Modge

Remove armrest phone cradle E60 LCI

Does anyone know a simple clean way to remove the phone cradle from the centre armrest? It just takes up space and I want rid of it!!  

Was also thinking would it be possible to tap the power it was using to fit another USB power point inside the armrest as mine doesn't have the factory fit USB option.

Hi

You need to remove all the fixings for the centre console, then raise it up in situ approx 6 inches to gain access to the 3 torx screws that hold the storage liner, pull the whole lot in one piece and your done.

What are you planing to do with the USB, if you don't have one fitted as standard you will need to upgrade and retro-fit a MULF2 high module first.

Edited by Misterbish

Hi guys, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of removing the whole console just to get rid of the cradle so I went with a brute force option!! I levered out one side with a trim removal tool and popped out the hinge on the other side just slid out no probs. I then just opened the back panel disconnected the cables and pulled them through, 2 mins, job done, no mess, no fuss!!

@Misterbish, I was just wanting to install another USB purely as a charging point in the armrest to charge my phone out of sight, but in all honesty I think running a spur off one of the 12v sockets on the back of the centre console is probably much easier than trying to jury rig the phone cradle wiring but that's a job for another day!  I'm not fussed about getting a MULF2 for connectivity through the USB as I'm about to install an android head unit so will have full usb connectivity through that.  

Edited by Modge
Spelling correction

On 16/02/2018 at 12:03 PM, Modge said:

Hi guys, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of removing the whole console just to get rid of the cradle so I went with a brute force option!! I levered out one side with a trim removal tool and popped out the hinge on the other side just slid out no probs. I then just opened the back panel disconnected the cables and pulled them through, 2 mins, job done, no mess, no fuss!!

Exactly the way I did it

48 minutes ago, Deviant said:

What head unit are you looking at? 

This one.  Seems to be the only UK supplier I can find, should get it in the next couple of weeks, will let you know how I get on with it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282741232967

2 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Ooh, that's not bad. I keep looking at these but they're always nearer £600. 

And please, let us know what you think. 

Yeah I have been scouring the net looking for the best deals, this one is not only the cheapest but is a UK supplier.  Only downside is that it only has 1 USB port, I would have preferred 2 as Im putting in a DAB adapter and I would like a spare slot for a USB stick with music but I can just use the SD card slot instead!! The company seem decent I have been speaking with them to make sure it is definitely compatible as there seem to be a few variants of these units with subtle differences.  Anyway going to take the plunge post payday I think!!

I have a chinesium android head unit in my E46. Every time you turn it on, the sd card has vanished from it's memory and you have to eject it and reinsert it for it to find the mp3s. 

The slot is now buggered thanks to how often I've needed to do it and I'm now using the gps slot. I'd want a second usb port.  

7 minutes ago, Deviant said:

I have a chinesium android head unit in my E46. Every time you turn it on, the sd card has vanished from it's memory and you have to eject it and reinsert it for it to find the mp3s. 

The slot is now buggered thanks to how often I've needed to do it and I'm now using the gps slot. I'd want a second usb port.  

That's not so good.  The only ones I have found with multiple USB slots are sadly all from foreign suppliers and a good bit more expensive.  I'm wondering if a 2 port USB hub would possibly work?  It is a fairly old version of android it runs so I don't know.

I would definitely take DAB over a USB stick of music given the choice though.

Just out of curiosity how well does the IDrive controller in the centre console work for navigating the menus etc on yours??

It's on my E46, it doesn't have one. That head unit in the video you posted in the other thread, the guy want's $750 for.  I couldn't justify it for that money.

You could always stream the mp3s over bluetooth from your phone or some other device. 

4 minutes ago, Deviant said:

It's on my E46, it doesn't have one. That head unit in the video you posted in the other thread, the guy want's $750 for.  I couldn't justify it for that money.

You could always stream the mp3s over bluetooth from your phone or some other device. 

4 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Ah sorry I missed where you said E46!  Yeah the one at $750 usd was one of the earlier ones I looked at, it certainly is a bit steep. From what I can tell the vast majority of these units all seem to be the same (or very similar) spec with the same interface but just by different companies.  The one in the post above is appealing as its UK based company so no chance of import tax, easier to get support or do a return etc if needed.

Suppose bluetooth streaming is an option but I just prefer a memory card or a USB, I don't generally keep the music on my phone too current!!

Me too, but if you only have one USB port and the DAB adaptor needs it...   How much are they?

I saw a head unit like this the other day, started off reasonable, and then the options list took it stupid levels. 

13 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Me too, but if you only have one USB port and the DAB adaptor needs it...   How much are they?

I saw a head unit like this the other day, started off reasonable, and then the options list took it stupid levels. 

The DAB adapter and aerial from the same place that does the head unit is £50 but you can get them elsewhere for £30ish.

21 minutes ago, Deviant said:

That's not bad. Dual usb would be nice though. 

Actually got me thinking, just did a bit of digging, and found the gizmo at the link below. Looks like it acts as a USB hub for anything running android 4 or above so should be good for this, would just need a micro USB to USB A adapter.

Approx USB 2.0 4 Port Hub for Tablets - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EUZN6MA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_vmDJAbB8DFV1B

Edited by Modge
Link added