected on Saturday while I was there!

1 hour ago, G Whizz said:

I took the new X5 out on Saturday - very nice indeed. Obviously not an apples and pears comparison, but certainly is in terms of luxury and comfort I think. One thing I'd have to get used to is the "wafting" - air suspension means the ride is a little wallowy at times (though didn't get chance to see if I can alter).

Hoping the LCI G30 (is that the right term ....?) has the new dash - very nice indeed. The centre console now looks less like an ipad glued in as an afterthought, and is tilted towards the driver - makes a big difference. How you can lay it out is very clever too. And the dashboard itself is wonderful. Didn't get chance to see how it can be configured but the map underneath the dials seamlessly looks great imho. A large step up from the current iDrive.

Highly doubtful that it will get an entire new dash. The 7 didnt and thats a flagship car. Would be very expensive to re develop the entire interior of the car for a LCI and probably not worthwhile for what would be effectivley a 3/3.5 year sale period before being replaced with an all new model.

Look at the old F10 as an example. Released in 2010 witha interior resebmbling that of the F01 7 Series. BMW then redisigned ienterior with the floating tablet styel screen in the new F30 in 2012 and followed with the X5 in 2014. The tablet style screen did not tricle down into the LCI at all.

1 hour ago, G Whizz said:

Thanks! Oh well!

What kind of things typically appear on an LCI then? Just minor cosmetic tweaks then?

Yep pretty much - expect the new drivers display layout like on the new 3 / Z4 etc, latest iDrive software, some other minor cosmetic tweaks inside and that’s about it. 

Wheels have had a 'spring clean' it has been a few weeks and they were rally caked in brake dust and road grime.....22949177_YPP1MLdBSe6Ut1Ek1Eepg.thumb.jpg.6dfb2b1072c8155c9071e468c06dc413.jpgAum5YY0iRsO8sQsYPdLQcg.thumb.jpg.b0aef24630398a3adb0fcaf3350f15ad.jpgC7845FC0-9A5A-4096-9D21-551857844404.thumb.jpg.0f4939e0602b97e0b8d4c2fa55b1a476.jpg5F5F9992-F962-4396-8C86-0E2766517310.thumb.jpg.6d72ccda9c224f5a864b101e763b3c7e.jpg59F514E5-3AA0-482E-AECE-019C46ABD1AE.thumb.jpg.3df5e3795984efe345d88f7490fc6731.jpg

It appears the M550i is due to by launched in the UK in 2020, some car that will be, certainly in the  reckoning next time around.....

7 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

It appears the M550i is due to by launched in the UK in 2020, some car that will be, certainly in the  reckoning next time around.....

.....as a company car??

Oh yes if the assumed puchase price (£75k) is correct it’s not much more than my current ‘well equipped’ 540i :rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

No sure it will only be circa £75k however.....

No chance it will be that high, they would NEVER sell. 

The M5 residuals have dropped so immensely due to BMW cock up and pricing the M5CP at only £5/6k more that the M550i cannot be a mere £15k less.

I say the M550i will be circa £64/£66k. As an M Lite car the options will be slightly different too as adding normal packs based on a normal G30 would take it just under an M5 which has all of that stuff as standard more or less.

Also, offers on M5’s are so outstanding these days that BNW wouldn’t be releasing an M550i in the UK if it wasn’t much cheaper. You can get a £20k contrib on a normal M5 as an advertised deal with  Sytner 

On 13/04/2019 at 23:53, sjak92 said:

No chance it will be that high, they would NEVER sell. 

The M5 residuals have dropped so immensely due to BMW cock up and pricing the M5CP at only £5/6k more that the M550i cannot be a mere £15k less.

I say the M550i will be circa £64/£66k. As an M Lite car the options will be slightly different too as adding normal packs based on a normal G30 would take it just under an M5 which has all of that stuff as standard more or less.

Also, offers on M5’s are so outstanding these days that BNW wouldn’t be releasing an M550i in the UK if it wasn’t much cheaper. You can get a £20k contrib on a normal M5 as an advertised deal with  Sytner 

So what do you think it will be then - £65k ish - good value at that.......

12 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

So what do you think it will be then - £65k ish - good value at that.......

On the continent the 550i seems to be between 14k and 17k more than the 540i so the £66-£70k price mark would make sense 

On 16/04/2019 at 12:17, sjak92 said:

On the continent the 550i seems to be between 14k and 17k more than the 540i so the £66-£70k price mark would make sense 

Fair enough, makes it a rather attractive option IMO.

Following a bit of a gastric bug the other half drove mine for the first time on a long run yesterday - well 160 miles - she's now suggesting she rather likes it and its not as big to drive as she thought. Problem is she's now considering the BMW 220i instead of the Golf - just my luck lol......

If I’m honest I dislike the ‘look’ of the 1 Series whereas as the 2 looks ok. What in your mind makes the 1 a better option? 

On 15/05/2019 at 21:39, BacktoBeemer said:

If I’m honest I dislike the ‘look’ of the 1 Series whereas as the 2 looks ok. What in your mind makes the 1 a better option? 

I was in a 218d for 6 months before getting my G30, and also had the very first of the F20 breed of 1 series, again 18d and both manual.

They're both exactly the same car really, but the 1 is more practical. Both not particularly comfortable ride wise and both look very dated inside now, and will be replaced next year. 

I would have neither again!

On 15/05/2019 at 21:39, BacktoBeemer said:

I’m the exact opposite, think the 2 series looks weird from the front with the differing air intakes (although this could be limited to the M40i cars) and the back looks horrid. 

The 1 Series in good trim and colour options wearing M Sport kit looks really nice imo. It’s more practical (especially as a 5 door) and if you really want to treat the wife (and yourself from time to time) get a M140i whilst you can. Cracking deals and discounts/Shadow Edition upgrades at the moment and they’re about to stop production.

no better bang for buck BMW you can buy. Truly epic car and ownership can be as cheap as a 20i/d car. Running obviously a little more.