BacktoBeemer

Time to Change the Company Car

35 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Is that directed at me?

Don’t be such a plank - did you mention leasing?

It was actually a response to @bmwf113.0d‘s earlier comment regarding ease of leasing.

35 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Yes mate, I roll around in an "expensive car" that I lease. To top it off im just completing on another property purchase in London. To make matters even worse I have a few investment properties in the midlands rented out to students. Must say im doing pretty shite for a 26 year old :(

Oh wow! Pick up your dummy and wipe it please ;)

Since we’re comparing cock sizes (and most folk here have pretty generous ones) I own outright a residential property leasing company with a shade under £12m in assets so you’ve a bit to go yet, although admittedly you’ve got 50 years to do it.

now behave! :lol:

1 hour ago, CFD said:

in the 80's the average house price was ~20k compared with ~210k today. Even adjusted for inflation, the ~20k is still only ~95k.

I predate that that a bit - my first house cost £1200 and I still own it :lol:

1 hour ago, CFD said:

Not convinced the state of our housing market is funny but I get what you are saying.

No, you are right - mainly byproducts of government policies and BoE rates/QE lunacy, fiscal decisions which will have after effects way down the line!

Edited by Boba

5 minutes ago, Boba said:

I predate that that a bit - my first house cost £1200 and I still own it :lol:

Say it all. Apparently we're the lucky generation too.

@BacktoBeemer sorry for hijacking your thread with nonesense. All I said was I like the idea of a 745e :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Yes, times change.

i suppose what I was really thinking is that while I was in my 20s I ran around on a BSA B31 350cc bike which cost me about £5 on a weekly wage of under £10 whilst today I’d as likely run a car costing £20k but on a lease payment which hit my ability to save for a deposit. Lots of peer pressure of course plus the obvious short term attractions.

Sorry, sorry, sorry!! Hobby horse y’know. :lol:

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Surely can't be a BMW - the big grill would scare you away

No, not a BMW, could have had one but chose not to,  nothing to do with the grilles as it's only the very latest models that look shite. 

3 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Is that directed at me?

Yes mate, I roll around in an "expensive car" that I lease. To top it off im just completing on another property purchase in London. To make matters even worse I have a few investment properties in the midlands rented out to students. Must say im doing pretty shite for a 26 year old :(

please continue rolling on the floor and laughing

You do come across as a pretentious little prick.

2 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

You do come across as a pretentious little prick.

Only towards people who I share the same opinion of. Enjoy :)

Edited by sjak92

Yes, let’s move on.

M550i seems a cracking car. Apparently will start from £64k here and if the kit levels are as generous as with other M Performace models will be a cracking deal!

certinely worth then premium over a 540i and so much more conoeteive than an M5. Not sure that the extra 150bhp or so is worth a £28k +/- premium 

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:04, BacktoBeemer said:

@Chris Margetts

@sjak92

@Johnyboy

@Carrman2018

@carrman

@Andrew530dmsport

@Boba

@Back2Beemer

@Monkeyfinger

@AdamBell

@dewidaniels

@Steveo1

@BRB

@Bluemoon68

@Coops

@Hybrid5

@Carrera77

@G Whizz

@Hudds.taz 

Thoughts on next vehicle - so as you have all owned 5 Series is it stick or twist next time - which if any alternatives would you consider.....

its about 14 mths away but definitely a 5 series touring. This is a very good car. The E series looks to baroque for my taste (especially the dashboard) and the Audi too clinical

There are some updates / options  I would like  - like key fob motion detector , ACC etc. But those are more like indulgences and dont really add that much 

Diesel or petrol I dunno. Diesel has been really solid so far despite all the bad press

21 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

its about 14 mths away but definitely a 5 series touring. This is a very good car. The E series looks to baroque for my taste (especially the dashboard) and the Audi too clinical

There are some updates / options  I would like  - like key fob motion detector , ACC etc. But those are more like indulgences and dont really add that much 

Diesel or petrol I dunno. Diesel has been really solid so far despite all the bad press

ACC is probably the only option on my car that I would insist on having in the future.

3 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Yes, let’s move on.

M550i seems a cracking car. Apparently will start from £64k here and if the kit levels are as generous as with other M Performace models will be a cracking deal!

certinely worth then premium over a 540i and so much more conoeteive than an M5. Not sure that the extra 150bhp or so is worth a £28k +/- premium 

100% agree with this. I said the same about the M850i - 530hp (and I can’t remeber how much torque), kind of renders the forthcoming M8 a bit pointless for every day road use. 98% of the time the “M-lite” will be all the car you’d ever want. 

I wonder if Alpina will have their way with the 8...now that would be something! 

36 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

ACC is probably the only option on my car that I would insist on having in the future.

I miss this SO much, and adaptive lane assist - my previous car had both and I wish I still had them. Will be on the next car I order for sure. 

