Rich b

B47 f10 2014 fuel economy

On 30/03/2018 at 17:35, stourpower said:

I did reset the figures after the o2 sensor change. I'll keep an eye on it for a while and take it back to the garage if I don't see an improvement soon.

Did you ever sort out your rubbish MPG? 

Did the O2 sensor improve things at all? 

MPG got a bit better but not much after the O2 sensor fix. I think it just comes down to my journey type - all stop/start (13 miles in about 55 minutes) - current MPG is 28.2

Cheers mate. 

Mine is also dead, I presumed that the post cat sensor does nothing other than keeps an eye on the cat, but speaking to someone from BMW today he did say the data fed back does affect fuel mixture. 

I thought I would check the state of my EGR, while 'trying' to take it out, I noticed a spilt in the hose from the turbo air pipe.

Part two...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5L32-EUR-07-2014-F11N-BMW-520d&diagId=13_1632#13717823517

I grabbed a new one with a new air filter and cleaned the maf (don't normally but thought I would as nothing to lose) and coming home it was hitting 47mpg, instead of struggling to get to 40.

I will get the O2 sensor sorted too this week, but looking better. 

Edited by gIzzE

I couldn't enjoy it though. 

My E350 Estate got better economy. 

That is 3.5 litre V6 petrol with 306hp. 

Fiona's F25 X3 was getting 35% better economy average and that is awd and crap aerodyamics. 

My TDV8 Range Rover was only 4mpg behind the 520d! Haha

I just knew there was something wrong with it. 

I only bough this as I was gobbing off Pistonheads that when buying new or nearly new, going diesel has no real financial benefits, as an overall running cost the difference between a like for like petrol is around 2% cost wise. 

I said if swapping you needed to go for a 320d Efficient Dynamics or similar. Everyone said that was nonsense and any diesel would see massive savings as I do 25k a year at least. 

I said I would get a 320d ED and see how much I could save, then decided that was a step too far and got the 520d, went SE to get the 225 wide 17" wheels and was ready to see huge savings. 

I didn't. 

I guess I should have been chuffed, but in all honesty I was gutted. 

I was actually surprised at how nicely the B47 drove, with only 190hp it felt plenty quick enough, compared to the N47 in the X3 it felt really refined, as good as the M57 in my 530d and I was driving them back to back, it was just the MPG, struggling to hit 30 on the school run and a real effort to get over 40mpg on a run over any long period was heartbreaking to be honest. May as well have just got a 535i or 340i. 

But seems it is now running much better, I knew something was not right. I have owned so many 5 series over the years, from E39's, 528i, 530i T, 530d T, 530i saloon, E61 535d, 530d, 530d lci, early F11 520d and then 530d as well as loads of 3 series, that I just knew something was up. 

When I get the O2 sensors fitted hopefully it will get a bit better again. 

So....remaps. ;)

54 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

I only bough this as I was gobbing off Pistonheads that when buying new or nearly new, going diesel has no real financial benefits, as an overall running cost the difference between a like for like petrol is around 2% cost wise. 

I said if swapping you needed to go for a 320d Efficient Dynamics or similar. Everyone said that was nonsense and any diesel would see massive savings as I do 25k a year at least. 

I said I would get a 320d ED and see how much I could save, then decided that was a step too far and got the 520d, went SE to get the 225 wide 17" wheels and was ready to see huge savings. 

I didn't. 

it was just the MPG, struggling to hit 30 on the school run and a real effort to get over 40mpg on a run over any long period was heartbreaking to be honest. May as well have just got a 535i or 340i. 

or as illustrated in two pics.

image.jpg

And

image.jpg

But you would be burst after a long motorway cruise in the 1 Series, if you fitted in it, no room for anyone with legs in the back seats, you want to put golf clubs or a pram in the boot but can't, you would have to wear a hoodie, but mostly because you aren't 22 and your daddy didn't buy it for you and so the 520d is purchased. Still the £100 price saving a month would go towards the inevitable higher fuel costs esp if used on a school run where the mid 20 mpg (realistic) would be offset, assuming you got your kids in it in the first place. Owners of the pocket rocket 1 Series report high 30s mpg average as there isn't the weight to lug about.

Have to say The B47 in my dad's G01 is very quiet in the cabin,  I'm impressed with it for noise levels in the cabin having driven both M47 and N47 E60s.

