edd_jedi

BMW E60/E61 IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) Replacement on a Budget

I think I know what you mean with regards to the definition on if its before or after, I have just looked at the original pic again I added to this nightmare I'm having and its KW on the lable and both capital letters and not how you explained Kw nor kW ????? 

I think I know what you mean with regards to the definition on if its before or after, I have just looked at the original pic again I added to this nightmare I'm having and its KW on the lable and both capital letters and not how you explained Kw nor kW ????? 

Do you still have the Ebay purchase on your history edd and what 5 series did you fit it on, was it an e60, diesel and what size engine.....sorry to ask so many questions bud.

Happy to help! No it was over a year ago now I'm afraid and the eBay listing and photos have gone. My car is a 2005 530d, I remember the IBS I bought was from an E90. From my research I really don't think it matters, they all look the same whether from an E60, E90, E70 or even a Mini. The only thing that differs is the length of the negative battery cable so as you will see in my photos the one I got it a bit shorter than the old one, but it still works fine.

Edited by edd_jedi

Yep that looks like it's worth a try for the price, I think the important thing is that it's the newer design (rubber covered IBS) which that is so is worth a punt for £15. Remember you will need to clear the fault code, and also that the faulty IBS could have damaged your battery.

That's the thing I got no fault code, well not on my idrive anyway. My stepson has a fault reader so he could plug it in, the weird thing is that when rac came out a while ago he diagnosed it to the IBS but when he unplugged it from the blue plug by the rear light it didn't show a fault, he would then plug it back in and run another test and it showed. In what way could it have damaged the battery?

It won't show on the dashboard/iDrive, only using diagnostic software like INPA or Carly. Worth getting the codes read properly, your stepsons fault reader may work but a BMW specific one would be better.

The IBS monitors the battery's charge, so if it is either disconnected or faulty your battery could be running very low after even just a few days. If this has been happening for months/years, your battery may need replacing. What exactly was the original symptom you were getting, why were the RAC looking at your car?

It was mid February this year, I got into my car in the morning to go to work and the msg on my idrive said about battery discharge and had to reset date and time, though nothing of it and drove to work. I left work in the evening and it said the same again and to reset date and time, as it was dark I had to put my lights on....well they were set on auto anyway. Later in the evening I went to the car to pop down the shop and nothing, very faint lights on the dash but wouldn't turn over so that's when I called the rac out the following morning and the story I said about unplugged the IBS went from there.

OK, common story with the E60 I'm afraid. There are a number of reasons the battery can run low - age, not being registered, faulty/disconnected IBS, or a drain somewhere (eg aftermarket immobiliser.) You should get the IBS sorted but also investigate what caused the low battery warning. It could simply be that your battery is very old and needs replacing, these cars require a huge amount of power to start up so a decent battery is a must.

Yeah for £15 it's worth a shot, for a healthy battery you need a functioning IBS contrary to lots of opinions you will read on the internet.

I know what you mean, so many mixed reviews, answers and resolutions. My car is totally standard, no extras added like you see and hear what some do, also what I ment to tell you is that the rac guy tested everything and even said the battery was fine and even did an alternator test but because of the IBS its was causing a none start. I really glad I did lots of searching on the web to finally come across your post, it was there as a link/forum to go to and here we are lol.....thank you very very much for all your advice and guidance bud. There are a few groups I'm in on Facebook but getting an honest answer without other jumping onboard is just to much like hard work.

On 25/04/2019 at 16:43, edd_jedi said:

Yeah for £15 it's worth a shot, for a healthy battery you need a functioning IBS contrary to lots of opinions you will read on the internet.

Yes, you'll see from some previous post of mine, my IBS failed must have been 2 or 3 years ago. I ran with it disconnected for several months, and initially thought it was OK, but the battery always seemed not to be charged properly, made worse I think by the fact that the car is only used once or twice a week. With daily use and long runs you might get away with it. Anyway I did eventually buy a brand new one from BMW and had it fitted, and it makes a big difference. I had thought that the battery may have been past it's best, but no. It was and still is fine, just now it has being charged properly. Sure my previous cars never had an IBS and were fine without it, but these cars are designed to have one.

I had to register just to make this post, I had problems with 2 salvage original old E61 IBS cables and came up with this thread, so I bought an E9x/E7x/mini cable off ebay and soldered the thick wire from original IBS with correct plug. The part number has no role in it,  just make sure you get one new-looking model.

