KitsonRis

Wheels to fit my E34

Well I've gone with some genuine staggered style 32. They came reasonable enough and when my local wheel refurb place do their usual magic I've no doubt they will come up as new. I would have preferred to go style 5 as I think it would have been more in keeping with the sport but the smaller style 5 were just too small compared to the big metrics and the BBS RC just too expensive and hard to find. The 8x16" E38 wheels were too much of a risk on the Mtech suspension.

The original 415 metrics are mint and will stay with the car for posterity but the Style 32 will be a good usable alternative and I think they suit the E34 just as well.

A bit of a bump, but don't feel there's a need for a new thread for a quick question...

I've been running Bilstein B8 suspension setup with 17" staggered Throwing stars on my E34 525i for more than a year now, having 235/45/17 on the front and 255/40/17 on the rear.

That's probably a perfect setup for an E34 M5, but I'm not too sure if it's ideal for a 525i with just 190 bhp? The car handles well and it's very stable at high speeds, also looks great on these wheels, but sometimes I feel that even 17s are a bit too big for this engine?

I wouldn't say that there's any obvious hesitation in acceleration or top speed, but I remember it was so easy to move along on the original 15's, and not to mention the comfort. They were also incredibly light compared to the 17's, but have to admit that the chunky rubber didn't provide as much confidence on the road as the lower profile tyres on the 17's.

Long story short, are the stock 15" BBS alloys really the best choice for a 525i or am I just getting old?

15's are best for the comfort ride and also help hide suspension issues ... and are less likely to have flat spots and bends etc. 

I still rate the 17's as the best all round wheel for the e34 ...  and i'm old :lol:   

My suspension is all new, front and rear, so there's nothing to hide, but the ride is a bit crashy on 17's - I'm not sure if it's the shocks/springs which are a bit too harsh for road use or possibly the tyres are a bit knackered and don't have much flex in them?

I'm going to put new tyres all around and see if it improves things....If not, I may have to go back to 15's just to see how much of a difference they make.

21 minutes ago, Blackman said:

My suspension is all new, front and rear, so there's nothing to hide, but the ride is a bit crashy on 17's - I'm not sure if it's the shocks/springs which are a bit too harsh for road use or possibly the tyres are a bit knackered and don't have much flex in them?

I'm going to put new tyres all around and see if it improves things....If not, I may have to go back to 15's just to see how much of a difference they make.

I use Toyo Proxes Sport version now ... Which is a better ride than some of the other brands I've tried in the past. .     

7 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

I use Toyo Proxes Sport version now ... Which is a better ride than some of the other brands I've tried in the past. .     

I remember reading somewhere that the Toyo's were useless in the wet. What are you thoughts on it Carl?

3 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

I remember reading somewhere that the Toyo's were useless in the wet  

Yes they are. I had them in my old track Clio and on a mildly damp road I could wheel spin until I grabbed third gear with little effort. In the dry though they are very good. 

Ive had all my suspension redone with B8’s and run 17” and it’s nit too bad. It is not as bad as I was expecting. Glad I didn’t go 18” wheels and coil overs. 

5 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

I remember reading somewhere that the Toyo's were useless in the wet. What are you thoughts on it Carl?

Hi Marc, I find Toyo's perform well in the wet on normal road conditions ... But you can break the rear end grip on islands if not careful enough :)

We have Toyo's on all our 540's coming from Conti's in the past which i found were a slightly poorer ride.

2 hours ago, KitsonRis said:

Yes they are. I had them in my old track Clio and on a mildly damp road I could wheel spin until I grabbed third gear with little effort. In the dry though they are very good. 

Ive had all my suspension redone with B8’s and run 17” and it’s nit too bad. It is not as bad as I was expecting. Glad I didn’t go 18” wheels and coil overs. 

We have B8's with 17's on TBL and the ride is very pleasing. 

On 22/04/2019 at 23:19, Carl-e34 said:

I've already bought newish Continental Premium Contact 6 for the front and I kept looking at Toyo Proxes Sport for my rears, but wasn't 100% decided on the brand, as Toyos are not exactly premium tyres, but I believe they are still pretty decent quality.

It's the fact that they are priced very close with budget brands, which doesn't inspire confidence.

I was also thinking to go with Bridgestone Potenza or Goodyear Eagle F1 for the rears, but they are roughly £20-25 more for each tyre, so while it seems like a negligible difference, are they really going to be much better vs Toyos? I doubt it.

in my experience of the Toyo T1* tyres vs a Goodyear Eagle F1, yes it'll be worth it, back when they were available in a 15" they were a better sporty tyre in the French car world than the Michelins of the time, being a little firmer in the sidewalls.