1 hour ago, Back2Beemer said:

100% agree with this. I said the same about the M850i - 530hp (and I can’t remeber how much torque), kind of renders the forthcoming M8 a bit pointless for every day road use. 98% of the time the “M-lite” will be all the car you’d ever want. 

If the prices are reasonable then it really is all the car you ever need. 

On top of that a JB4 (which I think some have on their 540i’s here) perks the car up to around 520bhp and 620ft-lb tourqe!

That will easily out pace and F10 M5 thanks to the X Drive

imagine one in a touring. Perfection

@sjak92 Yeah, JB4’s are really popular in the BMW & VW tuning world, and get some really good results.

@SuperDave From the back I’d agree, but I think it does look a lot more menacing from the front, especially in the right colour. If it was my money going on that sort of car, it would be the Alpina B5, which is probably even more understated...but that’s half the fun I think! 

14 hours ago, sjak92 said:

@BacktoBeemer sorry for hijacking your thread with nonesense. All I said was I like the idea of a 745e :ph34r:

No apology needed. The 745e is a great motor. 

That said it is a shame that a number of individuals on here want to brag and show boat about their income and perceived social standing. There are plenty of other sites to do that on, fuck off and do it there let’s stick to the car stuff on this one.....

For the avoidance of doubt that is aimed at anyone who could wear that cap.....

15 hours ago, Boba said:

Don’t be such a plank - did you mention leasing?

It was actually a response to @bmwf113.0d‘s earlier comment regarding ease of leasing.

Oh wow! Pick up your dummy and wipe it please ;)

Since we’re comparing cock sizes (and most folk here have pretty generous ones) I own outright a residential property leasing company with a shade under £12m in assets so you’ve a bit to go yet, although admittedly you’ve got 50 years to do it.

now behave! :lol:

£12m in assets and you are driving a 520d - couple of thoughts 

1 Live a little - buy yourself something that will give you a buzz to drive, the 520 is a great car but not for someone with £20m of assets.

2 You’ve suggested a 26 yr old bloke on here has a few years to catch you - I’d suggest with you years of life experience you should know better. 

Anyway lets get get back to cars and drop the cock waving bollocks behaviour........

Edited by BacktoBeemer

I have 530e...so far, no suitable replacement in view from BMW. I'm thinking full electric next time, so I guess I just have to wait for a bigger i3 to appear. I'm definitely sold on the electric side of things, and it works so well for my daily driving and being able to charge at work. I'm glad I've finally (at 54) worked the noisy fast car nonsense out of my system, but still appreciate them. Of course I may still have a certain Coventry machine in my garage awaiting finishing, which will satisfy any lingering urges to wave a willy...

46 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

noisy fast car nonsense 

the engine isn't noisy on mine - I dont think its noisy on any 5 series. The biggest source of noise is probably the road 

ICE engines have closed much of that gap with electric motors - they are smooth, silent, powerful.  I drove a 118i for a couple of days (the 3 cylinder version) and it was exceptionally quiet and smooth, though it did start with huge jerk. I think thats before the counterbalance shafts kick in 

Agree...just making a small point and stereotyping fast cars!. Don't agree on the electric comparison. The 2 litre petrol turbo in the 530e is also smooth but you sure as hell notice the difference when using the electric. It's just so much nicer in low speed situations, and unfortunately that's where I spend most of my time. Of course,  that won't apply for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Monkeyfinger said:

I have 530e...so far, no suitable replacement in view from BMW. I'm thinking full electric next time, so I guess I just have to wait for a bigger i3 to appear. I'm definitely sold on the electric side of things, and it works so well for my daily driving and being able to charge at work. I'm glad I've finally (at 54) worked the noisy fast car nonsense out of my system, but still appreciate them. Of course I may still have a certain Coventry machine in my garage awaiting finishing, which will satisfy any lingering urges to wave a willy...

I recall us having a debate over the whole "BIK machine for a private individual" but must say, that in my current situation, a hybrid with around 30 miles range would be absolutely perfect for me  considering my daily commute needs. The added bonus on the upcoming 745e is that it has a 6 pot B58 mated to the electric motor and just shy of 400bhp. I'm very much looking forward to driving that as my expectation is that it will be rapid off the line but also frugal if need be (for my needs anyway).

On top of that, despite being a big advocate for diesel engines, i really hate this fear mongering from the govt so think petrol will be the way next time round.

I took the new X5 out on Saturday - very nice indeed. Obviously not an apples and pears comparison, but certainly is in terms of luxury and comfort I think. One thing I'd have to get used to is the "wafting" - air suspension means the ride is a little wallowy at times (though didn't get chance to see if I can alter).

Hoping the LCI G30 (is that the right term ....?) has the new dash - very nice indeed. The centre console now looks less like an ipad glued in as an afterthought, and is tilted towards the driver - makes a big difference. How you can lay it out is very clever too. And the dashboard itself is wonderful. Didn't get chance to see how it can be configured but the map underneath the dials seamlessly looks great imho. A large step up from the current iDrive.