Works like charm no fault codes anymore and battery seems to be charged much better now. Thanks Edd for discovering and sharing this with us!

Hi kehiz, thanks to edd mines working fine now. When I was looking for one there were so many different prices for one and then seen the thread and went with it, it worked perfectly and never had a problem since, well worth £15 :)

I would hazard a guess KW is the manufacturing week. KW standing for calendar week in German so 30.08 would be week 30 in 2008.

Edited by JasonH

2 hours ago, JasonH said:

I would hazard a guess KW is the manufacturing week. KW standing for calendar week in German so 30.08 would be week 30 in 2008.

Correct. KW = kalenderwoche

On 6/9/2019 at 11:58 AM, Kehiz said:

I had to register just to make this post, I had problems with 2 salvage original old E61 IBS cables and came up with this thread, so I bought an E9x/E7x/mini cable off ebay and soldered the thick wire from original IBS with correct plug. The part number has no role in it,  just make sure you get one new-looking model.

Works like charm no fault codes anymore and battery seems to be charged much better now. Thanks Edd for discovering and sharing this with us!

Is the IBS really necessary,  The Mercedes C-Class, petrol or diesel up to mid 2011 had NO sensor on the neg rail of battery, essentially the same Merc-C Class after late 2011 did, I now read on todays forums that batteries fitted to these later cars with these sensors are failing earlier. It would be interesting to know if this technology is worth having with regards to the problems it appears to be causing.

I own one of the later C-Class Mercs, I disconnected the battery sensor over 12 months ago, did same on my Porsche, the battery is dated 09.11, if you have stop/start and hate it disconnecting this sensor deactivates that system also. 

Drivers of later cars with smart charging are finding EMU controlled smart charging is closing certain systems down when it detects the battery is getting low. The probable cause of the low batteries is that the smart charge system only charges the battery up to around 75 to 80% under engine power, the rest has to come from any regeneration (braking, cruising) if there is any. If the car is driven on mainly short journeys you will probably have a partially charged battery for the majority of the time, this is bad for the battery, also a low battery is the main reason why stop/start is intermittent.

Why some drivers are so concerned when the stop/start system stops working and throw money at it is beyond me,  you may get a marginal gain in fuel but against that the life of your battery is halved and it probably increases the wear on your hard to get at timing chain because of the thousands of extra starts the system initiates, turbo`s don`t like being suddenly stopped and started again dozens of times within a short time frame.

AGM AFTERMARKET FALTERS AS DRIVERS DISABLE START-STOP FUNCTION (It`s all about money)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiIuPOVl6DhAhVbWxUIHfiAA544ChAWMAB6BAgFEAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.batteriesinternational.com%2Fagm-aftermarket-falters-as-drivers-disable-start-stop-function%2F&usg=AOvVaw08bv3UyFcXEoY6koR3tCl5

Regarding the economic argument against AGM and "Auto Start Stop" feature, here's a good rant I have previously enjoyed on the subject (from down under). Jump started to the meaty numbers bit (break even if you are lucky!):

I purchased a spare 2nd hand one of these and it's now sitting in my box of unused parts, if anybody is interested...

My car was built in 2005 so doesn't have engine start/stop, and I don't think I have an AGM battery either (Yausa YBX5020.) Experiences may vary, but I can tell you that for the first year I owned my car I was plagued with battery issues, it must have gone flat a dozen times and I would regularly get the 'excessive battery drain' error after just a couple of days without use. The new battery I have in there now didn't solve the problem, and yes I did register it.

However since repairing the IBS almost 2 years ago, I can now happily leave my car without being used for several weeks, it will start first time without any errors, and the battery hasn't gone flat once.

Personally I'm of the opinion that BMW wouldn't have fitted the IBS in the first place if it served no purpose. It's entirely logical that modern cars with many electronics systems (including ones that stay powered on after the car has been locked such as wi-fi, iPod interface kit etc) will need a more intelligent battery charging system than an old(er) car. As said in my original post though, if you're lucky enough to use your car daily, you probably won't notice any problems even with a knackered IBS and battery.

Edd,

My car is a 2006 530d auto, used daily, non start / stop,  new Varta silver 110ah battery fitted, fully charged 

Coded & registered.  I still get issue's this is my next job.

If I don't go all Basil Fawlty on it first & give it a good birching!!!!

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel
Correct info