Beej4

Seeing this M5, thoughts?

On 26/01/2018 at 10:52 PM, Blackman said:

I would probably wait until a decent 3.8 came along, but this one does look pretty clean....Although, based on the MOT history, looks like it hasn't been driven much (less than 1k miles) or MOT'ed for the past 7 years...

Like any other E34, the main thing to look out for would be the rust...Sill panels, front/rear wings, around the fuel flap, bottoms of the doors, the boot lid above the number plate and around the fuel flap area. Apart from that, check the general condition of the car, how the engine runs, electrics, any suspension knocks, brakes/steering and service history/invoices, etc.

Usually, you can tell the condition of the car just by looking at its owner, so that's another thing to keep in mind :D

OK, I shouldn't buy a car from this fella then...

image.thumb.png.3056d29cf7c246de4182f1d4be7ac4b8.png

1 hour ago, jonbb said:

Thing is the with the old 3.6 is that they ain't that quick. The 3.6 normally dynos at 300hp or less, and it's got to push 1750kg plus around. Superb engines though. 

Agreed, they are not that quick, certainly not from the line anyway. Thing is, the 3.8 ain’t that quick either. If you can keep the revs up in either car you can cover ground very quickly but you have to work at it and need an empty road really. The sound is glorious though and having to get everything right to make them really shift is why they are so much fun to drive. 

To be honest, if I wanted a really rapid car, I wouldn't buy this.

I'm buying into the M5 legend!

On 29/01/2018 at 4:10 PM, Beej4 said:

To be honest, if I wanted a really rapid car, I wouldn't buy this.

I'm buying into the M5 legend!

Yup. Let us know how the purchase goes. I do love the e34. 

That is a lot of £££££££££££ for a 3.6 with 170 on the clock IMO

Update on the M5 3.8 Nurburgring (Mazi, not seeing the £££££££ 3.6...)

Had its MOT yesterday, passed with no advisories.

Going to pick up tomorrow, as long as it all checks out in the flesh!

Pictures will be posted when I get a chance.

I can't believe this. The owner of M5 3.8 just called and said he's changed his mind about selling it and he's keeping it!

I'm cursed!

The 3.8 M5 is back on for sale here

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/m5/bmw-5-series-m5--------------------1995/8797095

When I won the Ebay auction back in February, we'd agreed a price of 16K. 

The day before I was going to pick up, he changed his mind and said he wanted 18K.

I refused out of principle.

Now you can see how much it has "appreciated" in 6 months...

Anyone going to see it will surely find a good car but I just don't trust this seller after my experience.

Just a heads-up for anyone wishing to go and view.

4 hours ago, Beej4 said:

The 3.8 M5 is back on for sale here

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/m5/bmw-5-series-m5--------------------1995/8797095

When I won the Ebay auction back in February, we'd agreed a price of 16K. 

The day before I was going to pick up, he changed his mind and said he wanted 18K.

I refused out of principle.

Now you can see how much it has "appreciated" in 6 months...

Anyone going to see it will surely find a good car but I just don't trust this seller after my experience.

Just a heads-up for anyone wishing to go and view.

Do you regret not paying the extra 2K?

Not sure it's now worth nearly 30K but no, it was the principle.

I'm happy to deal with a person with integrity, not someone trying to make a quick buck out of me.

If he'd said he wanted 18K in the first place, that's a different story.

Anyway, I ended up with a fantastic machine so there was a happy ending to this story!

Unless it changed hands recently, this guy has been trying to sell it for the past 2 years - I remember when I was looking for my E34, this was for sale...And that was back in 2016.

It's the same guy. The ad is exactly the same as the ebay ad back in January. 

A rare car for sure but that's a lot of money for a car with 145k miles. I'd expect a pampered 50k miler to be around that money.

C.

The problem with rare cars is that they are worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, so if he finds a buyer who will pay £30k for it, then best of luck to him....What can I say? The same applies to all the other rare M cars from 90's, including the E30 M3 Evo/Evo2 and E36 M3 GT/GT2, etc.

They are at ridiculous prices now, considering you get slightly different bumpers with a few spoilers and that's it really....They are more like investments, rather than cars to drive and enjoy.

no one wanted my old avus over champers 6 speed with the same milege last year for 14k.  Had it up for a good few weeks before it sold.  A better car than this i'd wager

Hes dreaming or seen M5 touring and Alpina bi turbo prices!  

Remember Phil had a Jap import 3.8 in at CPC tail end of last year,  mint with low mileage, LHD of course, in need of recommission as it had sat for a while,  It broke my heart when i heard what had been paid for it given the condition/quality of the car :-(  

Appreciate these are rare cars (especially 6 speed) and its worth as much as someone is willing to pay, but i cant see it shifting at that money.

This sold at much more realistic money,  Nov last year (albeit a 5 speed) 93k on the clock,  looked beautiful IMO!! i know a few months have since past but i doubt the market  has moved that quickly. 

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2017-11-25/cars/ref-29-1992-bmw-m5-e34/

Now i must stop looking at e34 m5s for sale :D