Jump to content
sinner

Restart E39 530d Sport Touring

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, daniels said:

Still amazing work on your E39 :D
 

I am sorry if I missed it, but which specific injectors did you end up using?

I am looking at part number: 13537792096 on RealOEM but was considering some FIRAD nozzles on the stock E39 injectors.
According to DarkSideDevelopments they would fit with a perfect spray angle.
 


Thank you.


The injectors are from an early 535d, not sure of the part number, sorry.  I have DLLA 145 P 1655 Bosch nozzles (145 spray angle).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sinner said:


I would like to covert to an electronic actuator, because of boost control issues at altitude.


It’s actually fine in the UK, but I live in Switzerland and most interesting roads are at or above 1000 m (- ~0.1 bar atm), where it gets a bit laggy.

Vacuum pump is good, so I pretty sure it is the actuator. I found a complete turbo and actuator at a breakers, so I have something to test now.
 

There is a Slovakian guys selling kits to adapt the E39. I may well end up getting one. But, I thought it would be fun to figure it out for myself. I was going to start with what was done for the E38 740d.


I saw some posts from you about this a while ago, but attachments are long gone.

If you have any input, I’d really appreciate it

 

 

This schematic has proven to work if you replace vacuum actuator with servo. Why don't you use the servo made for 2260?

 

image.png.e077785b5b0dbe98e0ce0380cbbf236b.png

Edited by Clavurion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Clavurion said:

 

This schematic has proven to work if you replace vacuum actuator with servo. Why don't you use the servo made for 2260?

 

image.png.e077785b5b0dbe98e0ce0380cbbf236b.png


@Clavurion Thank you very much! That will save a lot of time.

Do you know if the duty cycle of the control signal needs changing in the map? 

The documentation is a bit misleading: Here  (page 140 and 141) the duty cycle is listed as 30% to 95% for both the E39 and E38, but WDS has it at 5% to 95%. For the E60, WDS has 10% to 95%,  with 10% vanes fully opened and 95% vanes fully closed.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sinner said:

Do you know if the duty cycle of the control signal needs changing in the map? 

The documentation is a bit misleading: Here  (page 140 and 141) the duty cycle is listed as 30% to 95% for both the E39 and E38, but WDS has it at 5% to 95%. For the E60, WDS has 10% to 95%,  with 10% vanes fully opened and 95% vanes fully closed.

 

AFAIK no need to change duty cycle. 5-95 % is possible but when checking logs on vehicles with servo the actuation usually never goes below 30%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

been following your thread for a few weeks, you actually did all the same conversions that i am currently doing, so you saved me heaps of time and effort.

Only difference is that I have the firad larger nozzles and run 1800 bar,  also I ordered my hybrid turbo from FMIC.eu, its a 460hp+ turbo.

I am also currently doing the electronic actuator conversion, if you have a program to edit the maps, youre good to go.

In a FAQ email, they told me how to do it.

Email says: 

"Tuning only requires modded old base N75 map for more PWM output 80% -> 95%

and MAX N75 map + MIN N75 map 10% -> 5%

 

without ecu modded, car works but turbo dont go to 100% spool capability"

 

Hope this helps you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bronx1987 said:

...without ecu modded, car works but turbo dont go to 100% spool capability"

 

Hope this helps you

Thank you. This is what I'd heard from a few places. I will look into it.

I plan to measure the PWM for the N75, and I  have a 12 V function generator to test the range of the electronic actuator.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bronx1987 said:

been following your thread for a few weeks, you actually did all the same conversions that i am currently doing, so you saved me heaps of time and effort.

Only difference is that I have the firad larger nozzles and run 1800 bar,  also I ordered my hybrid turbo from FMIC.eu, its a 460hp+ turbo.

I am also currently doing the electronic actuator conversion, if you have a program to edit the maps, youre good to go.

In a FAQ email, they told me how to do it.

Email says: 

"Tuning only requires modded old base N75 map for more PWM output 80% -> 95%

and MAX N75 map + MIN N75 map 10% -> 5%

 

without ecu modded, car works but turbo dont go to 100% spool capability"

 

Hope this helps you


Pretty much my setup as well :D

I am waiting for my Firad nozzels - 4 weeks delivery left :-(

 

I am currently running with a hybrid GT2260V turbo (built for 400hp+) and it runs pretty OK - I will add a 1800 bar sensor and the injectors with Firad nozzels as soon as I get those nozzles.