Your signature is quite telling.  Do you think it would have been sensible if yours worked properly?

I need to update my signature. Haha

I bought this as I will be going into London a fair bit, I would like to see 50mpg down there and save the £12.50 ULEZ charge. 

I decided to buy this to do a job, and then I will try a few more cars as a second car, things I can try, have fun with and then move on and try something else. 

I think I just have a bit of an issue with the way diesel is pushed in the UK, it is based on unrealistic MPG figures, and yet we all fall for it. 

I have monitored MPG figures for the cars I have owned and where I have had the same in petrol and diesel the only thing that really remains the same is the fact that there is never more than a 15% saving at the pump going diesel. 

530i vs 530d

A6 3.0tdi vs 3.2fsi

335d vs 335i

E350d vs E350 

To name a few, never more than 15% better MPG with the diesel and that is me doing loads of motorway miles, i found quite often that on my 6 mile commute the petrol gave better results, especially in winter, and I suspect many owners do the majority of their driving on sub 10 mile trips. 

I think a lot of the problem is the figures get skewed as someone who buys petrol tends to do fewer miles or buys the car for hooning around in at the weekend. 

My M3 CSL was a good example, I used to average 18mpg in it, then I used it as my main car for 4 months and 6000 miles and the average jumped up to 34mpg, 535d Touring auto only used to see that doing the same. Christ, my E46 320d auto touring only used to average that as well. 

As we have seen, those doing loads of town work, 13 miles in 55 minutes as said earlier, see the 520d only returning 29mpg, the 535i is only 2-3mpg behind that. 

When we add in the depreciation, the upkeep and the fact we have to put fuel in anyway, whether diesel or petrol, then the overall cost difference makes me wonder why we sell so many diesels in the UK. 

If you look at the new MPG figures they are a lot more telling, if you look a US figures (tricky as not many diesels sold there) then we see a far more realistic figure. 

Take the Merc E350 vs E350d in the States, it was showing 26 city and 34 Highway for the petrol vs 29 diesel vs 38 Highway for the diesel (converted to UK gallons). You can see why not many in the States even consider the diesel. 

Yet the UK figures are 34 combined petrol vs 52 mpg combined for the diesel, so everyone orders the diesel. 

I have owned both, reality was 30mpg average for the petrol and 34mpg average for the diesel (OBC said 38, but it lied). 

Again, on the 6 mile morning run it was 26mpg for the E350d vs 27mpg for the E350 petrol. 

I'm just bitter as I like to buy my cars used, hence I am annoyed at the lack of petrols on the market. You can ignore me. ;)

I completely agree with what you are saying. Theirs a big push for lower capacity engines to be fitted to cars with the promise of better mpg. In a lab that maybe the case but in reality its wrong. The n47 or b47 is a small unit for such a big car and must work harder. The harder they work the more fuel they use, its not rocket science but thanks to the stupid green movement, it appears to be the future (dont get me started on EV's). I stick to my guns though. Sod the MPG and try to enjoy it. It can become all too consuming otherwise. 

BTW i will be looking at a 6 pot next time. Just better :)

OK. interested thing happened this morning, I went over to the garage as they needed my car there to put the warranty claim in for the O2 Sensors. 

I noticed that the MPG had gone up from mid 30s the other day and on the way home hit 47mpg, after doing filter, split hose and cleaning maf. 

I decided to reset the OBC and see how the 16 mile journey went, which included dropping my lad off at school first, so around 20 miles at least, with B roads, dual carriageway and then down some proper windy roads with a couple of steep hills. This is where I was struggling to hit 40mpg no matter what. 

This morning when I got there I was showing just over 50mpg, at one point I nearly hit 60mpg. 

I was taking it easy and trying to get good MPG but never seen anything like that. 

Anyway, now obviously I saw an improvement on Monday after the air filter, split hose and MAF clean, the only thing that has changed since then was I filled up on Monday night too. 

I was going to fill up on the way there, but the Shell was closed as they had a fuel delivery, so filled up Monday evening.

Anyway, today I clicked, the switch over date for summer diesel is roughly March 15th, unless the wether is still dropping below -5ºc, which it hasn't for a few weeks now. 

So I reckon this is the first tank I have had with summer diesel. 

