falcodub

Bargain estate cars. Talk to me

2 hours ago, falcodub said:

That’s a shame. Looks nice

It sure is and I would have kept it for a few years more but was offered the BM at a great price and well looked after...the mondeo that's been mentioned is a no brainer but models/years spoken about had inherent design issues with injectors and DMF and EGR. But if your lucky and the car has been looked after your onto a good thing for a period of time...

Edited by RightHandGoose
missing word

On 10/02/2018 at 3:42 PM, welshpug said:

another one to throw into the mix, VW touran 1.9 tdi,  they're all 6 speed if manual and have lots of toys, most are 104 bhp engines, but an MPV is never about speed, 

Unless you go for the 2.0 TDI 170

I've got an old Passat I use to transport my mountain bikes. It was £2.5k about three years ago, I've put nearly 80k on it, now at 160k and going strong. I'd definitely have another. It's no BMW but it's well put together and cheap to maintain. 

This website it worth a look. It's about a guy who used to buy expensive cars and bought a 2002 Rover 75 (with the BMW 2.0d engine) and it changed his whole perception of cars and their worth. He works a a film lighting technician and drives all over the country, he's up to 250k miles on the Rover 75 and still going strong !! A decent Rover 75 estate  2.0d can be had for £1,500.

http://not2grand.co.uk/your-cars/rover-75/

6 hours ago, memyself said:

I've got an old Passat I use to transport my mountain bikes. It was £2.5k about three years ago, I've put nearly 80k on it, now at 160k and going strong. I'd definitely have another. It's no BMW but it's well put together and cheap to maintain. 

This website it worth a look. It's about a guy who used to buy expensive cars and bought a 2002 Rover 75 (with the BMW 2.0d engine) and it changed his whole perception of cars and their worth. He works a a film lighting technician and drives all over the country, he's up to 250k miles on the Rover 75 and still going strong !! A decent Rover 75 estate  2.0d can be had for £1,500.

http://not2grand.co.uk/your-cars/rover-75/

‘Yup. Fairly bullet proof and they tend to not rust, which is a good thing.

The N47 engine has a few foibles IIRC, but easy enough to sort and these cars can be bought for a song! Can come very well spec’d too. Not too bad seeing as when they were built, BMW had their say due to the brief ownership

The R75 drives well, but can be a bit sloppy. The ZT-T is much firmer, but softer tyres can help a lot with this too... 

Theyve got a bad rep, but it’s very easy to look beyond that and the R75/ZT forums have a superb wealth of knowledge 

I remember reading something recently about Passats and someone said of them that they are a poorly made car masquerading as a quality car. After having a few of them I would tend to agree with this statement. Yes the 130pd tdi is a good engine. But plagued by sensor failure, the suspension design is woeful unless you replace all the arms at once with quality parts you will forever be chasing clunks and rattles. They are extremely dull to drive and not very refined on long distances either or that was my impression having driven Glasgow to Kent in them quite a few times. The sports seats are also poor on long journeys. Blue dials are awesome though :lol:

another option for a cheap estate car, Toyota avensis? The 2.2d in 180bhp is a punchy engine they even used it in the Lexus IS 220d. After 55 plate they are better galvanised underneath so don’t rust any where near as much. Reasonable kit too. 

I must say I have considered the avensis. 

And agree the Passat much like the mk4 Golf is pretty dull. 

What are the petrol version Toyotas like?

The vvti petrols I think are extremely reliable and pretty good on fuel too. I had a Corolla with a 1.8vvti in it and it was a sweet reving little engine that sort of came on ‘cam’ above 4K revs. Decent manual gearbox too. Although typical over light steering. 

Edited by GStarrr

Cool. I’ve seen one that ticks most of the boxes. 

101k miles. Mot history shows it sailing through year on year. 

Electric leather. 

Only thing is it’s in High Wycombe. 

Seen a lot of people warn off that area!

1 hour ago, falcodub said:

Cool. I’ve seen one that ticks most of the boxes. 

101k miles. Mot history shows it sailing through year on year. 

Electric leather. 

Only thing is it’s in High Wycombe. 

Seen a lot of people warn off that area!

I’ve had a few cars from High Wycombe, zero issues and honest sellers

Just a shame cockends give them a bad name and stereotype etc and generally, it’s people slating the area although they’ve never bought a car from there etc...

Just be cautious as you are with any car buy and you should be fine!

39 minutes ago, Sam535i said:

Jaguar X type? 

The Mondeo's already been mentioned! ;)

Seriously though, the X type is a nice car and good value, my mate had a 2.2 diesel estate and it was a nice thing, I don't think he had any major issues with it. The 3.0 V6 4x4 models are supposed to be very good. :)

I have considered an x type. As said. Mondeo underneath. 

But looks nicer in and out

The avensis has sold so won’t be viewing that. 

Got a couple of weeks before the hire car goes back so hopefully I can find something soon

Edited by falcodub

I have spotted a very nice looking x type sport. 

Loads done. Clutch, flywheel etc. Crankshaft pulley which apparently is a common issue. 

But do they wear the mileage as well as an e39?

its done 178k

ford duratec engine 

22 hours ago, NWJW said:

The Mondeo's already been mentioned! ;)

Seriously though, the X type is a nice car and good value, my mate had a 2.2 diesel estate and it was a nice thing, I don't think he had any major issues with it. The 3.0 V6 4x4 models are supposed to be very good. :)

Terrible rot boxes, and the 2.0 TDCi engine has a lot of issues with pumps, injectors. They're junk now that they're old.

Japanese + petrol = sorted. Avensis, Accord or Mazda 6. The Honda is about the best bet. A manual V70 Volvo 2.4 petrol is a good shout as well, really solidly built and nice to own.

The jag is off the list. 

Most of em are off the list!

toyota maybe. Honda I know noting about at all. Same as Mazda. 

Touran would work but will have to go over the budget for a decent one. 

Two ten year olds a baby take up too much room! 

Most estates are still cosy. 

Hmm. 

2 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Terrible rot boxes, and the 2.0 TDCi engine has a lot of issues with pumps, injectors. They're junk now that they're old.

Japanese + petrol = sorted. Avensis, Accord or Mazda 6. The Honda is about the best bet. A manual V70 Volvo 2.4 petrol is a good shout as well, really solidly built and nice to own.

I'm on my second tdci Mondeo and not had a single injector or pump issue, we've also had loads of tdci Transits at work and apart from the odd clutch and flywheel and replacement turbo due to them being worn out we've had no issues (and those vans get driven HARD!). IMO the reason there are so many horror stories on the tdci engine is because there are so many of them out there, you don't hear about all the ones that have been reliable. That said, I agree that a petrol engine is far less likely to have issues.

The Accord Estate is a cracking motor for cheap running and overall size/load capacity

Bulletproof engines, the cars don’t rust and they’re cheap to maintain etc...

Research them before you discount them...