That electronic actuator conversion is very exiting to follow :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daniels said:


Pretty much my setup as well :D

I am waiting for my Firad nozzels - 4 weeks delivery left :-(

 

I am currently running with a hybrid GT2260V turbo (built for 400hp+) and it runs pretty OK - I will add a 1800 bar sensor and the injectors with Firad nozzels as soon as I get those nozzles.

That electronic actuator conversion is very exiting to follow :D

where did you buy your turbo? Also what clutch are you running? I have the PMC kit with a Spec clutch, which they state holds 800nm, however ive seen the same pressure plate hold 1000nm in twin disk setups.

So I am wondering if I should push for 1000nm or not.

Also are you doing the Injector tips yourself or are you getting a company to do it?

Ive taken a few injectors apart and they are pretty simple.

Edited by bronx1987

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bronx1987 said:

where did you buy your turbo? Also what clutch are you running? I have the PMC kit with a Spec clutch, which they state holds 800nm, however ive seen the same pressure plate hold 1000nm in twin disk setups.

So I am wondering if I should push for 1000nm or not.

Also are you doing the Injector tips yourself or are you getting a company to do it?

Ive taken a few injectors apart and they are pretty simple.


I bought a standard OEM GT2260V for an E60 and got a Danish turbo-expert to upgrade it (they say the turbo itself can do at least 400bp stable).

I am using a Sachs Performance clutch with their dual masss flywheel.
It is only rated as 540Nm+ but I was worried about getting a on/off clutch (sintered metal ones) which would not be for everyday driving. It is pretty hard to push down, but I really like the way it activates the clutch. It is pretty easy to do quick shifts which are seamless so it feels like an auto :D (I would like it were softer though).
How is the PMC in daily driving compared to a standard clutch (do you have a link to the model you are using)?

I have a local Bosch specialist who fixes the injectors. They change the nozzles and measure all the injectors (with documentation) and makes sure they are as good as new for about €370.
I want to get them measured anyway and letting the Bosch experts put them together only costs about €150.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daniels said:


I bought a standard OEM GT2260V for an E60 and got a Danish turbo-expert to upgrade it (they say the turbo itself can do at least 400bp stable).

I am using a Sachs Performance clutch with their dual masss flywheel.
It is only rated as 540Nm+ but I was worried about getting a on/off clutch (sintered metal ones) which would not be for everyday driving. It is pretty hard to push down, but I really like the way it activates the clutch. It is pretty easy to do quick shifts which are seamless so it feels like an auto :D (I would like it were softer though).
How is the PMC in daily driving compared to a standard clutch (do you have a link to the model you are using)?

I have a local Bosch specialist who fixes the injectors. They change the nozzles and measure all the injectors (with documentation) and makes sure they are as good as new for about €370.
I want to get them measured anyway and letting the Bosch experts put them together only costs about €150.

 

the kit i have bought from PMC is this one:

https://pmcmotorsport-shop.com/product-eng-2056-Performance-clutch-set-BMW-M57.html

This kit is great, but it is insanely noisy and no fun to drive at any time other than track.

 

However, if you want something that is much better, buy the following parts:

PMC lightweight m57 flywheel 7.5kg

Sachs performance pressure plate PN 883082001243

Spec clutch disk SBD663FS ( you will need to ask them through customer support)

 

This will hold 800nm (400hp) perhaps even more and feel and drive near identical to factory.

You will have a very minor amount of gearbox chatter due to only having a sprung hub disk instead of a DMF, but with the right transmission oil mix, its barely noticeable.

 

I might have to see if there are any diesel injector specialists in Australia as nobody ever wants to touch bmw stuff here, the last thing I want to do is blow an engine which is non existent here as its all import only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 3:40 AM, bronx1987 said:

the kit i have bought from PMC is this one:

https://pmcmotorsport-shop.com/product-eng-2056-Performance-clutch-set-BMW-M57.html

This kit is great, but it is insanely noisy and no fun to drive at any time other than track.

 

However, if you want something that is much better, buy the following parts:

PMC lightweight m57 flywheel 7.5kg

Sachs performance pressure plate PN 883082001243

Spec clutch disk SBD663FS ( you will need to ask them through customer support)

 

This will hold 800nm (400hp) perhaps even more and feel and drive near identical to factory.

You will have a very minor amount of gearbox chatter due to only having a sprung hub disk instead of a DMF, but with the right transmission oil mix, its barely noticeable.

 

I might have to see if there are any diesel injector specialists in Australia as nobody ever wants to touch bmw stuff here, the last thing I want to do is blow an engine which is non existent here as its all import only.

 

Quite a nice nugget of information! Thank you! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 6:43 PM, sinner said:

Thank you. This is what I'd heard from a few places. I will look into it.

