Modge

E60 CCC Android system upgrade

Does anyody know anything about this new version that icebox auto have just put up for sale that apparently only has CarPlay/Android Auto without the actual Android operating system?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264681065661

This appeals to me as it's significantly cheaper (over £350 for the Android version plus CarPlay adapter) and I have an iPhone so would happily use the iOS apps over the Android ones anyway.

Hi all,

Has anyone changed the start up picture to their own yet?

If so how do you do it and does anyone have any pics i could download and use?

Also when scrolling through the menu the car info section the car is a x1 i believe, is there any way to change this? I'm running Android 9 and ID7.

Many thanks.

Mine is Android 7 and there's a few options for the startup pic. It's in the settings menu, the one accessed with the pin code. I changed it from the "connected drive" to a basic BMW logo. I think there's a few Audi options too, but I decided against those :)

If you wanted to use your own image you'd have to root the unit. This would probably be fairly simple once rooted - dropping the correct sized image into a certain folder somewhere but changing the image in the car info section would involve root and unpacking whatever app is in use for "car info" and repacking with your image. 

You might have better luck over here on bimmerpost where they are theming their Android 9 units

Keliuss

On 3/28/2020 at 12:56 PM, edd_jedi said:

Does anyody know anything about this new version that icebox auto have just put up for sale that apparently only has CarPlay/Android Auto without the actual Android operating system?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264681065661

This appeals to me as it's significantly cheaper (over £350 for the Android version plus CarPlay adapter) and I have an iPhone so would happily use the iOS apps over the Android ones anyway.

Hi Edd

After looking at this off and on for a year , I finally got some useful info from IceBoxAuto as the owner called me back - really helped me understand the options - so this £274 one should be seen as a less expansive option, But if you are Apple-centric, then it seems a good option. If you want any the optional extra's like DAB, then you'll need Android unit with the Carplay add-on. I guess running carplay over Android will take away some of the upgraded performance anyway? if you want the highest performance and latest chipset with integrated 4G, then you need android.

For me, this version was enough:

- CarPlay for Calls, SMS, Siri,Spotify, Waze, etc. plus access to OEM when required. 

- Rear Reversing camera

- WiFi Connectivity to an iPhone.

I'll get DAB through my phone, along with 4G through tethering. I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited by db525d