Pepi1677

Re Mapping G31/G32

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Any news on this? :rolleyes:

Quite literally spoke to soon, there is some talk of a CAN network based unlock, and programming the tuned file in with E-SYS. I'll see what else I can dig out, I have a hunch I know know what tool is doing the OBD unlock but that's TBC.

9 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

BMW G11 740dx
Stock: 320ps (235kW) and 680Nm
Tuned: 411ps (302kW) and 750Nm

Bosch MD1CP002 
DDE832C

B57D30T0

AWD
EU5
SW: O_8KUA1-00003630-028

Oof. Is that the european sequential twin turbo (40d?) or the twin power (what we get in the 530d?) or are they all the latter now?

Is there a 520d map out? 

8 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Oof. Is that the european sequential twin turbo (40d?) or the twin power (what we get in the 530d?) or are they all the latter now?

Is there a 520d map out? 

Got to be the twin turbo because the twin power (30d) isn't 320PS standard.

As far as I know they're all badged up as twin power turbo, but this one actually is the twin turbo model as Mobilejo says. 520D is under development. Extracting the file to modify is VERY challenging. I am considering offering this for people, but it will not be cheap, and it will obviously invalidate any kind of warranty too. We would also require the car for a considerable amount of time. I'm not sure if it's worth it at present. 

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

16 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

As far as I know they're all badged up as twin power turbo, but this one actually is the twin turbo model as Mobilejo says. 520D is under development. Extracting the file to modify is VERY challenging. I am considering offering this for people, but it will not be cheap, and it will obviously invalidate any kind of warranty too. We would also require the car for a considerable amount of time. I'm not sure if it's worth it at present. 

Thanks for the honesty.

Hopefully, there will be enough early adopters that by the time these cars are out of warranty, it'll be cheaper & easier for everyone else. ;-)

5 minutes ago, mobilejo said:

Thanks for the honesty.

Hopefully, there will be enough early adopters that by the time these cars are out of warranty, it'll be cheaper & easier for everyone else. ;-)

I would like to think so. I will do it for anyone willing to pay for it however I don't want to actively push it at the moment, but I certainly would be having a chat over the phone with whomever first to explain how it works, and what has to be deactivated in the ECU first. Realistically at the moment, you'd be looking at £1500+VAT for it to be worthwhile us taking the risk on. And should there by an issue causing the vehicle to not start, we would buy, fit and program a brand new ECU.

I've been on the phone this morning to a company I've known for a while, they have a tool coming out over the next couple of months that will cover at least Fxx MG1 petrol engines, and Gxx won't be far behind, it's in testing now. Full OBD flash based on virtual read. ECU opening not required. If there is enough interest through here, we will look into buying the tool. The maps will be much cheaper than the current method too. We'd probably be looking in the ballpark of £600 + VAT. We would just need some registered interest first before we would look into buying the tool, which itself is coming out at over £6000 + VAT. 

As it stands, G30 petrols and Fxx 140i are in for testing. Gxx still needs some testing and adjusting, but Fxx is tested and working.

18 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I've been on the phone this morning to a company I've known for a while, they have a tool coming out over the next couple of months that will cover at least Fxx MG1 petrol engines, and Gxx won't be far behind, it's in testing now. Full OBD flash based on virtual read. ECU opening not required. If there is enough interest through here, we will look into buying the tool. The maps will be much cheaper than the current method too. We'd probably be looking in the ballpark of £600 + VAT. We would just need some registered interest first before we would look into buying the tool, which itself is coming out at over £6000 + VAT. 

As it stands, G30 petrols and Fxx 140i are in for testing. Gxx still needs some testing and adjusting, but Fxx is tested and working.

Once a Map is out for the G30 520d I will certainly  be interested 

+another one for 520D interest but TBH I likely wouldn't go ahead until after the factory warranty expires.

Edited by Boba

*bump*

There is a lead time on the tool and the production runs are limited on the tool which launched at midnight yesterday, but we are now looking at buying one should there be enough interest. As I'm sure you can imagine it's quite a large investment for us so we'd need to confirm some interest first. We'd like to get 10 names confirmed that would be inclined to go ahead with a remap. 

This will cover Gxx chassis and Fxx chassis cars (140i for example) with MD1 and MG1 ECUs. 

I was in contact with a guy I work with in Luxemburg today who started work immediately on a stage 1 and 2 for the 140i.

ECU - MG1CS003

Standard  - 340BHP/500Nm

Stage 1 - 400BHP/580Nm

Stage 2 - 420BHP/620Nm

If you're interested, please put your name down on the list.

Edit - we're looking at a ballpark figure of £600 INC.VAT for tuning, just as a point of reference for people.

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

6 - 

7 -

8 -

9 -

10 -

So will this tool cover a G30 520d? If so, what gains are we talking about and how much trouble will I get at a service with warranty repairs?

On 7/19/2018 at 11:44 AM, sjak92 said:

So will this tool cover a G30 520d? If so, what gains are we talking about and how much trouble will I get at a service with warranty repairs?

Yes it will. Gains wise I'd like to say in the region of the 30-40BHP range on the 520D.

In regards to visiting the dealer, the remap can be hidden in the engine ECU in the same way it is done on the Fxx cars - the CVN (a calibration number for the engine map that will change if any software changes are made) is locked so it will match the standard engine tune. However that does not mean other ECUs will not log higher torque loads, acceleration loads etc. From a quick plug in as it stands BMW won't be able to tell it has been tuned, however if they want to dig deeper (for example start logging data and look for peak outputs from the driveline where they will see higher than standard torque for example) they will be able to find it. It would be best to take it as it's hard but not impossible for them to find, and it will cause you warranty issues if they do.