Even my wife mentioned how much easier it seemed to be to keep the MPG in the mid 40s now, she was struggling to get 35mpg last week no matter how hard she tried. 

Edited by gIzzE

A quick search on google showed these...

I  am writing further to your email, I apologise for the delay in response. For your information, the fuel formulation changes between Summer to Winter grade, in order to meet the Cold Performance properties of the British Standard specification. Winter grade Diesel contains a higher proportion of lighter middle distillate fractions as well as more cold flow improver additive than the Summer grade fuel. Winter grade fuel is sold in the UK between mid November and mid March each year.

Kind Regards
Heather Whyte 
Customer Relations - Retail 
Shell UK Oil Products Limited, 
Rowlandsway House, Rowlandsway, Manchester M22 5SB 

and......

Mike, many thanks for your enquiry which was passed on to me by our Customer Services group. 

We manufacture automotive diesel fuel to meet European requirements known as EN590. This specification is adopted by British Standards and a group of fuel experts (of which I am a member) sit and agree what is known as the National Annex, I can only describe this part as… the fuel needed to work in say a Scottish winter is different to that required for Southern Spain… we have some freedom within EN590 to choose cold temperature performance and winter start dates suitable for our geographic location.

This is by way of explanation to your specific questions; the formulation ex refinery, winter vs summer quality does change, as we have to meet the tighter cold temperature (winter) performance requirement as defined in the National Annex in BSEN590. 

Winter for road diesel quality is currently defined as operating from the 15th November through to the 15th March and product sold during this period has to meet a cold flow test, known as the CFPP test, at a maximum temperature of -15C, compare this with the summer specification of -5C.

The actual performance change is bought about by using different blend components at the refinery, together with the use of cold flow additives.

Hope this helps, 

Regards
Kevin J Barnes

I swapped over the o2 sensor a while back now and didn't really see any increase in MPG.

However, because the hesitation when you hit the throttle sometimes was annoying me I started to look into why, as it never annoyed me on my other BMWs with the ZF8.

After lots of diag and live data tracking realised it was the EGR sticking. 

Anyway, while doing the live data tracking saw the O2 sensor post cat was still showing as failed, open circuit, reading data sometimes but not right. 

This was weird as it was changed a while back. Anyway, long story short the swapped out the wrong one!!! 

They had put the new one into the pre car location. 

They are the same sensor, one with a 350mm cable and one with a 540mm cable. 

So, I bought a new one and put it in today, but on the drive home, around 16 miles I got over 60mpg, even back home after going back into the city to pick my son up and sat in traffic it was showing 54mpg. Never seen that before. 

Even if it sits high 40s compared with high 30s I will be chuffed, this is what this car should be about.

I will start using it more, I had been using our Discovery as the MPG difference was not all that much! Haha

But obviously so many things on these cars that can ruin your MPG. 

Not sure I understand what you mean? 

I'm driving a 520d?! ;)

I was struggling to get past mid 30s when I picked it up, which was about 4-5mpg better than the 306hp 3.6 litre V6 petrol E350 I was in before. 

But after swapping to Shell fuel, adding Archoil 6200eu, replacing filters, breather pipe, new EGR and new O2 sensors it seems to now be closer to 50mpg. 

I'm running an SE with 245 section tyres as well, I would expect a sport with 275 rears would lose around 5mpg. 

10 hours ago, gIzzE said:

Not sure I understand what you mean? 

I'm driving a 520d?! ;)

I was struggling to get past mid 30s when I picked it up, which was about 4-5mpg better than the 306hp 3.6 litre V6 petrol E350 I was in before. 

But after swapping to Shell fuel, adding Archoil 6200eu, replacing filters, breather pipe, new EGR and new O2 sensors it seems to now be closer to 50mpg. 

I'm running an SE with 245 section tyres as well, I would expect a sport with 275 rears would lose around 5mpg. 

Sorry, I drive f11 520d auto. I get average of 42 mpg. 225's all round.

Doesn't seem to make any difference on motorway runs either. Might need to do the same checks as you. I like your mpg more than mine.:)

Yeah, threw a code. 

Said the o2 sensor post cat was showing short to ground. 

But then when cleared it was OK, but watching the live data you could see it was not working correctly. 

Then after a few days it was showing the error when I looked again.