I plan to measure the PWM for the N75, and I  have a 12 V function generator to test the range of the electronic actuator.  

hey mate, just in case you havent tested the n75 valve, it is 300hz, discovered it yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I knew that part, thanks. It is the duty cycle that I was unsure of

On 03/09/2020 at 11:44, sinner said:

The documentation is a bit misleading: Here  (page 140 and 141) the duty cycle is listed as 30% to 95% for both the E39 and E38, but WDS has it at 5% to 95%. For the E60, WDS has 10% to 95%,  with 10% vanes fully opened and 95% vanes fully closed.
 

 

Edited by sinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 4:26 PM, sinner said:

Yes, I knew that part, thanks. It is the duty cycle that I was unsure of

 

Have you had any luck building a harness for the servo motor?

I have been speaking to "turbobot" the tuning company and have been trying to figure out what type of harness they have for the servo, so it turns out there are 2 ways of doing this.

One is with the schematics in this thread, 2x resistors and a mosfet, or their way which is only 1 resistor (I dont know where tho)

The email describing it is this:

 

"You need reverse pwm.

 

With 2 resistors and mosfet

OR

Only 1 resistor and revers pwm in maps

Option with reverse pwm in maps is better because its impossible to fail. But mosfet didnt"

 

Not quite sure how to make sense of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Really liking everything you've done and are planning to do with your car/engine here! most of it goes over my head as I don't even know what a spanner is! I'm happy with the mild upgrades I've got on my 530d Touring daily, but might well do some of the changes/upgrades you've kindly shared here!

 

I might send some questions in if you don't mind !

 

Cheers, Dennis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

 

Really liking everything you've done and are planning to do with your car/engine here! most of it goes over my head as I don't even know what a spanner is! I'm happy with the mild upgrades I've got on my 530d Touring daily, but might well do some of the changes/upgrades you've kindly shared here!

 

I might send some questions in if you don't mind !

 

Cheers, Dennis!


Thanks Dennis,

Yes, happy to help.

Send a PM whenever. I'd prefer that to filling the thread with discussions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this might be hijacking this thread, but wanted to add some semi valuable info to this thread, if you require high flow nozzles the nozzles from a citroen PEUGEOT 406 HDI fit.

If you do want to buy new, Firad sells them PN  ASLA 142P795, just find your nearest dealer and ask them how much for a set of 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2020 at 13:34, bronx1987 said:

Sorry if this might be hijacking this thread, but wanted to add some semi valuable info to this thread, if you require high flow nozzles the nozzles from a citroen PEUGEOT 406 HDI fit.

If you do want to buy new, Firad sells them PN  ASLA 142P795, just find your nearest dealer and ask them how much for a set of 6.

 

Do you have any specs about the flow quantity? That 142 spray angle differs a bit from the original 145 but should be better than 160 degrees on M57N injectors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clavurion said:

 

Do you have any specs about the flow quantity? That 142 spray angle differs a bit from the original 145 but should be better than 160 degrees on M57N injectors.

I have bought those FIRAD and the supplier told me it was a 100% more than stock.
I currently have a Bosch-center fitting them to stock inectors and hopefully I can mount them in about a month or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daniels said:

I have bought those FIRAD and the supplier told me it was a 100% more than stock.
I currently have a Bosch-center fitting them to stock inectors and hopefully I can mount them in about a month or so.

 

So same as these?

 

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/firad-race-100-injector-nozzle-for-bmw-x30d-m57-184hp-engine.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to help you guys with nozzle options a bit more:

Factory 530d nozzles are 5x0.175mm

535d nozzles are 6x0.16mm (flow up to 450hp with the r90 cp3)

145p763 nozzles 5x0.185mm

145p 1091 5x0.20mm  ~ (huge flow)

144p 1050 6x0.18mm  ~ (huge flow)

FIRAD 142p 795 5x0.18mm

 

These are all DSLA and DLLA Common rail injector nozzles, so they should all be interchangeable.

If I get time I might buy a 535d injector and have a look to see what flow rates change to with the different nozzles.

Also, I have found out e39 525d (ending in 048) and 530d (ending in 047 or 266) injectors are identical except for the injector tips, so you can always pick up a 525d injector set if its cheaper and just swap nozzles on them.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sinner,

I have a question regarding the catch can, have you checked the oil amount seperated per like 10K miles in the can and is there a reason why you havent connected it to the sump with a ball valve to return it back to the engine every lets say 1-2K miles ?

I am planning the upgrade so your input will be highly very much appreciated

 

Thanks 

Saanak

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×