23 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

Do you have a solution for the weak torque-converter on the G30/G31? BMW replace the part in their MPPSK on the 540.

The torque converter isn't weak as such, it's on the specified limit by ZF from the factory. They state 500Nm max engine torque in a petrol which is bang on what the 540i knocks out, however the boxes and torque converters can and already have been taking well over the standard output in a variety of cars for a long time. The 8HP45 used in the 1 series and 2 series with the 35i engine certainly doesn't struggle. 

7 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes it will. Gains wise I'd like to say in the region of the 30-40BHP range on the 520D.

I think that 30 on top of 187 is at the low end of what I'd hoped for. Similar to the late F series though so I guess the engine is already reasonably well tuned in standard form.

I'm a bit vague as to what this is in the real world. Is the 187 at the wheels or the crankshaft? Similarly is the 30 increase at the wheels (assuming the same losses)?

ie what actual difference in performance would I see?

I'm interested though at your £600 mark (maybe it'll drop please please ;) ) but as I said earlier definitely only after the manufacturer's warranty is up (May 2020). With that caveat and to start the ball rolling :

1 - Boba 520D (May 2020)

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

6 -

7 -

8 -

9 -

10 -

Edited by Boba

Right so I could sign up to this if I keep my car. When will you start offering the service?

Firms really jumped on the bandwagon with these. All the companies I spoke with sometime again have emailed me over the past couple of days. 

On 7/20/2018 at 7:11 PM, Boba said:

I think that 30 on top of 187 is at the low end of what I'd hoped for. Similar to the late F series though so I guess the engine is already reasonably well tuned in standard form.

I'm a bit vague as to what this is in the real world. Is the 187 at the wheels or the crankshaft? Similarly is the 30 increase at the wheels (assuming the same losses)?

ie what actual difference in performance would I see?

I'm interested though at your £600 mark (maybe it'll drop please please ;) ) but as I said earlier definitely only after the manufacturer's warranty is up (May 2020). With that caveat and to start the ball rolling :

1 - Boba 520D (May 2020)

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

6 -

7 -

8 -

9 -

10 -

On 7/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, sjak92 said:

Right so I could sign up to this if I keep my car. When will you start offering the service?

23 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Firms really jumped on the bandwagon with these. All the companies I spoke with sometime again have emailed me over the past couple of days. 

Apologies for the delay replying I thought I had post notifications on this thread! In respect to power on top, yes, we are limited in what we can do with how stretched the engine is to begin with. Big gains are hard to make on the higher tuned 4 pot diesels when they're all very similar engines to begin with. 

Yes tools are now becoming available for it. It'll filter down more and more eventually as other tool manufacturers crack it. We are hanging fire for the minute due to long wait times from the tool manufacturer. We've been told an estimated 20 week wait time between order and delivery, I am talking with our current tool manufacturers at the moment to see what their progress is on MD1 and MG1. If they have something in the pipeline already that will allow us to jump the queue (effectively) we will be able to offer at an even more reduced price. 

I'll keep in touch, and I have turned on post notifications for this thread! 

Right so before this goes quiet pending further developments, I have one last question (which I should have asked ages ago tbh).

Warranty is one thing, but how does a remap effect a PCP? I wouldnt want a horror story. Has anyone on here remapped a car in the past that was on a PCP?

Is the agreement not to either keep the vehicle or return it as received allowing for normal usage? I ask this as I've never used a contract or hire plan.

One point, PCP or not ISTM, is that a future owner could end up with either warranty (original or extended) or insurance problems as a result of an undeclared remap. I've never heard of such an issue but it does seem to have the potential for liability.

Never troubled me either I might add ;) .

<edit>Actually  I had a BSR PPC remap on my Insignia and offered it for half price to the buyer. He didn't want it so I unmapped it and scrapped the PPC. Not so simple with most mappers though.<\edit>

Edited by Boba

I'm sure that a good remap from a reputable company will not cause any issues and mapping the car back to original settings before returning should be easy enough. Just thinking of the worst case scenario which would be either being forced to return the car and pay anything outstanding on it after returning to stock or being forced to buy it outright and loose the warranty.

Also, no matter what, if sold as AUC the car will still get a years warranty. My old F10 which should have been scrapped and turned into cans was sold on with a 1 year AUC warranty and everything was going wrong on that car in terms of mechanics except the engine. 

The issue I have now is if its worth the point essentially. Job change means my commute is going down from 42 miles to 12 miles a day as of next month. I may as well keep the car as is and trade in in the near future for a petrol once i claw back some of the excess miles (a 540i looks perfect to me and the I have been tempted with an Alpina B5 but i cannot justify the figures)  or remap and enjoy it a little longer and end up with positive equity at say year 3 of owning the car. With the decreased miles, i'll never see the money back in terms of increased efficiency, but car would be better to drive - i have been assured that the DPF will cause no issues if given a good stretch on the motorway from time to time. Also it would make a lot of sense to wait until around June/July 2020 (when my warranty runs out) as that will be approaching the G3x LCI release so you get a fresher car and possibly new engines too. 

Sorry for rambling on haha, just not sure which basket to stick my eggs in. Need to see what the PCP paperwork says essentially. 

My friend owns a local tuning company and he done my F10, he texted me to say he has the new G30 Maps in for the 535D extra 81bph, thou I will be giving it a miss, 3 year warranty is worth more than an extra 81bph. He uses Celtic tuning maps, all the G30 specs are on their website.

I had a positive experience on my F10 remap, wether or not it actually became more powerful, I definitely had a 3 mpg improvement.

The issue with a remap is ... its like going from Standard def to HD Tv, you notice it for the first 5 mins and the only time you notice it again is when you switch back to standard def.